Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    Prokofiev: War and Peace; Summer Night; Russian Overture
    Neeme Jarvi
    Philharmonia Orchestra
    Chandos, 1992

Pouchkine, Mik and ToddBD like this.
  2. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Found at the thrift for $1 today...nice clean copy, probably only played a couple of times...
    [​IMG]

Mik and dale 88 like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now enjoying symphony 2. Superb sound and performance.

Edit - and now symphony 7.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    alankin1, Mik, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  4. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I'm seeing Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time performed tonight! :goodie:

Also on the program is Mozart's string quintet K. 593 and the Rachmaninoff cello sonata.

Mik, scompton and ToddBD like this.
  5. George P

Superb program!

6. dale 88

[​IMG]
    Someone I know recommended this disc, but it is not my cup of tea.
    Simon Rattle
    Sibelius: Symphonies 5 & 7
    EMI, 1991

7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing, CD 7:
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    – Sonata for Piano No.2 in F major K 280 (189e)
    – Sonata for Piano No.13 in B flat major K 333 (315c)
    – Sonata for Piano No.5 in G major K 283 (189h)
    Sviatoslav Richter (piano) (Decca)

Recorded live in Salzburg in 1966.

[​IMG]

tomymontana, Mik, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  8. dale 88

Karel Ancerl
    Czech Philharmonic
    Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky; Symphony-Concerto for Cello and Orchestra
    Supraphon, 2004
    I liked both, but especially the Symphony-Concerto with Andre Navarra.
    The sound was very good, even more so than some of the first Gold Editions of Ancerl.
    [​IMG]

9. dale 88

I have listened to the new Andris Nelsons Boston Symphony Brahms set a couple of times. I have reservations so I will listen again a few months down the road.
    [​IMG]

10. dale 88

For those interested in Brahms symphony interpretations, don't overlook the Chicago Symphony set with James Levine. It is one of my favorites.
    [​IMG]
    The symphonies were recorded in 1976. I believe Paul Goodman was the engineer. Wonderful sound.

ToddBD and Mik like this.
  11. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

What are your initial thoughts on this set?

12. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I enjoy harpsichord music so after reading here about the pedal harpsichord I went and bought Bach Six Trio Sonatas played on pedal harpsichord by E. Power Biggs. It is on a Sony Essential Classics CD. The sound is really great and I love the music and playing on this disc!

drh and Wes H like this.
  13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

just in > brand new release BD-Video - marvelous standards and one new:

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  14. dale 88

Neeme Jarvi
    Scottish National Orchestra
    Prokofiev: Suites - Chout; Le pas d'Acier; Love of Three Oranges
    Chandos, 1989
    [​IMG]

Mik, bruce2 and ToddBD like this.
  15. dale 88

Karel Ancerl
    Czech Philharmonic
    Smetana: Ma Vlast
    Supraphon, 2002
    [​IMG]

16. dale 88

I have collected quite a few Andris Nelsons recordings and like most of them. On the new Boston Symphony Brahms, I am not sure I like the pace of some of the movements. So I decided to wait a year or so, and then try to evaluate whether I disagree or dislike his approach. Or maybe by then I will appreciate the interpretations more than I do now. :)

George P and bruce2 like this.
  17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Listening to this recording for the first time. A tortured volcanic individual reading. Not comfortable at all. Highly recommended.

And the audio quality is amazing. Detailed with perfect reverberation and clarity. A case demonstrating that 16/44 is more than enough provided the recording and mastering is adequately successful.

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Pickering33, Mik and 2 others like this.
  18. George P

I have that whole set! Picked it up cheap, used, a few years back. I should revisit it soon.

[​IMG]

Pickering33 and layman like this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I know, they can be very critical and harsh at times, but this is what ClassicsToday wrote about Sinopoli's Mahler Symphonies set:

"A set easily dispensed with: Sinopoli delivers fine performances of Symphonies 2, 3, and 5, and an exceptionally good Das Lied von der Erde (with the Staatskapelle Dresden sounding much more at home and idiomatic than the Philharmonia ever does). Everything else is mediocre (Das Klagende Lied; Symphonies Nos. 1, 4, 8, and 9) to lousy (Symphonies Nos. 6 and 7). The problems generally stem from slow tempos (Symphony No. 6’s Andante), surprisingly bad playing (Symphony No. 7, finale), mannered phrasing (just about everywhere), strange sonics (often too reverberant with peculiar balances), and an orchestra whose weak trombones and lack of power in its lower registers fail to do justice to the range of Mahler’s unique orchestration. Of all the complete Mahler cycles available, this one arguably makes the least powerful claim on your purse, and it certainly doesn’t equal or surpass those by Tennstedt, Bernstein, Kubelik, Haitink, Ozawa, or even Solti, despite the inclusion of the song cycles and the early cantata."

A renowned Dutch critic whose ears I trust wasn't very postive either, he said that the musical quality of Sinopoli's set was very variable, which description he often uses as a euphemism for "not very good".

Haven't heard the set myself, so I can't comment, but this doesn't sound very inviting...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    geralmar likes this.
  20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Classicstoday is generally to be avoided and should not in any way make us hesitate to listen to Sinopolis Mahler cycle. It should actually force us to do it. Hurwitz & co. usually stuck in some technicalities like the trombones or some percussion, and build their superfluous reviews thereon.

Sinopoli,s reading is so interesting because it is risky and inspired and makes you wonder what more exists in Mahler's works. My opinion.

geralmar and layman like this.
  21. George P

[​IMG]

I should mention that my first pass though this set was enjoyable. It was highly recommended by an orchestral afficionado friend of mine who shares my taste in classical performance. I feel that this is perhaps the most valuable aspect of participating in online forums, I can find people who share my taste, so when they recommend something, it is much more likely that I will enjoy it. I once went by online reviews until I realized how often my taste differed from theirs, not to mention that my respect for one of them, David Hurwitz, dimished with almost every review of his that I read. Hurwitz wrote the Classics Today review of this set had very little positive to say about it. In fact, he had very little in general to say about the set as a whole. I have seen longer reviews for a single CD and this is a 15 CD set! Luckily, I have other places to go for guidance.

RiRiIII likes this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Anybody here have any opinions about Eliahu Inbal's cycle with the Frankfurt RSO?

23. George P

I was typing my response as you posted yours! Personally, I have found Jed Distler's reviews to be helpful and along the lines of my own taste. In his reviews, Hurwitz almost always comes across as a buffoon to me.

RiRiIII likes this.
  24. George P

Sorry, haven't heard it. I have read good things, though.

25. drh

drh Talking Machine

I've never forgiven Hurwitz for an article he wrote in the sad thing Opus became after Musical America took it over and gutted it. The gist of it was that recordings, and particularly historical recordings, have little or no value and that the only way to hear music properly is live. A view that, by pure happenstance, just happened to align perfectly with the artsy-arched-eyebrow philosophy of Musical America at the time....

RiRiIII and George P like this.