Is there any reason Frasier didn't get an HD remaster like Cheers?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by OldSoul, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This is a fascinating little mystery, though. Any chance it might be because the show doesn't bring the syndication bucks its' predecessor did? Surely not. Maybe it's blocked to be resized to HD as it is? Or...maybe since Lilith was on Cheers more, and goosing the quality would make it easier for the audience to hear her lisps, improving the hilarity...?

Just spit-ballin' here....

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'? Thread Starter

I've seen Frasier in syndication more often than Cheers.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't try reasoning with snark! Haven't you learned ANYthing by watching all those Frasier's?!?

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I have put this in the classifieds, should someone with Region 2 capability want it. Anyone bought the latest US set ?

5. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I don't know why studios don't release more classic series on BD if they are on film. Scanning and some tweaking is all they need to do. It looks like I'll be waiting for "V" original series forever to be released on BD.

6. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

I met AC very briefly and was duly impressed. Very personable and very elegant at the same time. It's great that he lived so long and that one only hears good things about him.

Did you ever meet Jane Leeves? Such a pretty woman and still is today. Her later series, "Hot in Cleveland" was a hoot and there were a few Frasier references plus appearances by some of the other cast.

zebop and Deesky like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A lot of it boils down the questions from the accounting executives: "if we spend X dollars remastering this show in HD, will it eventually make a profit?" And that's a hard question to answer. I think usually the answer is, "it probably won't make any money (if at all), but it's something that should be done just for posterity."

MikaelaArsenault and Robert C like this.
  8. Additionally, I don't know why studios don't release more current series on Blu-ray. Lots of current series produced and broadcast in glorious Full HD, but all you can buy are DVDs. I don't get it.

9. EddieVanHalen

Don't you think that "V The Miniseries" and "V The Final Battle" would make money if released on Blu ray? I think it would, come on,it was the most expensive T.V. series of its time. I understand if Warner Bros. didn't release the weekly series as it was dreadful, but the two previous miniseries I think sold quite well when they were released on DVD back in 2001 and 2002, and so they would on Blu ray. I've seen far worse series released on Blu ray, Knight Rider for example.

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I really liked Hot in Cleveland - it was lightweight entertainment, but the gals looked like they were really having a lot of fun. There were so many cameo guest stars from the old days which added a lot to the appeal of the show.

"For relaxing times, make it Lady Pant time. I feel as fresh as Mt. Fuji".

MikaelaArsenault and eddiel like this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Many TV Blu sales hit the skids.

12. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

The answer is simple: money. There are any number of shows that have had some seasons released on both DVD and Blu-ray, only to switch to DVD-only at some point. Bones is a recent example. Seasons four through eight were released on both DVD and Blu-ray. Starting with season nine, they went back to DVD-only. Most people don't care enough about picture quality to spend a few extra dollars for a Blu-ray. I have a couple of friends who almost never buy Blu-rays because, as far as they're concerned, "DVD is good enough."

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

This ABBA song says it all.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My opinion is that the current people who run the studios are all 30-somethings who have no idea what went on in the 1980s (or earlier). They're only concerned with stuff that happened in the last 20 years, if that. To them, anything much earlier than that is "old" and anything earlier than that (like the 1960s or 1950s) is "ancient." So the short answer is: they just don't care.

Usually when something gets reissued at a studio, it's because there's a cheerleader at the studio who's a fan of specific movies or TV shows, and they lobby passionately for them with their bosses and bring them up at meetings and so on. There are people that care about good shows -- and I would put the V movies in that category -- but I think for the vast majority of studio execs, they'd basically say, "just go and stream it on Amazon or Hulu or iTunes." (I'm assuming they're available there.)

15. EddieVanHalen

They're loss, a pitty them for being so narrow-minded. I was 4 when Van Halen S/T was released and 5 when Van Halen II hit, and 2 when Boston S/T was released or 6 when Black Sabbath's Heaven & Hell and 7 when Rush's Moving Pictures was out, and these are my all time favourite albums of all time and I play them at least once every week, and they are not the music of my generation, Nirvana, Pearl Jam,Smashing Pumkins or REM were, but as a music enthusiast I try to listen to the music I like best, regardless of the time it was released. And same with movies, I love 2001 and A Clockwork Orange, they are some of my all times favourites, and I wasn't even born when they came out. It seems like Millennials are brainwashed with technology making anything that doesn't fit a certain time and tech criteria old and obsolete.
    Again, their loss.

MikaelaArsenault and Benno123 like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's not brainwashing. it's just...life. Times move on as does culture. Old timers need to accept this basic fact of life, because their cherished memories were once considered with the same disdain by older generations...

17. David Whusenheimer

David Whusenheimer New Member

I just wanted to let you that i think theres kinda an unofficial remastered version i guess.
    I found this channel on youtube:
    Frasier By JDG
    It only offers Frasier HD clips.

18. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'? Thread Starter

Those all seem to be from seasons 10 and 11. Those two were broadcast in HD and can be found in HD on streaming services.

19. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Maybe they didn't do the remasters because

they don't know what to do with those tossed salads and scrambled eggs.
    :D

goodiesguy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

Where is the complete NYPD blue series not just 1-5 / These shows pay for the music when then air, how much more are we talking if they include the songs in the dvd releases - Seems now they would say if we use your song in the show it will also be used in the dvd / streaming releases - Cold case comes to mind

really sucks how much good home recording got ruined when DVD recorders came out and people werent sure to go with wide screen or regular screem as it seems most chose wide screen and that seems to ruin a lot of stuff but I dunno

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'm guessing most of these HD remasters are being doing with syndication in mind? So that they don't look like crap when everyone has a 4K display? Because I doubt there's enough interest in a blu-ray boxset of Perfect Strangers, for example...

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

NYPD Blue? What does that have to do with Frasier?

Having said that, the whole NYPD Blue series is available on DVD. How it was filmed doesn't lend itself to HD anyway. It never was a beautiful show. Same with The Shield which is another favorite of mine but its gritty picture added to atmosphere. I doubt either show will ever get the HD treatment.

Now, let's stick to Frasier, which is what this thread is supposed to be about.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it's more for streaming nowadays, but yeah -- I think the chance for physical release of any of this crap is almost nil. The film shows could hold up pretty well for 4K if they really wanted to go that for. HD uprezzed to 4K doesn't look too bad when done well.

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Like an IQ over 85...

It was a solid show, but it was high-brow, low-brow situation comedy at best.

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Disagree. And they had to be on NBC which handcuffs the writers to a degree.

Stills, its comedy was quite varied. Really high-brow in some episodes and low-brow in others. They had farce, physical comedy, etc. Some stuff worked while other stuff didn't... just like any show.

I wonder what other primetime sitcom could be elevated to be smarter than Frasier.

OldSoul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.