Experience Hendrix extend Sony Deal ...................

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gordon Johnson, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jimi Hendrix Estate Renews Licensing Deal With Sony Music Entertainment (EXCLUSIVE)

Lets hope Sony have the CD's re mastered for the upcoming re releases. Even tracking points need reviewing in some instances for the core catalogue. Sony appear to have simply re labelled the MCA / Universal CD's which inherently passed on the same issues.

Also, lets hope for better mastered vinyl from the Sony Music European arm, some of the recent mastering is exceptionally poor.

marcfeld69, Maidenpriest, jhm and 5 others like this.
  2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I'd rather not have the temptation of having to buy the catalogue yet again, but just give us the Albert Hall film and be done with it.

3. David67

David67 Forum Resident

In addition to Royal Albert Hall, I very much welcome a remastering of the studio albums considering the Sq of both Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge.

4. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Yes - and more studio recordings! :righton:

Shawn likes this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well that is good I s'pose...no holdup in the release schedule. As for Albert Hall, I stopped anticipating anything long ago.

Maidenpriest and footlooseman like this.
  6. Gordon Johnson

Well the RAH and related material has nothing to do with any deal with any licencing company. No change with that.

As for re -issues, EH and Sony are in the process of that again. That / this will be the issuing of the core cat' for the third time under the Sony agreement?

It's shaming to think that the CD's have been treated so shabbily through the whole tenure of EH and that all the inherent issues simply were passed onto Sony who simply stuck there name on the covers.

Lets hope stock will be taken and the CD's get the treatment they deserve. 16 bit is a great way to hear this stuff but not when corners are cut and the detail is not catered to in the first instance.

7. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I'm happy with my nineteen seventies COL and RB vinyl, the 2014 CD reissues sound good to me too.. Maybe the thing to do would be to release everything in the highest quality bit rate downloads possible, maybe EH could do a big box of USB sticks with download codes for backup. Would that make everyone happy, doubt it somehow, many of us older blokes always have to have something to complain about...

8. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Where did it say they were re-issuing anything?

905 likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

no mention that I see of how many years the deal is or what may be released. maybe black gold next year

DarylB and EVOLVIST like this.
  10. Gordon Johnson

The article didn't but they have been re issuing a lot of material during their tenure. If you do a search you will also see what is planned in the coming months as re -issues.

They have been re issuing vinyl since 2014 and new ones keep appearing through sub licences to Barnes and Noble, FNAC, Newbury Comic's. Lots of easy money to be made from re -issuing as it is simply repackaging for the most part. With the vinyl it often gets a re-master [in Europe from digital source] and it leaves a lot to be desired!

11. Gordon Johnson

But I must add, the Newbury AYE [US track list] is the best I have heard this and ELL [Still available I think] from Newbury is also as good [better] to be honest] as I have heard from any label. The Barnes and Noble ELL is a good investment too.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I bet they are planning super deluxe boxes after having seen what has been going on with Led Zep and Stones.
    A Maui docu will be next up (but probably without a CD/vinyl in parallel).
    I expect they'll also do another album of outtakes etc. which will probably include one or two more extracts from the Black Gold tape.

JoeF., Maidenpriest, dee and 2 others like this.
  13. Gordon Johnson

I'd be very surprised if the option to issue an audio set along with the Maui Doc' was not taken up.

Fidelity wise we have had worse sounding already so I don't think that will be an issue for EH / Sony. It's not for me!

Deluxe box sets? Maybe for ELL but they missed the 50th AYE anniversary so I don't expect anything on that one. ABAL? Your guess is as good as mine here. Depends on what they have I would suppose.

Black Gold, yes a lot of this will appear in dribs and drabs but I doubt all of it will make it out from official source.

Maidenpriest and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It could be a Dagger but I'd be surprised to see Sony put it out (unless the master tapes are in better shape than what we have heard on bootlegs). There are the tracks that Mitch overdubbed for the film of course but is there an album's worth?

15. Gordon Johnson

Dagger is an option, especially as it no longer is a "limited" label. I think we even had the Koln vinyl available outside of direct ordering from AH.
    something to look forward to.

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I would love if EH have found a complete, alternate source in perfect quality of Maui, hidden in a surfing board for 50 years! Otherwise, meh.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Whatever happened with the "Black Gold" material?

DrBeatle and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

ABAL would make a great multi-disc set. Both stereo mixes and the mono, then a disc of outtakes/live stuff.

mikew likes this.
  19. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

Now sony are going to start pressing vinyl again in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jimi's LPs being pressed over there.

20. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Please let us get new remasters with no compression so we can be rid of the 1997 recycled remasters.

21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Yes, of course, for the Japanese market, they likes their obis ya know..

22. Dang it!
    It's [well passed] time to do SA-CD's!!
    The "S" in SA-CD practically stands for Sony.
    Ugh.
    Get HiRez out now!!!

:angel:

Quark1134, Hamhead, Tullman and 3 others like this.
  23. Whenever will it be released you mean?
    Cause EH has the "material" [cassette].
    Other's here at SHMF has speculated, because of the source, it may be Dagger "material".
    "Suddenly November Morning" was released on the "WCSB" box set. The only "Black Gold" tape track released so far.
    Versions of "Black Gold" songs "Astro Man", "Stepping Stone", "Machine Gun", & "Drifting" have been released [as "Hendrix Heads"® know].
    Fear Janie will continue to release one viable track at a time; till only the entire tape release is left for consumption.
    Cause Jimi's legacy has always been just product to the keepers [to put it politely] of Hendrix's tapes [don't know for certain any have even considered it "music"] & his literal image [golf balls/ugh)].

Hope it gets or got a tube-stage conversion to Hi/Rez at least...
    before the next track is released as a "RSD" ceedee single for like 20 bucks [Just Joking/i hope]!!

Janie said this decade, for release & the clock is still ticking.
    Not holding my breath tho.

24. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I for one would like to commend the Experience Hendrix/Sony team for excellent low cost reissues of the Hendrix catalog. The initial pressings also were high quality in terms of the cover and other packaging.

iggyd, Headfone, ODShowtime and 3 others like this.
  25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Gordon which of the recent EU vinyl releases would you say are sub par on the mastering front?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.