Yes - Going For The One and Tormato. Yes experts what say you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stax o' wax, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Pretty sure that my first copy of Tormato (used vinyl in the late 80s) was a cutout. :)

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Tormato has it's moments, not many, but still...
    GFTO, well, lots to like on that album. Just wish the sonics weren't so washed out. Very disappointing.

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

GFTO is a very good album------Tormato is boring YES.

4. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

This is Yes' big weakness overall. I hear it on TFTO and GFTO also. For some reason, it's not a problem at all on Relayer (interesting that that's he only album in that stretch without Wakeman). My guess is that Howe and Wakeman were fighting for influence within the band and they didn't have a strong third voice to balance them out.

Interestingly, I just listened to Magnification the other day, which I regard as one of their better albums. No keyboardist, and Howe was kept in his place. I remember reading an interview with him in Guitar Player magazine shortly after the album came out in which he was bemoaning the fact that they cut out many of his guitar overdubs and buried him in the mix. Not a team player, that one.

mx20 likes this.
  5. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

GFTO: Mostly good - Awaken is stellar
    Tormato: Mostly not good - IMHO

6. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Honestly, I only hear it on Tormato. Maybe it's just that the arrangements on TFTO and GFTO, IMO (geez the acronyms), called for lots of sound and complexity coming from Rick and Steve at the same time. Maybe I'm not addressing the same thing here, but in classical music, there are parts where you have lots of sections playing complex parts all on top of each other and it works because that's what the arrangement calls for. IMO, it's the same thing on TFTO and GFTO, though honestly I don't even hear it on GFTO.

stax o' wax likes this.
  7. Wounded Land

I just think that if you compare what Howe and Wakeman are playing on The Yes Album, Fragile, and CTTE to the later stuff you can hear a big difference in how they construct their parts. It's not an issue of multiple melodic lines playing simultaneously (I'm cool with that). What it sounds like to me is egos clashing.

8. zen

zen Senior Member

Wasn't it the Tormato sessions where Jon Anderson let go of being dictator/Napoleon?

9. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Magnification. Is this where the Howe Anderson divide starts?

Frankh likes this.
  10. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I like Magnification a lot as well. I certainly don't miss "more Howe", since his guitar tone has been set to easy listening for a number of years (decades). :laugh:

Wounded Land likes this.
  11. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's not an issue at all on GFTO. the band's arrangements are fantastic.
    Had Eddie Offord been there he could have helped some with the mix.

AidanB likes this.
  12. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

You'll be off to the Circus Of Heaven then....

13. Wounded Land

I think that the mix exacerbates the problem. I, for one, could do without Howe's constant barrage of lap-steel licks in the title track.

sbeck201 likes this.
  14. Wounded Land

No idea. The history of Yes is a soap opera...

15. zen

zen Senior Member

In May 2008, a scheduled 40th-anniversary "Close to the Edge and Back" tour—which was to feature Oliver Wakeman on keyboards—was abruptly cancelled prior to rehearsals, after Anderson suffered an asthma attack and was diagnosed with acute respiratory failure, and was advised by doctors to avoid touring for six months. Anderson has said that they had been preparing four new "lengthy, multi-movement compositions" for the tour, but he had expressed disinterest in producing a new studio album after the low sales of Magnification, suggesting that recording one was not "logical anymore."

In September 2008, the remaining band members, eager to resume touring regardless of Anderson's availability, announced a series of concerts under the name Steve Howe, Chris Squire and Alan White of Yes, with new lead singer Benoît David, a Canadian musician and member of Mystery and of the Yes tribute band Close to the Edge. Anderson expressed his disappointment that his former bandmates had not waited for his recovery, nor handled the situation "in a more gentlemanly fashion," and while he wished them well, he referred to their ongoing endeavors as "solo work" and emphasized his view that their band "is not Yes. - wikipedia

16. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

It's weird... on Tales I hear a LOT of Steve adding fills, perhaps overplaying even in parts. But on Tales it WORKS. On Tormato it doesn't. For me, anyway...

17. stax o' wax

Are you listening to this album on CD?

AidanB likes this.
  18. Wounded Land

I have it both on CD and LP. Why?

19. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

My favorite 'overplaying' moment is when the vocals first enter in Sound Chaser (at about 1:14)...the band (Howe particularly) are doing the exact opposite of playing a supportive accompaniment to the vocals. It seems to be something they were perversely doing on that track - yet it still seems to work. On Tormato, there are times the overplaying is just too much.

willy, AidanB and CybrKhatru like this.
  20. stax o' wax

I think the mix on GFTO sounds much better on LP.

I have heard some GFTO cd's and a SACD that sound very flat and bright.
    But I have not by any means heard all the cd versions out there.

21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I see what you did there! :laugh:

Going is actually my favorite Yes album, even more than their earlier classics. And songs I originally did not like as much, like "Awaken" I have gotten to like more and more. I wish I could have been in San Luis Obispo when they played that material and recorded it. I'll also second the props to Drama-it is a really interesting album. I wonder if it would have been better received without the YES name on?

By the way, anyone like One Live Badger?

22. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Yes, Drama is an excellent Yes album.

23. Francis A Carr

Francis A Carr Member

YES..Close to the Edge.. my fav. GOING FOR THE ONE. Not bad Patrick Moraz. Tom? What. . Haven't listened to in years. Too bad it took soo long for hall of fame induction ,

24. Francis A Carr

Francis A Carr Member

This album went way under rated. To me.. in the top 5

25. Francis A Carr

Francis A Carr Member

It's not no "Fish out of water.". But sequence is notable. . Tre old school YES following did not appreciate. .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.