Velvet underground and nico 50th anniversary pink vinyl regret

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by embryos, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. embryos

embryos New Member Thread Starter

Hi!
    I just purchased this album for the great price of $175. (Ebay) I didnt consider any details regarding pressing, sources, all the important stuff. I saw the pink and blue and i was hypnotized.... now, 2 hours later, I have major regret! WTF is wrong with me? There was even another seller asking $175 or best offer, which I completely neglected to notice. Maybe I could have scored for $150, heh. Anyways, Im sorry yall for driving up the price. Ive never impulsively bought something like this before! Lil coincidence on top of it all, I spent a chunk of the money I was saving for my first ever visit to NYC in July... please everyone,, tell me how stupid I am!

Fullbug, Sean and mestreech like this.
  2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Ummm...
    Is it the same VU release as shown below...?

3. embryos

embryos New Member Thread Starter

Thats the one!

4. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I will please you : YOU ARE STUPID :laugh::laugh::laughup::laughup:

5. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

Yeah, you are dumb. I think you could get an original peeled copy for around that $. there are good reissues of this album already. this punk vinyl is probably mastered from cd.

6. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

also. it was $45 as a pre-order and not even put yet. once it is sure you can get it for like $50....

7. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

comes with a heavy card inner sleeve

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

How can they ask so much money for a just released reissue? Are people actually paying these sums?

Edit: Just did a research and there are "Buy Now Offers" starting at $80 in thE bay.

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

OK.... and now the educational part:

1. Before spending a whooping $175 on an album, take a deep breath. Look at "Sold Items" to determine the true going rate.

2. Ask yourself: "Do I actually need this?" "And for that kind of money??" (Clue: Nine times out of ten the answer to both of these questions is "No!")

3. Don't feel bad. Resell it while you still can recoup at least a part of the money.

4. And for Christ's sake: Never make such a daft mistake again!

10. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Good Lord. I hate to rag on the OP, given we've all made similar (if slightly less extravagant) mistakes, but this was on sale for £25.00 until the end of June, and I even then took a breath before ordering. My rationale is that I have a pink Loaded, and no stereo vinyl copy of the album itself, so this seemed like a decent purchase.

My copy has just arrived, and it's okay. Functional for what it is, I'm only playing it on my basic 'family' system (a restored Sharp Optonica into a Samsung home cinema system with attendant tiny speakers) and it's slightly clearer than what I've heard before. The pressing is flat and centred. I can't tell who mastered it - the booklet says Kevin Reeves - or where it's sourced, but it's never been the most well-recorded LP in the first place so I've no idea how it could be made better.

My guess is that it'll continue to gain some value, if not $175, so the OP can comfortably sell it without losing too much.

Annoyed to note that the double-tracked version with the digital skip is used for 'All Tomorrow's Parties'.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  11. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Just wait a few months, and sell it yourself. You might make money.

12. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

What's the timing of the skip? Never listened that closely...is it discussed anywhere?

13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I tried to order one from Universal but there was no link to order on their site. The next time I looked (3 hours later) it had sold out. It was about £30 I think.
    Looks good.
    The yellow vinyl edition actually smells of banana and is only about£20.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  14. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

You know, no matter how much we like to think otherwise, at the end of the day we're all dumb animals following impulses. Don't beat yourself up too badly. :righton:

brock likes this.
  15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Just try to laugh it off and move on.

brock, Jimmy B. and bobdylansbarber like this.
  16. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Forgive yourself... and move on bra.
    Many of us have done a similar thing.

brock and bobdylansbarber like this.
  17. what i do in similar circumstances is to hide the damn thing from sight for a year or two. By then you've gotten over the pain, we've voted to leave the UK, the Pound has devalued and it wasn't so bad after all...

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  18. PretzelLogic

I'm being presumptuous by calling it a digital skip as I've never heard a pre-80s copy of the album, but it's around the 2:00 mark when Nico sings "a-and what costume…". Listen closely and you'll hear it's not her stuttering, but it's like a CD skip. The whole quarter-second of the recording is duplicated, so my feeling is there was an error somewhere transferring the album to digital. However it's gone unremarked for so long that I'm doubting if it was an error at all.

Furthermore, it's not on the single-track voice version and I was used to for years (from the first CD/cassette issue) before hearing the two-voice version on Peel Slowly And See; I heard the skip and thought my CD was faulty, but it's turned up on just about every version I've heard since then.

Just regarding the single voice version, from Wikipedia:

"the album contained an alternate mix of "All Tomorrow's Parties" which featured a single track of lead vocals as opposed to the double-tracked vocal version on the original LP. Apparently, the decision to use the double-tracked version on the original LP was made at the last minute. Bill Levenson, who was overseeing the initial CD issues of the VU's Verve/MGM catalog, wanted to keep the single-voice version a secret as a surprise to fans, but was dismayed to find out that the alternate version was revealed as such on the CD's back cover (and noted as "previously unreleased")"

So, if anyone has a pre-80s copy of the album, can you confirm if that skip is there? It's impossible to find anything about it online as it's hard to describe via Google!

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That skip is there on my 1971 UK MGM pressing. I've always thought it's deliberate and supposed to be there.

funknik likes this.
  20. PretzelLogic

This has blown my mind. It means that the version of the album I first discovered and fell in love with...is not the right version?

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You mean not the right version of "All Tomorrow's Parties"????

The entire album is not in question.

22. PretzelLogic

Of course, but that song is one of the fundamental pillars that makes the album what it is, so it's still a shock.

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't heard a US original so I don't know, but the double tracked vocal and 'skip' predate digital. I always thought they were done for effect. I could be wrong but I like the sound.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You've gotten over it for a few years or a decade now. But therapy could be expensive, and the time it takes to work it's magic. You'll be ok.

25. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

We have all done things we regret, put it down to experience and move on.:)

Jimmy B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.