TV Calibration

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt Pepper, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wondering if anyone else here has had a professional calibration performed on their TV or Projector or maybe like me invested in a colorimeter and software?

Rhapsody In Red and CrazyCatz like this.
  2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I use CalMAN Home Enthusiast calibration software, and an i1 Display Pro colorimeter. I also have a Murideo Prisma LUT processor: Prisma Image Enhancer and LUT Processor

Big learning curve using each of these, but the resulting image is outstanding.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I just bought a 65" LG OLED set, and I'm gonna get it ISF calibrated in a few weeks. I'll pay a professional to do it all and not attempt it myself...

dobyblue and kronning like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Calman and Light Illusion are both highly regarded. I'm with Colin above: I think you're better off hiring a guy. If they do it right, they need a $10,000 Klein K-10A Colorimeter, plus a test signal generator, and every set has certain "gotchas" in terms of little tweaks you have to do. For example, with the LG OLEDs, it turns out you have to get the "service remote" in order to get deep into the menus that turn certain bad things off, particularly power-saving modes.

The ISF is very good, THX used to have authorized service dealers (I dunno if they still do, but they did), and there are also independent people who have a good handle on SMPTE, ISF, and THX specs and setup. There's more to it than meets the eye: the guy I use in LA does a lot of stuff that's not in the manual, and he really, really knows his stuff.

Here's some links:

Calman Display Color Calibration
    Light Illusion
    Imaging Science Foundation, Inc.

And for those who doubt the need to calibrate your set, Steve Shaw has some good advice here:

Why Calibrate?

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I had my TV professionally calibrated. I plugged everything in, cable box, etc and it looked horrid. So I called someone. They spent a few hours and all had this equipment, etc.

Luckily, my Samsung, although only a 42" model, still had the accessibility to certain settings so he could fine tune the TV. I think bigger models had even more settings available. It wasn't cheap but it was worth it. The picture was so much better. It really was off putting before hand.

I definitely commend it.

Vidiot and John Buchanan like this.
  6. I think investing in the tools and software is the way to go. Seeing how any resets or firmware updates will require a new calibration. Also, there is the satisfaction knowing you did something on your own.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Billy Infinity likes this.
  7. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Did it myself then had someone come over (store rep) and went back to my original settings...btw> my settings looked better to me and the wife>

sean

8. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I use Color Monkey

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And I just had my guy come by tonight and set up the brand-new 4K LG 55OLEDC7, and it's looking great (a 2-hour calibration with Calman). I won't mention the name of the company, but let's just say one of the major studio post houses bought 22 of these displays and is using them for quite a few projects. I'm very happy with the way it looks (so far).

I got a great deal: Best Buy locally wanted $2700 for it, and I found a mail-order dealer that had it for under $2K delivered. Even with calibration, I saved a ton o' dough. Great set. Even if I have to toss it in 2-3 years, I'm good with this kind of expense. A 55" set would have cost triple this kind of money in the 1990s and wouldn't have been 1/10th as good.

bradman likes this.
  10. Congrats on the new Set! Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. The first time I saw the LG 7 series OLED I was very impressed, and began thinking that maybe I was seeing the eventual replacement for my Panny ZT. Someday.

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Yes. Contact HERE.

Chad is among the best. He calibrated my VT60 plasma and my JVC RS600 projector.

12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Good thread. I've been considering calibration.

13. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I agree 100%. Chad did the calibration on my VT60 plasma. Amazing job. Highly recommened.

14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

If you have any home theater aspirations, then seriously contemplate front projection. There's no turning back. My 60" Panny VT60 is relegated to cable news and sports duty.

John Moschella likes this.
  15. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I would be interested to know what projector your using. I'm thinking of going this route, so any advice would be appreciated.

16. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Same deal with me. Serious watching is done via the projector and ten foot screen.

jh901 likes this.
  17. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

I think the answer is probably a dollar number. Calibrate if your TV cost much over $$$$, perhaps not if $$$. I have had a calibration done, bought another that had been calibrated, and set up one myself working from a disc and recommended settings. My sense is that I can get 90% of the way there on my own, a more sophisticated viewer like Vidiot would reasonably have another opinion.

Stock settings are pretty bad. I just try to make movies look like movies, and would call that good on an inexpensive TV.

18. I have 2 front projectors, neither of which is in use. One of them is a 1080P DLP (admittedly a bit out of date), but I like my plasma better. Sheer size is great, don't get me wrong. The next step up, however, is true 4k, probably Ultra HD Premium Certified.

A Front Projector that is truly 4k (not magically upscaled) is currently waaaaaaay out of my price range (to my knowledge).

If the price comes down to Earth when it is time for my next upgrade, I will definitely look at FP.

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

My recommendation, for those who care about image quality, is to include the $450 price of calibration in a primary display (tons of blu-ray content) budget.

I'd expect reference quality OLED panels to have a picture setting which is quite good out of the box.

20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

See gear profile.

I'd advise that there is a tiny percent of consumer front projection set-ups (demo or private residence), out of an already very small number, which are representative of what these displays are capable of today. The projector, screen, and room all come into play. The image I'm getting is jaw dropping, but that was my goal and it wasn't an accident.

21. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Funny that this thread was started, I often considered doing this as well, but haven't because I wasn't aware there was another way to do it besides using a waveform vectorscope and color bars.

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Chad has clients in Florida, so if you get a new OLED display, then get in touch with him. If you are curious, then you'll get a chance to talk it over and learn in addition to getting a picture quality upgrade. I'd say a typical ISF pro will have close to ten grand in gear- couple colorimeters, pattern generator, lap top, software.

23. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident Thread Starter

Chad B knows me through forums......nice guy.
    I think in the US DNice (Dewayne Davis) and Kevin Miller are top calibrators amongst many, not sure if David Mackenzie has much time for calibration but might be worth a shot for you guys.

24. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I have a TCL 4K TV being delivered tomorrow. A relatively inexpensive set, but with all the latest bells and whistles. Is it worth spending as much as I spent on the set to have it professionally calibrated?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I had mine professionally done and they did a great job with it. They have a special machine hooked up to tv and a laptop and they run all these simulations thru it. Super fine tune it.

Wasn't cheap but it was worth it to me. They gave me 2 settings a daytime and nighttime. Mostly use the nighttime.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.