Summer 2017 Criterion Sale at Barnes & Noble*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by jojopuppyfish, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

For anyone who owns it, is it worth getting the Apu Trilogy

2. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Ordered a few more:
    Umbrellas of Cherbourg
    Earrings of Madame De...
    Late Spring
    Ballad of Narayama

3. suomynona

suomynona Forum Resident

Haha. I used a coupon on every individual title I purchased.

4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

What titles... How Much?

5. suomynona

suomynona Forum Resident

Just used the same coupon over and over again. Both in store (for the ones that wouldn't accept a coupon online), and online (for each one that worked with a coupon). Benefits of being a member, I guess. This was before they blocked coupons completely from being able to be used on Criterion titles. Some worked, some didn't. That's when I went into the store.

6. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I'm the same way. If I bought every Criterion that I wanted, I'd have to declare bankruptcy, lol!

7. lightbulb

His Girl Friday
    - a forgotten classic !

8. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

The first one (Pather Panchali) is one of the most beautiful films ever made.

RK2249 likes this.
  9. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Held off on The Apu Trilogy but picked up:

Carlos
    Brazil
    The Qatsi Trilogy

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

As an FYI, the stores and web site often have different prices. The site does allow you to reserve in store, but they'll charge you the store price, which is frequently higher.

Not sure how this applies to the Criterion sale but it's something to watch out for.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Not relevant for the Criterion sale as titles are 50% off in store or online. Only thing you lose with ordering online for in store pickup is the 10% membership discount if you are eligible for that.

12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

They sell Blu-rays for $40, so they are reduced to $20? That is ridiculous in this day and age.

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Are you not familiar with criterion? They take titles that won't sell in quantities like Pirates of the Carribean. They present them with the best picture and sound possible and add great supplements, some they create themselves. And with quality artwork and booklet. Well worth the price for a film you enjoy and will watch again. If you're just getting it for something to watch once and put on the shelf, then yes they may seem overpriced. But otherwise those of us who collect criterion don't mind paying for quality, and usually wait for the half off sale

adm62 and longdist01 like this.
  14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

OK I get that, but maybe an initial $30 price point for Blu-rays might make more sense.

15. guidedbyvoices

In general they are. I just searched Amazon for 400 blows, 39 steps, high and low - all are $25 or less. Criterion.com sells them 'discounted' at $32. But the half off sales are half off the full price of $40.

16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Fair enough so this "half price" stuff is just marketing?

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It's like when Sears, Eatons and The Bay used to have 30-40% off.....their original price was so high that the discount only brought it down to where everyone else priced similar items.

adm62 likes this.
  18. guidedbyvoices

Bingo. criterion.com and b&n both have two 50pct sales every year, and because those four sales are for all in print criterions, it's the cheapest way to buy them. I rarely buy any criterion outside the sales unless it's something new I can't wait for.

adm62 likes this.
  19. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I don't buy Criterion titles anymore unless I can get them for at least 50% off. The only exception to this is if there's advance notice that a title is about to go out of print. I think at this point, the 50% off sales are pretty much baked into their business model.

And a $40 Blu-ray purchased for $20 looks like a real bargain to those of us who remember the days of Criterion 3-disc CAV laserdiscs that sold for $125, with some retailers offering a 20% discount.

jamesc, longdist01 and superstar19 like this.
  20. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Stopped at the Barnes and Noble and picked up the following Blu-Ray Criterions:

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
    Throne of Blood
    Seventh Seal
    It Happened One Night
    Foreign Correspondent
    His Girl Friday

I had to stop there. Throne of Blood is the only upgrade, I have the previous criterion DVD. Extra 10 percent off for members too.

longdist01 likes this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Anyone p/u recent The Lodger Blu-ray?

maybe get Lodger soon and Rebecca in September.

22. lightbulb

Barnes and Noble has extended this 50% off sale to August 14, 2017!

23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I heard rumblings the Fall Criterion Sale may be on Nov. 1st through 20th at Barnes & Noble, anyone have an update?

24. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Looks like that is the case - there's a thread about it on the Criterion subreddit, and an 8-page thread at the Blu-ray.com forums:

The Semi-Annual BARNES AND NOBLE Criterion Collection Sale - 50% OFF SRP - 11/1-11/30 - Blu-ray Forum

I'd like to see B&N space out the two annual sales a bit more, perhaps by pushing the summer sale back to the spring. They're too close together now in July and November, and Criterion just had a flash sale recently on top of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.