FYE making a comeback?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by KeithH, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

They are closing the FYE store in Mesa in the near future (possibly by February) due to a dispute over their lease, so only the awful store in the Arizona Mills Mall will be left. Over a period of five years, they have gone from eight stores in the Phoenix metro area down to one. There are no signs of a comeback here; in fact, there is hardly a pulse left.

2. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

What are they charging out there for a heavily scratched disc $18 like the east coast?:realmad:
    Burn FYE BURN!!!Away with you!:righton:

LordThanos1969 and rjp like this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

same here in ohio, condition is irrelevant, pricing is strictly based on the title alone, and they do want collectible prices, so does the local "buybacks: chain, ridiculous pricing for some of their used CD's.

LordThanos1969 and steveharris like this.
  4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That's exactly what I was thinking. Sounds just like another Newbury Comics.

5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Stocking all that stuff didn't save Hasting's.

Joseph.McClure likes this.
  6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Used to love shopping at FYE for new & used CDs back between 2012 and 2015... unfortunately now, the CD section is relegated to a comparatively tiny two-sided wall of about five racks to handle all genres and new releases (previously, there were three double-sided racks, which were each about twice as long as the current one), a very small LP section where everything is overpriced (white album for $75, Zeppelin 2LP reissue for $50) and the rest is all either DVDs or novelty toys/shirts/coffee mugs with hashtags and curse words on them. They're targeting a very specific group of people. Seems to be doing well for them, but man, I really miss their CD selection and friendly staff. Oh, guy who got me into later-period Dylan, where have you gone??? :(

The prices aren't nearly as bad as Barnes & Noble... but at least there they've stuck to their guns and continue to sell what they always have instead of making way for the new big trend. Maybe I'm a little sore, oh well. I have so many fond memories of going into that place and spending hours sifting through the selection. I remember not long ago someone sold off a huge stack of Elvis FTD CDs; there were probably about forty of them (I would have grabbed 'em but they were all $30-$40 a pop! From what I have found online though those aren't too expensive for the FTD discs) - that was fun looking at those. In the past five times I've been there, I've only made one purchase, a stack of five used Van Morrison CDs that they had priced cheaper than online. Most times I leave empty-handed and sad. It's a shame..

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Maybe if Hastings hadn't sold CDs and vinyl at blowout prices online that were cheaper than they could ship them, they might still be around...

LordThanos1969 and melstapler like this.
  8. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Lehigh Valley Mall had one of those "return to the scene of the crimes" FYE stores open a few years back(3?)just in time for Black Friday. Pretty much a stupid time to open as a September opening gives time to get staff in a routine and ready for 4th quarter selling. I was there at the moment they had their first shoplifter in the new digs. Witnessing a kid's life go upside down sideways in an instant. Sad. Vinyl-a couple of dozen titles pushed to the back next to clearance DVDs including A Love Supreme and Kind of Blue,with outrageous prices and evidence they been elsewhere in a previous life,though they were indeed sealed and new.
    This year saw a reset already with old racks replaced by 54" high wire fittings filled from top to bottom with mdse.-very hard to navigate those last two rungs of CDs or DVDs.
    Vinyl now expanded to maybe four racks,still shoved in the back but Crosleys in the front on on the right wall. The first 1/3 of the store is filled with foo-foo-dust collector collectables,t-shirts even more desperate than those in Spencer's,just waiting for Sheldon from Big Bang Theory(his own tee even stiffed a while ago)mugs-keerap. During the season I brought in a 50+ box of CDs & DVDs for trade-some even sealed and they offered $13 bucks for about ten items and refused the rest. Last week,what was left went to another FYE-the discards brought $40 credit. Go figure. While they may not be as bad off as Sears,Penneys or A&F,this is a chain stuck in the '90s and making you pay for their high,high rent and snow removal in January. Malls are loathe to lose an FYE or Barnes & Noble as they sell something other than women's clothing so a guy might bring his girl to shop.These downsized FYE's get a deal cut out for them which beats another empty storefront in a dying retail space known as The Mall.

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I have one in my local mall now. Of course I have to walk in, just to peek at the vinyl. Then I look at their prices, shake my head and walk out.

I know it's the instant gratification factor, but even B&N had better prices than they do.

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I made one visit to the new Crossgates store and that was enough for me. The media is crammed in such a way it's not even browse-able. And the "music" they pump through the store makes me want to end my own life right then and there.

I guess the Colonie Center store is the only one left that I'd bother with. Well, there's Queensbury too, but how often am I trekking up way there?

I finally figured out I could buy used stuff from FYE.com and take advantage of the same sales as the stores and not have to degrade myself going there in person so I've been doing that. Got about 15 blu-rays for $40 during their recent 'buy 2 get 1 for $1" sale. Much more convenient than rummaging through the bins.

I guess I'm done with shopping in physical stores. There's really no point anymore as they won't have what I want anyway. I think I've finally learned to accept this fact.

melstapler likes this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

While it saddened me to see Hastings go, I found their CDs to be reasonably priced and yet many of their collectible items (statues, action figures, models) to be priced about 10-15% over other bigger retailers and smaller comic shops.

There are a couple FYE stores I try to visit often and their sales and special promotions/discounts are incredible. Even the normal retail prices on many of their collectibles are reasonable and in line with those of many comic shops. While I find the CD and LP selections at FYE to be typically underwhelming, I realize why they decreased the size of their music and DVD sections. I've noticed the collectibles and memorabilia are very popular with both kids and adults alike. FYE seem to be a making a comeback and I believe they have potential to fill that void in the world of collectibles.

12. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

I love using FYE as a dumping ground for all my old remastered garbage. At least I recovered a few bucks for it. :)

dee and melstapler like this.
  13. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

The Broad Street location closed August 2016. They're converting it to an A.C. Moore craft store. Oh goody, a store full of junk craft parts mostly from China.

melstapler likes this.
  14. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Huh.... FYE's are all over the place here in Pittsburgh (and surrounding areas), even in malls that are on the brink of death. Our most desperate mall just lost their FYE finally - but only because the mall wouldn't renew their lease.

Same with Ohio - you can't go to a mall without seeing an FYE.

melstapler likes this.
  15. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

(I love FYE, by the way. I haven't seen them overprice anything around here for years now - hell, I bought Prince's "Emancipation" for all of six bucks!)

melstapler likes this.
  16. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Nothing near me. Luckily.

17. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Two recent visits to Lehigh Valley Mall-one around first of the month,the other this past Thurs. It seems to me that in those few weeks,they may have cut down thier vinyl racks by 1/2. Visit beginning of July had a decent amount of 50% clearance(still way out of my price points)but this last visit showed only a few pieces and...the double sided rack that was away from the wall was gone and filled with a quick table of crummy used DVDs. Those used DVDs-buy two,get one for a buck-this "sale" going on for months and did not see any change during holiday times or times when sidewalk sales used to take up space in the dog days. Add to this,as much as nearby Barnes & Noble claims they have increased vinyl stock,they seem to have the same number of bins,but those bins are really light with product. Summertime blues? Laying low during Amazon's Prime Time. Possibly. Calenders have yet to show up and July 1 was traditional time for stocking,especially 16 month calenders for back to school sales. Both chains trying to do it with mirrors-displays taking up square footage in place of product-filled racks. Clouds in the forecast for fourth quarter.

Dave and melstapler like this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the FYE in downtown cleveland also cut their vinyl inventory by at least half, the clerk told me that no one was buying it.

FYE is quickly becoming the outlet store for used DVD's and blu-rays.........oh, and don't forget ugly t-shirts.

Dave likes this.
  19. J.K. Baxter

J.K. Baxter Forum Resident

FYE is generally keeping their doors open now being a pop culture store that specializes in toys and merch. Music took a back seat a long, long time ago, but they still seem to dedicate loads of space to incredibly overpriced Blu Rays and DVD's. If it weren't for anime T-shirts and Pop Vinyls, I don't think they'd be doing so well in the current climate. The couple that I stop in to in Delaware have particularly sad music sections, and their vinyl selection is downright appalling. Best Buy had a better record selection back in 2009.

PhantomStranger and melstapler like this.
  20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

FYE though failing, seems to be trying harder and harder to become Newbury Comics.

melstapler and showtaper like this.
  21. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

The FYE in Woodfield Mall (Schaumburg IL) has transformed into a junk shop that has a little music
    and a lot of movies ad TV shows on DVD. The Stratford Mall store is in a little better shape.......

22. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

Did the Woodfield store move it's location? I went a couple of weeks ago and the old location was closed

23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

At both of my favorite FYE locations, the CD and Vinyl selections are very underwhelming. Except for rock and soundtracks, the other genre sections for CDs are small and inadequate. When it comes to their music product, I would like to see greater genre diversity. However, as many have noted, FYE seems to have become more of a gift shop which sells comic book and science fiction/fantasy related items. Always loved comic shops and although music is my main passion, I do enjoy looking through and buying their adult-oriented action figures and gift items.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

BTW

FYE's prices are ridiculously high.

25. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

For the most part, but sometimes they have catalog CDs cheaper than Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.