ABBA on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by el supernautico, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

The TYFTM set sounds quite bright, but retains full dynamics and is apparently transfered from good source tapes.

"The Album" is a somewhat special case. The original 80s CD has audible distortion, the 2001 remaster a somewhat wonky EQ and noise reduction, the 2005 CSR remaster (also used on the DLE) combines the distortion of the 80s CD with modern day loudness (albeit with a decent EQ and no NR, to be fair).

The MFIT is still a bit on the loud side, but free of distortion and with a nice frequency balance.

Don't know the 1997 remaster.

2. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space Thread Starter

IMHO, all their album covers look quite okay, with Arrival being my favorite and Voulez-Vous the least pleasant.
    The photo itself on VV is acceptable (could be better), but the graphic design just looks much too cheap for a global enterprise like ABBA.
    And I absolutely can't understand the love for The Singles... To me it almost seems like a must, putting ugly photos on their compilations from the eighties...
    Growing up with that crappy artwork and bad image that ABBA had later on in that decade, it was quite an eye-opener to realize the sexiness of Agnetha and their role as pioneers fashion-wise as I grew older and discovered their music.

Jrr and Jarleboy like this.
  3. el supernautico

Thank you, Limopard!
    Yes, The Album is... troubled. I still don't what will do the trick...:confused:

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The 80s fashions on the sleeve of The Singles don't do them any favours.:D I'd also say the group seemed to age very quickly. Agnetha looked much older in 1980 than she did in 1975. It looked like ten years had passed instead of five.

5. Bobby Morrow

I don't think the Mastered for iTunes version is bad.

6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I don't know if it's true, but I've read somewhere that the 2 "Gold" discs and the 1994 box used the mixdown tapes as sources. The Astley remasters also used those tapes.

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Probably my favorite, although quite ego-centric
    [​IMG]

Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I didn't see this site mentioned (sorry if I missed it) but the ABBA Plaza guy does a nice summary of the various CD issues over the years. I found his recommendations to be pretty much right on. He doesn't go past the 2005 CSR box, however. Go the album you're interested in and click "Audiophile": ABBA Plaza - albums - ring ring - audiophile

9. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

What I like about "THE SINGLES" cover is not so much the fashions nor the composition. I simply enjoy the smiles.

Yes, the two women seemd to have aged a lot more than you´d expect. I personally think the early 80s hairdos did them absolutely no favours. They both look better in 2017...

For some reason, I rate the "SUPER TROUPER" album cover as the one I like the least. I don´t know what it is about it - it seems a bit unforcused, and the smiles seem forced. (Mine certainly would be!) Again, the colour brown for some reason doesn´t seem to with ABBA´s music, for soem reason.

You might think that "RING RING" would be the ugliest - and in many ways ut betrays its early 70s roots, but even though it´s hardly a thing of beauty, it has its own, amateurish charm. The "WATERLOO" album cover is not one I like, either.

As for the "VOULEZ-VOUS" album cover... I love the blue, metallic colour, I love the pyramid stretching towards the sky. I understand why most fans don´t like that much, but I feel that it´s somehow appropriate for the sound and themes of the album.

I have even bought a poster of the album cover that I intend to frame and hang on my wall. Some day, maybe someday. (Only Bobby might get that last quote, I think.)

John Adam and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

I think Super Trouper has the laziest cover of all. It looks like the band are just in between takes of the filming of the video. Which they probably were.:) It deserved a better cover.

Tony Cruse, John Adam and Jarleboy like this.
  11. el supernautico

My aunt's skin looked similar in those days.:uhhuh:
    I guess it was the make-up then, with too much vanishing creme (in Germany, NIVEA was a must-have) and ALWAYS permanent waves...
    Concerning the Super-Trouper cover, I don't think it looks rushed. There must have been lots of preparations before these shots were done.
    No, I really think ALL cover photos were carefully done, even if I don't always like them. I don't know who the photograph(ers) was/were, but almost all of their videos and the Abba movie were shot by Lasse Hallström, a renowned film-maker these days!
    But that compilation-stuff was too often something else... really, really really... bad.

12. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Surprisingly, that´s one we agree on. When I said "unfocused", that´s more or less what I meant. I love CDs, as you know, and the cover is even worse when reduced to CD-size. The theme fits the title track, so that´s logical, but it´s a stretch to say it comprises the themes of the other songs. You can stretch and make it fit, but... Not one of their best, I think.

But then again, you won´t find me complaining as long as I see the ABBA logo... :righton:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Jarleboy and JP Christian like this.
  14. el supernautico

I don't remember where, but along these lines I read that the Pickwick stuff isn't really that good.
    If I'm not wrong, just a louder version of the 1997 remaster - what indeed is sufficient to sound better than the CSR box set!;)

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

The pickwick compilations came out in 1986 (Hits 1), 1988 (Hits 2 & 3) and 1989 (Love Songs) - so it's technically impossible that they are "just a louder version of the 1997 remasters..." - unless they had a time machine :tiphat:

c-eling and Jarleboy like this.
  16. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

By the way, I've got the first three (Love songs I may pick up as all of these Imp/Pickwick CDs are still cheap to buy) - I've never really listened to them - are they sourced from the Polydors or are they a unique mastering?

17. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I had them and they are a unique mastering although the sources might be the Polydors. I didn't think they sounded much better or worse than the other cds at the time. The only one I still have is Love Songs. It contains the complete version of Lovelight. The edited version used on More Gold was much more common.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. c-eling

I have the PW Hits Box from 1991, a package of 1-3 Not a louder version, My box contained-
    The Hits-1990 (DANDISC)
    Vol.2 1988 (MPO)
    Vol.3 1988 (MPO)
    The ones I checked actually had lower peak levels than their polygram counterparts

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. el supernautico

So then I was wrong, sorry for that. My fault may well come from the thinking "not better=not needed", as I was looking for the best available sources...
    Now, to have Lovelight in complete and unremastered form is indeed interesting, but I'm going into rarities territory here... (KeepInBackOfMind KeepInBackOfMind KeepInBackOfMind)

Jarleboy, JP Christian and c-eling like this.
  20. c-eling

Kind of a PIA, but for one of the best sounding 'Should I Laugh or Cry' I had to grab the US 7 inch single 'When All Is Said and Done'
    I did my own transfer of it.
    Let me know Nautic and I'll post a sample from that PW box if you're curious

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. el supernautico

Very kind of you, c-eling, but that would be quite a stretch intention-wise.:)
    I've often heard that ABBA is best served on vinyl (what sadly is the case with SOME bands I like), and some day, when my wallet's willing to say "yes!!", I'm going to investigate into an acceptable turntable and vinyl.
    But this day is not now, thank you again!:tiphat:

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have ABBA's best album on CD, I'm good. :p
    [​IMG]

Ignominious likes this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, this post will liven things up a bit. A fan since 1975. Have bought pretty much every US release on CD and vinyl. So, can't comment to much on digital imports. Maybe they are amazing. As far as US CD's, I have never heard a domestic US CD that I really liked. And believe me, it wasn't for lack of trying I assure you. I bought them all! So, that was quick.

That brings us to vinyl. Better news there. Never heard any especially good domestic Atlantic pressings. My guess is they probably were unwilling to ship masters to the US...I sure wouldn't! And, it isn't easy finding quiet vinyl pressings on Atlantic, so there's that. But, there are a couple I like very much, and one is a set I just discovered because many members here were recommending it. First, there was a box set released with a silver cover a few years ago, and it included an extra disc with extras, mainly things that were not on any of the regular albums, like Under Attack (though that was on a comp). Polar issued it, which is probably why there was such a leap in quality compared to previous US versions. It was beautifully packaged, and I felt until recently I was done. It was reissued after it sold out, for less money but less fancy packaging and missing the extra disc, but I believe some here have confirmed it is the same albums on Polar. Since then I believe the albums have been broken out so you don't have to buy all of them. Avoid the temptation to buy the 45rpm Abbey Road issue of Arrival. I'm so glad I bought that turkey from Amazon...it was defective so I had a good reason to return it (had non-fill issues which is pretty unbelievable for such an expensive, audiophile grade release). However, it just didn't sound very good.

There is an older box set that I kept reading about here from the UK. Before I say who put it out, let me first tell you I can confirm what others have said. It's a very well done compilation with an outstanding track selection. The sequencing is just beautifully done...clearly it was not slapped together. It bounces around between early and later material but it isn't jarring at all and it makes it a fun listen. It was pressed on audiophile vinyl and is dead quiet. Each of the five albums comes in a nice cardboard sleeve and the albums are housed in rice paper, so this was mean't for people that wanted quality. Best of all, I have never heard the songs sound better. Ever. Someone else just got one and thanked me for recommending it, saying he agreed. And it isn't expensive! You can get it on line with just a bit of effort, for likely under $100. And here is the kicker, and why initially I rolled my eyes....it's a Readers Digest set! I would love to know who really put this together because it's a treasure for any ABBA fan that wants good sound. So guys, laugh but this is the one to get unless you don't do vinyl, or can locate the expensive Polar box set. I will now duck out! This isn't going to be a popular post for those that like their CD's. Hey...I tried. I spent a small fortune trying to find good CD's, from the day CD's first came out. Never happened for me.

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Okay....that is very cool! Gonna have to find that...despite trashing CDs in my previous post.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

Weren't the Pickwick CDs sourced from the UK CBS tapes?