Experience Hendrix extend Sony Deal ...................

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gordon Johnson, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

SinnerSaint likes this.
  2. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

SinnerSaint and Opeth like this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I hope it is complete shows, not a one show, or a compilation of performances. My concern is that Mitchell allegedly only overdubbed some of his drum work, and I suspect those are the performances EH will be focusing on using. I hope I am wrong and that both shows are released.

footlooseman, DrBeatle and Imagine70 like this.
  5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It's seems very likely to me that Mitch only overdubbed some of his drums from listening to the the tapes. Using the Bob Terry tape source as my guide, the overdubbed drums sound a lot clearer (less muddy) and louder in the mix. I think Ezy Ryder from the second set is a perfect example. The first 22 seconds sound like the original drums and then all of a sudden they are a LOT more clear and defined in the mix. Hey Baby/In From The Storm (set 1) sounds overdubbed as well as does Purple Haze from the first set (again, all just my opinions).

6. +
    Does any one know the master tapes for these "Sessions" story?
    Re-used studio tape??
    Stored at the studio???
    4-track????

Thanks.

7. Posted previously bout the 'Save Some Stuff' mentally of labels since the Seventies.

You gave me an idea tho, mentioning all the Berkeley bonuses, what a heck of a box set that would make!!!

"Jimi Plays Berkeley" [Dream Deal]:
    LP's ~ Pure Audio or SA-CD ~ Blu-ray
    1st Disc. Vinyl 'soundtrack' Bernie 200 gram.
    2nd Disc. Vinyl EH 'Live' Bernie 200 gram.
    3rd Disc. HiRez 'complete' recordings.
    4th Disc. Blu-ray movie
    w/lossless stereo track + the two HiRez Eddie Kramer created 5.1 tracks. Video re-mastering; the Sony release looked to be heavily DNR'd, w/smearing & less detail than the ancient DVD IMNotSoHumbleO.
    &
    A "Band of Gypsies" box!!!

Imagine70 likes this.
  8. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

I wonder if they don't have the first Berkeley show multitracks or they are damaged or something? You figure it would be an easy release and they would have at least prepared both shows at the same time, even if they didn't release them together.

DrBeatle and DTK like this.
  9. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Agree.

10. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Even if they don't, the boot I have of the 1st show sounds damn good...certainly better than some of the other Dagger releases and worthy of release.

11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

According to "Ultimate Hendrix" the tracks (which were recorded at Baggy's Studio - basically a warehouse for rehearsals) were taped on a 2 track reel to reel machine at 7 1/2 i.p.s. There was no studio engineer present, Jimi just had to let the tape roll.

DTK and SinnerSaint like this.
  12. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Roberto899 likes this.
  13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Ultimate Hendrix (from McDermott with Kramer and Cox) makes no mention of damaged or missing tapes from the Berkeley 1st show, so I'd say it's likely they have everyting. It's worth noting that back when McDermott and Kramer wrote "Setting The Record Straight" (in the mid 90s) Kramer stated he felt there were only enough good tracks to cobble together a single Berkeley LP from both shows. Based on that, I was quite surprised they eventually released (only) the 2nd show complete.

DTK, Purple Jim and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The live "Hey Baby" on the Purple Box gives us an idea of how the tapes sound. I'm certain EH could "beat the boots" in the quality department. The problem is the soundboard sounds incomplete (unless they find other sources to patch in). The fact that "Hey Baby" starts "mid stream" on the Purple Box and that this section is also missing on bootlegs using the soundboard tapes is fairly telling. The best complete copy of these shows has a few audience sources patched in, most notably on "Hey Baby" and "Beginnings".

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

You and each other fan would pay $4,000-5,000 for the upwards of 800-100 hours of Jimi that exist?

16. David67

David67 Forum Resident

ifFOLK CAN AFFORD IT THEN WHY NOT? I'd happily go that route if digital booklets were included with the downloads.

17. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

If I could afford it yes.
    Imagine going through the Ultimate Hendrix book and thinking that session sounds interesting.

Think I'll listen to the whole thing start to finish tonight. :drool:

David67 likes this.
  18. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Perhaps they can "beat the boots" as you say. Thing is those boots have been around for decades now and EH is finally getting around to releasing this in a hopefully complete form? Oh well, better late than never as they say.

19. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I don't believe I said that

20. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Do you sense that from something in the press release, or just by the use of this photo?

21. SoundAdvice

Kramer hinted at working on Maui before Atlanta was released. Picture of him mixing a live Hendrix project that had original drums and overdubbed drums.

DTK likes this.
  22. SoundAdvice

How would you monetize a Hendrix streaming system that would compete with 8 figure multi million dollar check that Sony gives Janie every 10 years?

Pearl Jam is more about viral marketing of upcoming shows rather than directly profiting.

DTK likes this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is why she is likely not going to purge the vaults, with a major streaming project, or even an expansive session release (unless Sony negotiated to have super deluxe editions of the original three albums part of this latest licensing deal).

DTK likes this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Maybe he can do a better job now than he did in the 70s. The stuff with overdubbed drums we already have on bootlegs must be Kramer mixes.

25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Not to mention the sheer volume of well recorded shows these guys have to sell/stream compared to Hendrix.

DTK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.