Experience Hendrix extend Sony Deal ...................

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gordon Johnson, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

In a recent Tori Amos podcast (October 27, 2016), Janie Hendrix was interviewed and she mentioned that they were working on a documentary about Jimi's visit to Mauii, Hawaii and the two sets he played there which ended up in the film "Rainbow Bridge.
    So maybe no album. :( Wait and see.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  2. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

They are. Ultimate Hendrix talks about playing the film back on a Movieola or some type of primitive projection device so that Mitch could see it to play along during the drum overdubbing. They obviously decided early on the drums "as is" were not recorded well enough to be included on an official release.

Maidenpriest and DTK like this.
  3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Wind issues is different than badly recorded. Maybe 2017 technology can fix wind issues that couldn't be fixed right after Jimi died.

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm trying to be optimistic: maybe they felt that the drum sound of the original recording wasn't enough for a film theatre release. Perhaps with today's technology, Kramer could enhance the drums that are on the raw recordings. :wiggle:

5. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Could they do a bit of a 'matrix' of the two drum tracks, mixing down the re-recorded drum track into the original for a more natural sound?
    I'd imagine this would be a lot easier to do with modern technology than in the 1970s.

Purple Jim likes this.
  6. SoundAdvice

They've only scratched the surface on the alternate studio take stuff. Plus some of it has 50th public domain issues coming 12/31/17.

Imagine70 likes this.
  7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

You both could well be right, as audio technology has certainly come a long way since 1971. Of course within the Hendrix organization, the definition of what is "releasable" has certainly changed over time too :winkgrin:.

People in this thread have mentioned the Randall's Island '70 show as a possible candidate for release. I would've said before that there is no way they'd tap this show for a full CD/LPs worth of a release (too many dodgy moments), but after Isle Of Wight was released as a complete show, I'm no longer sure that's the case.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The wind problem is basically that Jimi's vocals sound quite muffled as his vocal mic was covered with foam from an instrument case. Maybe they can eq it in some way, maybe not. As I remember the vocals on the Maui track on the "purple box" sounds no better than the bootlegs.

9. Imagine70

Imagine70 Forum Resident

We'll see lots of Hendrix CDs in Europe next year if Sony/EH don't get a move on.

PacificOceanBlue and Tuck1977 like this.
  10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think the tracks they put as a bonus on the Miami DVD is all they have on film. As a standalone cd...you're right, it's much too rough.

11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Foxey Lady and The Star Spangled Banner exist on film as well as they've aired on U.S. TV before (and circulates in so so quality). I belive they feel most of the footage is too dark for use (lighting wise), not that footage is actually missing.

Foxey Lady - Randall's Island '70:

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

This clip from Randall's is of lesser quality than the first one I posted, but it includes SSB.

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You wouldn't be able to hear any difference between CD and SACD while driving in a car. Heck, most can't hear the difference on fancy at-home speaker systems.

Purple Jim likes this.
  14. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Perhaps they will get someone who sounds like Mitch (thinking Michael Jackson latest releases) to redo the drums, that is the sort of thing I can imagine EH would do !!

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

If they do, I'd like everyone to shut up already about Alan Douglas.

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

As long as the wind cries, "Mary," I'm OK.

:hide:

Purple Jim and DTK like this.
  17. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

It won't that song wasn't played :p

supermd likes this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The public domain situation is what suggests to me that an expansive release of 1967 material could surface during the fourth quarter of this year, because even though Janie seems reluctant to release too much material at one time, there are copyright considerations with the AYE/Axis tapes that need to be addressed by EH and Sony.

905, Imagine70 and Maidenpriest like this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yikes! Please don't give them any ideas.

20. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

But what would any third party release? More of what we have on boot already. Who here would bother to buy yet again from most likely less than original source let alone those fans / collectors who have this material for free and have done for years?

21. Gordon Johnson

Yeah right!!!:biglaugh:

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Maybe not many here but I'm sure loads of people out there would buy them, without knowing anything about the old bootlegs. If such things do flood the market, we are going to be busy detailing what they are!

Imagine70 and Gordon Johnson like this.
  23. Gordon Johnson

So in advance of that possibility......
    Most if not all will be available for free likewise, most if not all is already available in better quality than what will be sold to the gullible customer.
    Personally I have NO interest in this sort of release and am unlikely to part with any cash for such dross. But it seems there are plenty of fools with money judging the comments that abound regard the " grey" area releases which quite frankly sound crap.

Tullman likes this.
  24. SoundAdvice

It's not about us buying grey area b00ts, but Janie being distracted by releases she can't stop.

Or uncirculated stuff in private hands being released.

If EH release some unheard Axis outtakes in 5 years time, can it be immediately cloned and sold by a 3rd party?

25. Gordon Johnson

If EH release unheard Axis outs in 5 years time there would be no need to buy the " clones"!
    As for distration, that exists now and not just for EH. While customer's buy rubbish it has a habit of perpetuating further rubbish.
    Just look at the cost of the new vinyl Hendrix boots.
    What uncirculated material in such releasble quality do you reference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.