Grant Hart (Husker Du, Nova Mob, solo): RIP*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Judge Judy, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I understand that Grant Hart's recent live appearances are supposed to be his last, which doesn't bode well. I had a friend go to see him recently and my friend was really alarmed at how gaunt Hart is and the fact that he needed a "handler" to walk him to the stage. Recent photos that I've seen kind of shocked me too. He just doesn't look well and as a long-time fan I'm kind of worried about him.

Does anyone know if he's okay?

punkmusick likes this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Copied this from his Facebook page, regarding a July 2, 2017 gig. Hoping this isn't as bad as it sounds. The photos are a bit unnerving:
    http://disq.us/t/2qjgvkx

MikaelaArsenault and ruben lopez like this.
  3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

He's looked quite unwell for a few years now...I feel bad saying it, but I sometimes wonder if he has cancer or AIDS or something of that sort. THAT'S how bad he's looked lately. I hope he's alright as he's a unique musical talent and has always seemed like a good guy.

4. Judge Judy

I was wondering the same thing, although there are a bunch of other illnesses that might fit the profile too.

I hope he's okay too. I saw some photos and he looks really unwell, and I want him to be okay.

ralphb and DrBeatle like this.
  5. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I saw live in May. He definitely seemed ill and much older than a man in his late fifties.

6. Judge Judy

Did he seem lucid?

7. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

He seemed with it, but lethargic. Moved very slow like every movement was painful. I didn't realize it was him until he stepped up to the mike.

8. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Where has it been said that these recent shows were his last?

I mean, I'm trying to hold out hope here.

9. Judge Judy

ruben lopez likes this.
  10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Reading between the lines, it's hard not to conclude that the writer is hinting Hart has a terminal illness and is not long for this world, without explicitly saying so. The description of the sense of imminence about throwing the show together quickly, as well as comments like "emotions ran close to the surface and many tears were shed" are difficult to interpret any other way, unfortunately.

11. overdrivethree

DrBeatle likes this.
  12. ralphb

Unfortunately that was my take, also. This is one of those times I so want to be wrong.

krock2009, Guy E, broccolid and 2 others like this.
  13. overdrivethree

Reading that piece again, if a writer says things like that and there isn't something going on, then that writer is a manipulative hack.

That said, I hope that writer is just a hack

14. ralphb

Same here.

jmczaja and quakerparrot67 like this.
  15. overdrivethree

I follow the official Hüskers Instagram. Going back and checking, the last couple weeks have had a lot of Grant-centric posts, particularly a couple of him with D. Boon. It's really making me wonder.

DrBeatle likes this.
  16. Judge Judy

No matter what the writing is like in that piece, it's difficult for me to look at this picture from the article and come away thinking there's no problem.

[​IMG]

17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Always loved his writing and think it's sad that he was the one to not come out as well from the whole HD wreckage.

DrBeatle likes this.
  18. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

I started typing out how the article just says it was an emotional night as it was a tribute show to him, but I gotta be honest he doesn't look well. So sad. I remember a couple of years ago I finally went back and listened to all the Husker Du albums after only listening to a couple when I was young, and finally realising that there was this other singer and that literally every song that I liked was a Grant Hart song. I had all those tracks on my phone for a couple of years and then one day I looked on facebook and there was an advertisement for a gig he was playing, I couldn't believe it I was over the moon, then I realised that facebook wasn't posting every post from that page to my stream, and that the gig had been a couple of months prior.

19. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Seeing these photos shared as of recent makes me very sad and alarmed for Grant's well being. About a year or two ago, I rediscovered Hüsker Dü's discography and also started collecting Grant's solo albums and although I haven't been listening much lately to any Grant related recordings, this latest news just makes me sad. Obviously nothing has been announced formally and I HOPE that whatever his ailment or illness is, it's something that can be overcome. He is such a talent and I truly love his art in every aspect of the word, be it collage, songwriting or performing. I really do hope whatever it is, he pulls through.

jmczaja likes this.
  20. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I had seen some photos of him a year or two ago and thought he looked ill, but the most recent photos are even worse. It's hard not to think he's unwell and terminally ill. I hope not, and I hate to speculate on other people's health, but still I've got to believe what my eyes are telling me...

jmczaja likes this.
  21. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

As someone who lost and watched my brother in law lose his battle with cancer in the past year, that looks like a man that is very unwell and doesn't have much time. I hate to speculate but..... Really sad.

22. Judge Judy

Yes, I really, really hope that I'm just being an alarmist, I'm totally wrong, and he'll be okay. There are a lot of non-fatal illnesses and things that can happen that can cause rapid weight loss, including simple depression. So I honestly, truly hope that I'm just overreacting and he'll be fine.

I was a teenager when Husker Du was together, and I saw them many times. Each time, the show was fantastic, and still holds up today. I still listen to them regularly. They were and still are a huge, cherished part of my life, and want all of the members to be in good health and stick around for a good long time. So here's hoping that I'm just overreacting.

23. ralphb

I also hope we're overreacting, but that amount of muscle mass loss and wasting isn't the result of simple depression, something serious is going on with him. Husker Du is in my top five bands of all time and Grant is one of the best songwriters to come out of the 1980's. Hopefully he'll be around for a long time to come.

jmczaja and DrBeatle like this.
  24. Judge Judy

Oh, I know. I'm just leaning heavily on "I'm not a doctor, I don't know" today, because these photos are really alarming and I'm trying desperately to compartmentalize it.

sacsongs and ralphb like this.
  25. ralphb

From 1990 with Nova Mob, one of his best songs. Hang in there Grant .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.