Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

"Jason Jones is my son!"

That's great and all, I guess, but ... meh ... not that compelling ... :shrug:

MikeInFla likes this.
  2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

In this day and age it's flat out stupid. It strains credulity.

Stormrider77 and j4yheindeo like this.
  3. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Just Vince McMahon/Ken Kennedy 2.0

MikeInFla and j4yheindeo like this.
  4. j4yheindeo

^ Good call Dugan ~! :tiphat:

MikeInFla and Dugan like this.
  5. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Please don't be offended but that RED lettering hurts the eyes. :)

Stormrider77 likes this.
  6. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Did someone say Steroids?

7. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Sammy Banderas and MikeInFla like this.
  9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

:sigh: Its been done.....

RayS likes this.
  10. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

I am a fan of Sumo wrestling.

11. jmobrien68

No... Hornswoggle is Vince's son... :rolleyes:

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  12. RayS

And Chad Gable is Kurt Angle's OTHER son. The American Beta.

13. jmobrien68

And Seth Rollins is Triple H & Chyna's son... we could do this for weeks.

14. j4yheindeo

:laughup:

15. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

And the brother of X-Pac! Wait... that would make X-Pac Trip's & Chyna's son too and then he went on to date Chyna. Nevermind!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I truly wish sometimes I could UNsee things I have seen. Why in hell did I WATCH that tape?:bigeek::doh::hide:

j4yheindeo and MikeInFla like this.
  17. I used to be a fan, in the 60s, when we only had B&W television, so when the older, more savvy guys told me they were using ketchup for blood I liked to believe them because I would have absolutely hated real blood shedding!

Even today if I come upon one of these corny old shows where guys fight using those unlikely, elaborate holds that don't look like they even hurt the stuntman a little bit, I'm sort of mesmerized by the TV screen... Like it's closer to choreography than actual physical violence.

In "Mythologies" (1957), semiotician Roland Barthes perfectly described the archetypal myths behind pro wrestling - they called it "catch" in France, the English word as in the phrase "catch as catch can" - as well as the reasons why they fascinate and do not lure (reality vs. show) the fans at all. Some of these reasons easily take us into political territory. I will only say that I highly recommend this particular essay and book in general.

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. RayS

I have long pondered whether retired grapplers who had specialized in the "catch as catch can" style in their day now retrospectively described their careers as "caught as caught could".

ianuaditis and ParloFax like this.
  19. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Ewww!!! :)

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I was watching the dusty rhodes dvd wwe released about a decade ago. always great to watch these old matches. I have dvds by superstar billy graham, 2 ric flair 3 disc sets, roddy piper, bret hart, shawn michaels, the four horsemen, ricky steamboat.

any other good dvd sets of old school guys? why isn't there a harley race set? always wondered why the billy graham set was just 1 dvd.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think there's a history of WCW one that's good.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

I think I have that one too and the rise and fall of WCCW wrestling

23. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

The AWA set is nice too. As for the WCCW set, I have it. The back says it has the Ultimate Warrior. I watched the whole thing and don't remember seeing Warrior at all (Dingo or Ultimate).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

who do you say are the all time greatest wrestlers?

what do you think are the all time greatest matches?

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Thinking back, for me the most memorable matches I watched growing up were mostly from the AWA. WWF had all the superstars and 20 different programs on each weekend, but that AWA program beaming out of the mysterious Showboat Sports Pavilion in Las Vegas Nevada put on such an entertaining show. Here are a couple AWA matches I've never forgotten:

Curt Hennig vs. Nick Bockwinkel - maybe the greatest match I've ever seen. It was New Years Eve (I think), and the entire hour broadcast was this one damn match, and my God did they put on a wrestling clinic. And a real blood bath too! I stuck with Hennig right through to his WWF run. It's a shame he died so young. I think he was one of the best in the business.

Midnight Rockers vs. Doug Summers and Buddy Rose - The Midnight Rockers were never quite as cool when they went to the WWF and dropped the "Midnight" from their name. But this match was a brutal affair.

I still spent the majority of my time watching WWF shows and Pay Per View events, though. I loved Paul Orndorff and loved to see him put a beating on Hulk Hogan. I wish they would have given him the title. He needs to have his own DVD collection. He doesn't get the respect he deserves. And when Randy Savage arrived I was all about The Macho Man. I remember when he won the IC belt from Tito Santana (or 'Chico' as Jesse Ventura called him) at the Boston Garden by using a foreign object.

I liked Jake 'the Snake' Roberts too. I remember he and The Macho Man finally tangling on an episode of Saturday Night's Main Event. I have the Saturday Night's Main Event DVD and it's my favorite WWF DVD collection. So many great memories of staying up late to catch the show (often failing and dozing off...I was young). I remember fallling asleep and missing the Uncle Elmer wedding. Dammit.

I rewatch old matches just to hear Bobby Heenan's witty commentary. That man was a comedic genius. He was so quick. I still laugh and laugh at his old one liners. And his short lived "talk show" at the end of "Prime Time Wrestling".

In hindsight another of my favorite WWF performers was The Big Boss Man. He's so underrated. Look back at his old matches and marvel at the speed and agility of this big man. A memorable match of his that I revisit sometimes is a steel cage match with Hulk Hogan. The Boss Man elevates this match above and beyond the usual eye rake/back scratch/body slam/leg drop Hogan match. At one point Hogan superplexes The Bossman off the top of the damn cage. Incredible moment.

I'd watch "World Class Championship Wrestling" on Saturday mornings and in the afternoons after school on ESPN (where they aired older material). The Freebirds/Von Erich feud was great. The diabolical Gary Hart was a very entertaining manager (and I gained even more admiration for him after watching the WCCW DVD...may he rest in peace).

For a little while one of the UHF stations in the area started showing UWF wrestling. Here I met Ted DiBiase, Jim Duggin, One Man Gang, Sting, Ice Man King Parsons, Dr. Death Steve Williams. I don't think it was around long in my area but I enjoyed it while it was.

TBS didn't come to my area until later in the 80's so I became associated with the NWA/WCW later than the others. I watched it too but never felt as strong for it as I did the other promotions (though I was on board at the start of the NWO era, which was fun...for a little while). It was fun watching The Four Horsemen walk around in their satin jackets and beat people up back in the day. The only thing that's popping in my head at the moment is Dusty Rhodes as the Midnight Rider. Oh, and Terry Funk putting a plastic bag of Ric Flair's head and pile driving him through a table. That was fun. I've always like Terry. I remember that time on TNT where he and the Funk Brothers hanged Lord Alfred Hayes (and dumped a vat of barbecue sauce on him no less!).

It's a shame Vince destroyed all these promotions. It was nice to have such variety and not always have to be bogged down by the cartoony gimmicks of the WWF.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017