The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Bobby sings the whole thing...

2. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Maybe that's why it's so perfect - no confusion about who-sings-what...

bzfgt likes this.
  3. bzfgt

6/17/91....a Dark Star "tease" and two Dark Star jams...

4. bzfgt

Oops, wrong thread....

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

And listen to Keith's cascade from 3:38-3:41; it's lovely.

adamos, dgwint and US Blues like this.
  6. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Anybody every get really into a show or run of shows you don't hear talked about much. Not sure what it is but I am in love with the 3 show run they did in Albany, New York in 1993. It started with my obsession with the track "Days Between" which led me to getting the Albany '93 show off Ebay from the big 30 trips box. I love the track and that show but found the next night on Youtube which I think I like even more. I am still waiting for the 3rd night's soundboard to finish downloading from bt.etree.org but expect that one to be great as well. This show was only a few months before my high school graduation. I wasn't really into the Grateful Dead at the time (other then I had and enjoyed In The Dark which I got when it was released) but like that these shows are from "my era" of being into music as a young guy. I wasn't even born during the amazing Europe '72 tour and was only a little guy during the Spring '77 shows. Looking back at the bands history of shows/tours, I missed them playing my town by about 3 years (they last played Oklahoma City in 1985 and I didn't really start going to shows until 1988).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    budwhite, nitsuj, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  7. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Lovely indeed. Right after that, Phil gives a nice smile and turns to his left, but I'm not sure if it's prompted by Keith or not. It may be that Phil is generally just feelin' it as they're racing towards the finish line of a great performance.

8. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Congrats my good sir! Also, I agree, I love the artwork in the July 78 box

SBegonias17, Crispy Rob and dzhason like this.
  9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I believe that when, two months or so ago, I broke out Aoxomoxoa to listen to on a whim one night, which led to my first post on this thread. I made the mistake of asking about folks favorite Dark Stars... and here I am now, many weeks later, tracking down Dave's Picks and Road Trips, streaming sets via Relisten, and about to buy my first GD boxed set.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Ezzie, US Blues, budwhite and 7 others like this.
  10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'd bet my house that he's reacting to Keith's playing of that. I did very much the same thing when on stage. There were times when I couldn't help but smile so hard that I was almost laughing. When something spontaneous works, only the luddites don't hear it and it's beyond my comprehension that Phil or any other established musician could be considered to be a luddite; especially Phil.

adamos, dzhason, Ezzie and 4 others like this.
  11. That initial rush, when it really clicks for the first time :edthumbs:.

12. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Hopefully Jackson 5 era. It was all downhill from there.:D:wiggle:

Cassius, Ezzie, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I believe hoggydoggy was talking that up a few days ago, I had just listened as part of my 1969 marathon.

That was my first listen to 'the Seven' it didn't sound at all like I expected it to.

Now for a complete change of pace, I was reading a Hall and Oates thread hereabouts, which called this to mind:

The Grateful Dead Featuring Hall and Oates - 9-24-88 at MSG

bzfgt, Scopitone and Crispy Rob like this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Finishing 5/26/77 Baltimore, which I noticed was on the list of shows on the electronic banner from back when the Dave's Picks series was initially announced. First time I've listened to this show, except for the three tracks that have been released as part of the 30 Days of Dead over the past few Novembers. So, a couple of indicators right there that this show is on very much on Dave's radar, and will probably be the next May '77 show to be released, although we probably won't be for a while.

For my money this is a much better show than the still-very-good Richmond show from the previous night released as Dave's Picks 1. I've already said plenty about the first set, but the Terrapin->Estimated->Eyes->Not Fade Away->Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad sequence is outstanding. This show has a similar energy level to Boston 5/7/77, probably it's closest cousin in the tour in some ways. Saturday night energy on a Thursday. Also, a rare first set-closing Bertha in the town of Bertha's Mussels (it has been waaay too long since I set foot in that place). ReverbWatch(TM): It's got reverb. Betty's gotta Betty.

15. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Aside from the emotional ones at end of December, are there any good - or at least "worth hearing" - shows in '86? Let's be honest.

16. Scopitone

Watching 3/29/90 Eyes as I get ready to go to sleep.

bzfgt and DrLunchbox like this.
  17. Scopitone

When you can't get enough, and you can't comprehend why the rest of the world doesn't understand.

dzhason, bzfgt and Blue Note like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My favorite of the year out of those I have heard, by a pretty good margin, is 12/30/86, which has a great second set with the Neville Brothers, although I know that doesn't meet your criteria. 2/11/86 Kaiser, 3/24/86 Spectrum (very good Dew), 3/27/86 Cumberland (interesting first set with the only Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues ever played) are all ones that I like. 3/20/86 Hampton had the return of Box of Rain, but I haven't listened to the whole show.

I haven't heard too much from the April-June west coast shows, except for the Cal Expo one released on 30 Trips and maybe one or two others ages ago, so can't speak to those very well. The summer shows where Dylan joined them are worth hearing if you are a fan of Dylan, even if neither artist was at their best.

19. Scopitone

Yeah! That's the kind of info I was curious about, thanks.

20. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

FYI...it looks like the 6 LP Long Trange Trip release is up again on Amazon - just under 1,500 copies remain.

ianuaditis likes this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

4 May 1977 may be the most psychedelic show of the month. Therefore, it should be next. Therefore, it won't be, not commercial enough.

Give me Psychedelia, or give me Dea... er...the Jackson 5!

SBegonias17 and dzhason like this.
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

And, that little cascade is a small fractal of why I love Keith as the keyboardist. The guy was simply born to play in this band.

Crispy Rob, Archtop and budwhite like this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Jerry started singing on Jack Straw in May 72.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and budwhite like this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Dave's 22, 12/7/71. Sugaree. Very nice! Uh-oh, trouble brewing in Tuningvillefordton. Jack Straw. Please, for the love of Pigpen, take an extended break for tuning. Ouch. :laugh: Next Time You See Me. The tuning train seems to be back on schedule. Could take this tune or leave it, I believe. Tennessee Jed. Now that's more like it. :love: El Pasi. It appears on several of the sets Ive recently acquired. Jury's out on this one. It may become one of those tunes I pass over.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

D@mn it, Siri. Why do you always think you know better?

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.