UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. I'm down south and Oxfam are the most expensive by far - very often £3 for cds that you can pick up for 50p nearby. Had a nice find a few minutes ago during my lunch hour - Wings Over America for 0.99p - in the first issue box.

Giant Hogweed likes this.
  2. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

I just checked on discogs. Out of the 17 copies on offer, 15 sellers wanted more than that!

3. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

This was a charity shop, not even a dedicated vinyl charity shop. I don't know about you but when I donate to them (which we do lots, with books particularly), I don't really want to see the stuff go out on sale for more than I can often buy it new for. It's not my version of altruism.

Andrew J, Dubmart and Man at C&A like this.
  4. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Couldn't agree more, Gary!

The more iniquitous thing about Oxfam is that they started the trend for ludicrous prices (£14 for a second hand CD indeed!). Where Oxfam lead, nearly all the other charity shops follow

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I would like to know what title it was because my local Oxfam sells their CDs for 99p/£1.99 doubles. It would have to be something special to match that £14 price tag.

6. Their books are often over-priced to.

7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Once the charity shops get the knowledge, the prices inevitably rocket and all is lost.
    There is a charity shop in Dublin who started doing this last year.
    They tend to get in great 80's CDs, but they seem to know how much they go for on eBay and charge a bit less than the eBay price.
    I bought two CDs from them. One was Pink Floyd The Wall MFSL without the slip case (€40) and the other was a Visage Red faced Polydor. (€25).

8. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Thanks! Yes, I see quite a few S Club 7 CDs. Also Dido and Oasis. And Shania Twain.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Very slim pickings in the chazzas of late, but I did find a nice copy of Ram on Saturday for a pound, tucked away in a box of the usual K-Tel and Readers Digest comps.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  10. Shadderz

Shadderz Forum Resident

Was thinking about slowing down my charity shop hunting...then found a copy of Lennons 'Plastic Ono Band' and Dexys 'Don't stand me Down' in a 50p box at the weekend.

It's probably not worth the time and effort hunting nowadays but I still get a kick when I find something!

11. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Vinyl or CD? Either way, impressive finds.

12. Shadderz

Shadderz Forum Resident

Both on vinyl. I haven't really bought many cds for 10 - 15 years however they are quite hard to resist at current prices! A charity shop local to me sells them for 50p each or four for £1. I've even found myself buying albums i already have on vinyl...not good when space is an issue!

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Charity shop vinyl I find under the category CTF ( chewed to) poor old Jim Reeves was a party favorite it seems.

14. James Last is big in the South East shops at the moment. Some classical but no jazz or country.

15. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I can't remember for the life of me what it was, which shows how memorable it must have been. It wasn't rock, got a feeling it was something singer-songwritery or easy listening. In comparison I bought a Larry Carlton album in there for £1.99 a few months previously.

16. Dave Gilmour's Cat

17. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Latest Charity shop haul - Oxfam, Esher on Thursday: CDs £1.99 each which is a little pricey for me usually, but these mint CDs were worth shelling out for:

Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing - original USA disc, no barcode
    The Marshall Tucker Band - Greatest Hits - USA disc (AJK)
    Billy Joel - Piano Man - original UK CBS (disc made in Japan), no barcode
    Paul Simon - Graceland - original, german manufactured disc (mirror centre - never seen before)
    Buddy Holly - From The Original Master Tapes (mastered by our esteemed host!) - German disc (MCAD-5540), no barcode
    Goodfellas - OST original german disc
    Eagles - On The Border - original german disc, no barcode

£14 well spent!

18. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Picked up the original (and as far as I can tell from the search here, best) CD mastering of Wednesday Morning, 3AM by Simon and Garfunkel for £1 the other day.

Also found a lovely condition copy of Obelix & Co, a book I never owned as a child, but that's for a different forum.

JP Christian likes this.
  19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I thought that original Wednesday Morning, 3AM had a mastering defect. There is a thread about it: Paul's voice is dominant in one channel, but Paul and Art's voices are evenly balance in the other channel.

20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

When you say UK charity shops, you maybe need to keep it nearer to your own postcode!

If you know what you're looking for, you'll come across some good stuff in time. Edinburgh does very well and is well catered for with a number of good charity as well as secondhand record shops.

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think this part is the bit the OP forgot. You have to go regularly. The good stuff sells quickly, and the junk just sits on the shelf forever.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I'm guessing the regular CSR version rather than the rarer JVC disc?
    I have the WG Polygram disc, but I know there is an early Alsdorf disc with a silver to center hub.
    WG target?

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Kinda sad you have to go to charity shops to look for vinyl when there used to be a abundance of record shops everywhere.

24. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

The bad news is that you're right about the original release - I hadn't seen that mentioned in the general purpose S&G on CD thread.

The good news is that I'm wrong - this isn't the original 1987 UK & Europe release, but a 1991 UK only release which doesn't have the vocal balance issue. I'd assumed it was first CD pressing due to the incredibly spartan packaging - there are no liner notes, the front inlay just has the cover on on side and the track listing on the other, with the inside blank. No mastering credits.

Sounds good from the first few listens anyway, although I'm yet to try it on headphones.

25. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

I would avoid `Oxfam`, would not even bother looking, used Michael Caine biography £8.99...give me a break!
    `Cancer Research` recently had box of vinyl, usual suspects `Johnny Mathis, Top of the Pops, James Last, Max Bygraves etc, ALL priced at £20 each!!! I mean £20 for a bog standard Shirley Bassey album! I spoke to manager "Are these mis-priced, should this be 20p each? "Oh, no," he said, "We looked them up on Ebay".
    As I will buy classical albums I am having a wonderful time, some real rarities in mint condition for pennies, recently bought 20+ almost unplayed `DG` albums for £2...that`s 10p each!
    Have also picked up some wonderful cds for next to nothing...

AlmostHeavenWV and AJK74 like this.