"Dusty in Memphis": multitrack re-mix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsrstereo, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsrstereo

jsrstereo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I raised this question a long time age, here:

"Dusty in Memphis": is a remix possible?

Given that Real Gone has just released a remix of "Brand New Me", is it now time for a "Memphis" re-mix? -- assuming, of course, that the multi's still exist, which remains my real question.

???

2. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

Sure... They'll remix it so that each element is crystal clear and tonally neutral and then compress it into a thin plastic sheet with no traces of natural echo and no volume separation between the elements. It will sound okay when played at a moderate volume on gigantic speakers and will sound terrible on all other systems. But it will be punchy. Can't wait.

Rhett, art and majorlance like this.
  3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I believe In Memphis is borderline; the multitrack masters may exist, they also may have gone up in Atlantic's warehouse fire.

sunspot42 and Man at C&A like this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Now that the mono mix is commercially available, I'm not sure it'd matter, but the stereo mix could certainly be...re-balanced to much better effect. Hearing the entire drum kit hard-panned to the right on virtually the entire record makes for somewhat uncomfortable headphone listening. Just fixing that one thing would do wonders for it...the rest of the mix seems okay.

5. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

It would only be a cash cow.
    Its not broken So doesn't need fixing.

dalem5467 likes this.
  6. jsrstereo

jsrstereo Forum Resident Thread Starter

You're right - it's not broken - I'm just hoping for a tasteful re-shuffling of its parts.

7. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Is that CD or Vinyl.

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I thought the multis went up in the infamous Atlantic warehouse fire....so if so, then no.

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Bastard fire!

11. Kundera the joke.

Kundera the joke. Senior Member

Just noticed that on Amazon there is a pre-order up for a vinyl release of Dusty In Memphis due July 25th. Price is £43.99 which suggests one of two things. A box set or the price is wrong.

The is no ifo whatsoever regarding the contents.

I’m not sure of forum rules regarding links. The catalogue no. is B073S1WQ5Z
    A search only takes me to the Amazon site.

12. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

13. skiddlybop

skiddlybop Forum Resident

Seems to me the multis won't sound so great, considering the hiss on every reissue on CD so far.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Seems strange as that is only a week away and with limited info, doubtful anyone will pre-order. Also, new releases tend to come out on Friday's and not Tuesday's.

Kundera the joke. likes this.
  15. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I'm normally against remixing things especially if Tom Dowd was originally involved but this is a weird sounding album to me.

The vocals sound 'phasey' and sometimes sibilant on a lot of the songs on every version I've ever heard especially on the Rhino Inglot/Harsh remaster where they consider the most important elements to be the hihat and the 'essssssses'.

Surely the mono must be a fold-down, a designated mono mix seems unlikely in '69.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.