Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Barefoot in the Head

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LUNACHUCK, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

That "Try Rock And Roll" EP is awesome! That is perhaps one of my favorite EP's ever by any band.
    I love CRB. I have all their vinyl and CD releases as well as the 5 Betty's Blends that we're issued digitally when the vol one vinyl came out. All I'm really missing is some promo stuff.

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm not too crazy about this band's policy towards CD buyers. Betty's Blends Volume 1 is available only on LP, the vinyl version of Volume 3 includes 2 exclusive bonus CD's, and the Try Rock N' Roll EP is also vinyl-only. They're so vinyl-fixated that the CD version of the third volume of the Betty series has the vinyl track list on the back cover!
    (Sorry for writing the word "vinyl" so many times).
    Complaints aside, they are one of the very very very very very few new bands (almost the only one) that I listen to, and they're truly great. I enjoy (a whole lot) every album they've done up to now.

3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Whats the Try Rock n Roll E.P.? Have a missed that one, need to read back this thread, didnt see mention.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  4. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

It was an RSD release a couple years ago. Four tracks on 12" vinyl. I think 1400 copies maybe? I found one and bought it but that was luck because at the time I didn't see it on any of the lists.

LUNACHUCK and Almost Simon like this.
  5. Wiserforthetime

I also got lucky with that EP as I didn't buy it on rsd but was visiting a friends and happened to mention it to him and he said I should phone the record store by his house and I did and they had one left so I got it on the way home

6. Almost Simon

I missed that one. So there's plenty of rarities for this band.

Desolation Row and LUNACHUCK like this.
  7. Wiserforthetime

I am really surprised with how much they have put out in so little time

8. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some pics for those who didn't catch this a few years back. I agree, it's a wonderful EP. The live version of Shake Rattle & Roll here is one of my favorite things they've ever released on vinyl. Don't forget about the first EP, and first CRB "thing" to ever exist, Spiritual Pajamas (Chris Robinson Brotherhood- Spiritual Pajamas 001). Some early live CRB from the Bay Area proving grounds.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Big Moon Ritual is my favorite CRB album. But BITH is not far behind after only a few listens.

Very pleasantly surprised by this album!

Bonddm, LUNACHUCK and Desolation Row like this.
  10. Graham

Graham Senior Member

US only. Ridiculously expensive to import so didn't bother in the end, although I tried hard to find an alternative that wasn't offensively priced.

Almost Simon and LUNACHUCK like this.
  11. Arkay_East

Ugh. Bummer. I am having this issue with the new Collocutor record. No US distribution.

12. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Yeah, lovin' the more acoustic approach/sound on this recording.
    Bits of it are reminiscent of Gene Clark solo stuff, "If You Had A Heart To Break" in particular, IMO.
    Definitely my favourite since at least Phospherescent Harvest.

13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

First listen today. Enjoyed it very much!

14. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

15. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

16. Arkay_East

Fascinating interview. I enjoy listening to Chris talk about music.

Vinyl_Blues, Bonddm and budwhite like this.
  17. Further

Further Forum Resident

The funniest thing about that is that ALL of their music and albums are recorded digitally. Nothing analog about any of it, which is really a shame. Not sure if Neal was supposed to spill the beans on that one but I suppose it's pretty obvious anyway, since everything they do sounds digital anyway. Just a bit strange that a band so into vinyl to the point of releasing some things ONLY on vinyl would be so firmly planted in the digital recording camp.

I'm not opposed to a great sounding digital recording but most of what they do sounds cold as a result. Probably has more to do with the mastering than anything. I think the band could really benefit from a nice fat, warm, reach out and hug you type sound but I guess that's not their thing.

18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

19. Further

Further Forum Resident

It's very easy to switch your table to 45rpm if you want to. The turntable came with a little plastic tool specifically for that purpose, even though it's very easy to do without it. Simply lift the platter off and then move the belt to the other notch on the pulley. Replace the platter and you're ready to go!

20. Almost Simon

I've had the t/t years, a hand me down from a friend. And yes, i realise now its simple to do. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Was always terrified of doing it manually unless I damaged the t/t setup. I dont have the tool but will be fine im sure.

Desolation Row likes this.
  21. Further

Further Forum Resident

Your choice. It's super simple once you do it. Even a pencil will do it. The important thing is not to grab the belt with your fingers as the oil on your skin may transfer to the belt and cause it to slip. That's the only point to using the tool. Just thought I'd throw it out there as I have one of these tables as well and there's no point having albums sitting there that you can't listen to! 45rpm sounds incredible. Enjoy the music!

Desolation Row and Almost Simon like this.
  22. Almost Simon

Cheers, thank you for the advice. It is very helpful. Will give it a go tomorrow :)

23. Wiserforthetime

I feel like I have the same argument as you but only in the reverse. The record store day release of "Blue Suede Shoes" had a CD release with an extra track which may be my favorite on there and it was not on vinyl.
    The "any way you love..." Album had a nice booklet with extra art in the CD that the vinyl did not have.
    The third Betty's Blends did have the exclusive CD's in it but they were infact CD. I would have preferred that music on vinyl.
    Finally the Betty's Blends Vol 1 on vinyl is just an edited best of from a five night stand. The band sold all five live shows on CD sets thru their site but the vinyl is limited to a best of from those shows.

laf848 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I saw them at the 9:30 Club in DC Saturday night. I enjoyed the heck out of CRB and they seemed locked in and in good spirits. Chris is way more comfortable on the guitar these days and its shows/sounds. Casal, of course, is a treasure. Loved his Telecaster sounds and that other guitar which sorta resembles Garcia's "Wolf." There were moments when my wife and I were dancing our asses off in the 2nd set where we were all "one" and on the same wavelength as the band. CRB is one of the only bands these days that really gets the psychedelic thing. There were some soul touching moments that, if bottled, would be strong enough to wipe out disease and famine.

Casal had on a Doug Sahm t-shirt, BTW. Makes sense.

25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

I so wanna go and see the shows in Colorado!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.