The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead Super Deluxe Edition 3CD+DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnBR, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is interesting, imwan has posted Amazon UK preorder links for an upcoming The Queen Is Dead Super Deluxe Edition 2CD+DVD, and also a Deluxe Edition 2CD only, both apparently to be released on October 20:

TS CD/DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Music
    TS OA + AR by TBC: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Here's the tracklist for the 2CD version, as currently posted on Amazon UK:

Disc: 1
    1. The Queen Is Dead (2017 Master)
    2. Frankly, Mr. Shankly (2017 Master)
    3. I Know It's Over (2017 Master)
    4. Never Had No One Ever (2017 Master)
    5. Cemetry Gates (2017 Master)
    6. Bigmouth Strikes Again (2017 Master)
    7. The Boy With the Thorn In His Side (2017 Master)
    8. Vicar In a Tutu (2017 Master)
    9. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (2017 Master)
    10. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (2017 Master)

Disc: 2
    1. The Queen Is Dead (Full Version)
    2. Frankly, Mr. Shankly (Demo)
    3. I Know It's Over (Demo)
    4. Never Had No One Ever (Demo)
    5. Cemetry Gates (Demo)
    6. Bigmouth Strikes Again (Demo)
    7. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (Demo)
    8. The Boy With the Thorn In His Side (Demo Mix)
    9. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (Take 1)
    10. Rubber Ring (Single B-Side) [2017 Master]
    11. Asleep (Single B-Side) [2017 Remaster]
    12. Money Changes Everything (Single B-Side) [2017 Master]
    13. Unloveable (Single B-Side) [2017 Master]

2. JohnBR

Apparently Amazon hasn't finalized the artist and album titles yet.

I wonder if the "Demo Mix" of The Boy with the Thorn in His Side is actually the single version?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    tmtomh likes this.
  3. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I think the biggest question would obviously be: is the audio on tracks 10 and 11 of CD 2 connected as on the original 12"?

mooseman, sekaer, Togo and 4 others like this.
  4. JohnBR

Probably not, right? I mean, have they ever been segued like that on any other release, including the CD single?

5. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Another remaster?! They must be really bent on becoming the most extreme parody of "Paint a Vulgar Picture" they possibly can.

The Smiths are one of my all-time top 5 artists but this is both ridiculous and sad.

6. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

indeed. so much for marr's six-year-old remastering job being definitive. and of course this set is missing the single version of "boy with the thorn"—the one track we didn't get back then. stop selling this endless knob-twiddling and give us a proper rarities set

also, this is quite interesting: purported track list of cancelled 2006 TQID reissue. compare and contrast...

Diego Lucas, shaboo, AJK74 and 2 others like this.
  7. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

I'd be satisfied with even a "complete" b-sides collection at this point

8. JohnBR

I'm hoping that at least "The Boy With the Thorn In His Side (Demo Mix)" is actually the single version, but not counting on it.

tmtomh likes this.
  9. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Pretty sure the U.K. Cd single has them joined like the 12". It would be very glad to have them together on a set like this.

I wonder what would be on a DVD?

10. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

i'm no expert, but it doesn't sound like the the single version to me (or a demo for that matter)—too much swell in the strings before the vocals kick in

JohnBR likes this.
  11. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

The Derek Jarman short (13m) surely must be part of the DVD...

www.imdb.com/title/tt1171261/

I know those amazon prices are only tentative, but the 2CD is £16, and the 2CD/DVD is £36 ! £20 extra for a DVD ? lol

CrazyCatz likes this.
  12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Interested in the DVD. Any idea on the content?

13. George P

George P Notable Member

The Queen is Dead. Capitalism is alive and well.

14. JohnBR

You're right, I didn't realize this "Demo Mix" had been released recently and was already available for comparison. Oh well, another missed opportunity then!

15. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i'm interested in this. weren't the last remasters loud and compressed? here's hoping they continue with the rest of the catalogue.

Tojo and tmtomh like this.
  16. Pash

Pash New Member

I bought the Complete Smiths box set back in the day and remember a slight dropout towards the end of Bigmouth Strikes Again on The Queen Is Dead (on both CD and LP). I ended up replacing it with the version from The World Won't Listen (which was unaffected) when I ripped it to my hard drive.

Anyone else notice this at the time? Hopefully this new master will rectify the issue.

DLeet likes this.
  17. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

Unless the new remaster restores the dynamic range of the original vinyl and CDs, and maintains the improved clarity of the last digital remasters, then this will be a worthless exercise for those who care about the sound of the digital releases. I have the 24-bit downloads from the last releases, which are my go-to listen, but it may be a forlorn hope to see the compressor being dialed-down this time around. It'll be interesting to see what differences this 2017 remaster has. If it a pure money-making exercise, then they would have used the last remasters?

18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Since when does 2 CD+DVD=Super Deluxe?

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Now that OK Computer has seen a super deluxe edition then I can't think of another album of the last 35 years that deserves a deluxe treatment more than TQID but it's very underwhelming, essentially some demo tracks.

I know the Smiths were unbelievable in the studio and basically released every song they started on at the time, and there was a lot of material released in a short time, so it's not like they are going to have a great wealth of unreleased material or even any, so I don't know what they could have done but the album deserves better.

You know I will buy it anyway.

CrazyCatz, marmalade, bob60 and 2 others like this.
  20. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The DVD is rumored to include a professionally shot show from Salford in 1986. A fan recording was also recorded and has since found its way onto youtube.

marmalade likes this.
  21. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

The £36 price is certainly Super-Deluxe...

I'd be suprised if there wasn't a vinyl version of the 2CD at some point...probably in some stupidly limited editon for RSD or something...

22. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

You're right about the CD-singles for "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side", both on Rough Trade & Festival.
    There's hope yet for the segue to be there: on the CD-singles the two songs are indexed separately.

23. guidedbyvoices

Huh that would be cool. I'd love a live smiths video, prefer it to be blu ray though for lossless sound. Setlist looks much like Rank, was Gannon still in the band at this point?

The Smiths Setlist at Salford University, Salford

And I have the single lp remaster, but would buy this again on vinyl for the second disc.

24. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Probaly this is the best release since Rank, finally Rarities, but strange, no Vicar In A Tutu demo.

25. guidedbyvoices

The single version, album version, and demo mix are all from the same basic track and vocal right? Subtle differences but nothing earth shaking to me. Certainly not as different and interesting as take 1 of there is a light....

tmtomh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.