Traveling to Southern Maine - and record stores of note?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Vinylfindco, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters Thread Starter

there used to be a couple in the Saco/Biddeford area but I haven't been there in years.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Bill O'Neill's in Saco is closed, sadly.

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Bull Moose is in Portsmouth NH as well as Portland and South Portland. There are small shops in Portland (next to Marcie's Diner, a must stop for breakfast) and along the main drag in Brunswick. I don't know either store's name, unfortunately.

4. Vinylfindco

That's a shame. I found several rarities there.

5. Vinylfindco

I've never been to a Bull Moose, but it doesn't appear that they have vintage vinyl. Anyway, Portland seems to have several small shops, but I did find one on a search that I had visited before: Mikes Music in Sanford. I remember I picked up my MOFI Beatles White Album there years ago. Cool store, will hit it in the way up the coast!

6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The Portsmouth NH shop has a pretty good used vinyl section at the far end of the store.

7. Vinylfindco

Thanks!

8. PB with J

PB with J Forum Resident

In Portland, ME are four stores - Enterprise is the long time shop, Moody Lords has a good selection (combo used clothing and vinyl - pretty strong vinyl selection), Strange Maine is very hit or miss, and Electric Buddhas, which is a bit overpriced I feel (though a good selection).

O'Neill's is closed, and there was a shop in downtown Biddeford that is also closed, apparently. There is a shop in Dover, NH - Spun Records - which is closed or closing (every time I've gone in the past month it's been closed. They had posted their open times last week, but none for this week at spundover.com).

Mike's Music in Sanford is ok - I wasn't blown away by their selection (although it's been awhile since I've been there). If you head over that way, then it's worth continuing to Rochester, NH. Skeletone Records has a pretty extensive selection, with prices ranging from incredibly cheap to outrageous.

The Portsmouth Bull Moose has a good selection of used records - Portland has some used records, but most are dumpster-dive quality and selection.

MikaelaArsenault and Northwind like this.
  9. Vinylfindco

Thanks for all the info!

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I recently checked out Enterprise (very impressed), Moody Lords (good not great), and Strange Maine (some potential, I only had a few minutes). Enterprise sells ONLY vinyl, and the owner is very proud of his devotion to the format and allows test plays for both content and condition.

11. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I visited this thread to get some information and I thought I'd mention the reason for my visit. I was looking for new places to go because I recently visited the Bullmoose in Portsmouth NH only to find they had pretty much eliminated their vintage vinyl. They used to be a regular stop for me, but no longer. Where they used to have a long row of browsers filled with vintage vinyl along a side wall deep inside the store, they now had one browser. There is some vintage vinyl mixed in with the small main browser and end caps you see as you enter the store. All in all it is not worth the 70 minute drive for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.