Counterfeits Coming Out Of China and Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Malina, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malina

Malina Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone noticed this on Ebay in the past 3-6 months? I see every new Time Life cd and lately I'm noticing a lot of fairly recent Time Life sets being sold too cheap or starting at one cent.

Here is importcds surrounded by Hong Kong and China sellers on the new NRBQ b0x.

High Noon - A 50-Year Retrospective in Music CDs | eBay

Dennis Metz got his NRBQ set for free: "The seller instantly refunded my money when I pointed out that everything he has listed look like counterfeits."

NRBQ New 5-CD Compilation Coming: HIGH NOON - A 50-Year Retrospective

I just hope this stuff doesn't get into the supply chain of other sellers. I would assume importcds is safe because they must be buying directly from the labels.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  2. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

As a matter of personal policy, I don't buy any CDs/SACDs/DVDs/Blu rays, etc. Risk of receiving a counterfeit is too high and not worth it.

Fullbug likes this.
  3. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

On ebay, or just in general?

NJB

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  4. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I've noticed this same trend with vinyl on Amazon - albums listed for under $5 that should be selling for $25+ each. As someone who has spent a number of years focusing on counterfits coming out of South East Asia, I can attest to the fact it will be difficult to stop this as long as consumers buy the counterfit products. Bottom line is an old saying - "if it's too good to be true it is"

SinnerSaint and Malina like this.
  5. Malina

That's interesting. You could buy music discs direct from the specialty labels. Distributors like importcds/Deep Discount buy direct from the labels but they could knowingly buy and then sell counterfeits to increase profits. I tend to think they would not do this because it would damage their relationship with the labels. I don't know about DVDs or Blu rays because I don't buy them. I know I picked up a Larry Sanders Show DVD set on Amazon and it was a used reseal job - lotta that going around on Amazon. I buy new oop cd's and I have about 100 used reseals that I got for free and that doesn't include all the ones I had to send back to the seller. Amazon third party sellers is a cesspool of con artists and ignoramuses, but what can you do.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    footlooseman and SinnerSaint like this.
  6. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Counterfeiting from Chyna? Who would have thought?

Shrdlu, Malina, tribby2001 and 2 others like this.
  7. Sidewinder43

eBay for sure. Pretty much in general as well, especially on sports fan gear.

8. Sidewinder43

I try to be careful with third party sellers too. The main problems I run into are getting a CD instead of an SACD and one disc out of a two disc

Malina and wayneklein like this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I wouldn't trust any CD/DVD/SACD/BD from a Hong Kong eBay seller, to be a legit copy.

Today, or years ago for that matter.

10. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I don't know if it came out of China, but about a year ago I bought a Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness vinyl off eBay that, even to my untrained eye, looked suspicious. I looked into the matter and sure enough, it was a bootleg. I should have know because I paid less than $200 and it usually goes for far more. Luckily, eBay has protections for that kind of thing and I got my money back.

11. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Lots of counterfeit Beatles vinyl on ebay. Much of it is colored vinyl so easy to avoid, but also some that's made to deceive.

12. Malina

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    footlooseman likes this.
  13. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Nobody produced counterfeit SACD yet AFAIK. You can start buying them right now ;).

tmtomh likes this.
  14. Well that's silly and restrictive.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm amazed that they are now counterfeiting niche product like nrbq.

tmtomh likes this.
  16. Sidewinder43

Naw, I'm good.

17. Sidewinder43

It works for me. YMMV.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  18. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Lots of counterfeit copies of the Rolling Stones mono albums box floating around.

melstapler likes this.
  19. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Yes, I agree. There is a lot of hyperbole in that counterfeit risk comment.

wayneklein likes this.
  20. I'm just cautious about where I purchase them. I've never gotten a counterfeit SACD.

melstapler likes this.
  21. Sidewinder43

Don't think it's hyperbolic. I just choose to buy from vendors that I have 100% confidence in.

22. Sidewinder43

That's great. I haven't either.

23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

What part of 100% vendor confidence am I missing? eBay for sure/pretty much in general as well pretty much accounts for most everything out there.

I think if one is ever stung by a counterfeit, it's because they went barking up the wrong tree. Buy from China directly, you're likely to have a problem. Amazon deals can be dicey but I've tapped into many without issue by avoiding too-good-to-be-true deals by artists who are likely to be subject to fakes (Bowie, McCartney, etc).

It doesn't help to paint such a broad brush over most/all physical media.

24. Sidewinder43

I don't buy anything directly from China/Hong Kong/Russia/Eastern Europe. Ok? Why do you care? That's how choose to spend my money. I don't advocate that anyone else should do the same.

25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Not all CD titles coming from China are counterfeit and not all sellers in China are selling counterfeit items. I've bought at least 10 sealed/brand new CD titles which were authentic and had the white/yellow barcode Walmart sticker on the front. I certainly didn't expect them to have Walmart tags on the outer plastic. Although these CDs shipped from China, they were most likely overstock from Walmart. Most of these titles were part of the Original Album Classics series, while others were more recent individual 1CD titles by major artists. As someone who owns multiples of each title, I compared those copies which shipped from China to my copies purchased here in the U.S. and they're identical in every way.

DiabloG, tmtomh and Malina like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.