What previously unreleased David Bowie would you prioritize? Suggest some logical concepts/packages

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rooster_Ties, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

My last.fm stats tell me I've listened to the combined tracks over a thousands times and I'm still not bored with it! New Pegg book out soon!

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Glastonbury 2000

The audio is out there now [BBC6 Music broadcast]. A dvd would be great, although the performance is fab, it does need some work, IMO. Of the top of my head, Fame ending needs 'fixing', along with Bowie coming in too early on one part of Spaceboy and some vocal patching on Changes and China Girl. Ashes also has some noise issues on the broadcast version above.

3. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Do you mean the four fall 1996 "club" shows while Earthling was being recorded? When I attended this tour in Boston, there were signs everywhere telling us that the show was being filmed. It exists, somewhere...

BlueSpeedway and marc with a c like this.
  4. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Would anyone else like to have a three-disc set of the complete shows from Carnegie Hall 9-28-1972 and Boston Music Hall 10-1-1972?

I think hearing both of those concerts would be so divine.

cmcintyre and Rufus rag like this.
  5. longaway

longaway Senior Member

That show looks like it would be great to see! But, I was referring to the 1997 tour, after Earthling was released. I believe I've mentioned before that I was at one of the Ft. Lauderdale shows, and it was phenomenal! Pretty sure I was at the Oct 7th show. The next night, though...supposedly the longest show he's ever played...my Lord! If it hadn't have been miraculous that I got in to that magnificent show at all, I'd have been kicking myself for not waiting until the next night.

footprintsinthesand and pobbard like this.
  6. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I was at the second show. I can assure you that as long as the recording was done properly, it could likely be the greatest latter day Bowie release imaginable. He just. kept. playing.

BlueSpeedway and longaway like this.
  7. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

Ernie Johnson tape
    Tiny Tim (Bowie): the opening song contains camp lyrics such as "Your friend, he's really rather bona/A cultivated stud, Tim?/You're wearing high drag, but your eyes/Have a teensy weensy sad, dad/I'' keep it mum, dad."

Where's The Loo (Bowie): described by Record Collector as "a comic extravanganza for three cockney party-goers".

Season Folk (Bowie): described as "ultra-romantic, falling midway between the cynical idealism of 'London Boys' and Bowie's later open-eyed worship of the Warhol-scene".

Just a Moment Sir (Bowie): notorious for its lyrics, a dialogue between a tramp and Ernie about the problems of "nig-nogs".

Various Times Of Day (Bowie): a suite of songs including 'Early Morning', Noon-Lunchtime' and 'Evening'.

Ernie Boy (Bowie): Ernie's dramatic monologue, complete with an ad-libbed intro: "Suicide isn't something I've always wanted to do... I'm not running away, I know who I am".

This Is My Day (Bowie): Ernie celebrates his forthcoming self-destruction.

Untitled (Bowie): the last, untitled track of the rock opera, has Ernie visiting a Carnaby Street boutique: "Just look at the quality of our shirts/That's not a stain, sir/That's a psychedelic motif."

Lost In The Flood and cmcintyre like this.
  8. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Any news about the full version of the Shilling the Rubes track which I remember you said would be coming out in July?

9. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

a ruse to get someone to leak it.

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Any Arnold Corns stuff in the vaults?

11. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

I seem to remember in Sean Mayes' book "We Can Be Heroes" he said there was an entire album of (North?) African rhythms recorded with Eno around the time of the Lodger album which got me thinking it could've been a tryout for what Eno went on to do a little later with David Byrne on My Life In The Bush of Ghosts. Don't know how accurate that is but it would certainly fit in with the 'world music' experiments on the Lodger album. Would love to hear that.

zphage likes this.
  12. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Sounds feasible, but it looks like it didn't work.
    The Ernie Johnson Tape is more my sort of thing anyway. 50 Years Anniversary next year. Come on someone. Do it.

By far the most remarkable discovery on recent years has been the “Ernie Johnson” tape, which was put up for auction in June Christie’s. The first mention of this came in Ken Pitt’s book, when he refers to it fleetingly as “a four-page project … which tells the story of Ernie’s suicide party”. The tape and lyrics reveal that “Ernie Johnson” was a thirty-minute-plus mini rock opera, probably intended for film or TV.
    …..It’s likely that “Ernie Johnson” dates from around February 1968, by which time Bowie was [sic] access to multi-track facilities, which enabled him to overdub vocals, acoustic and electric guitars and some footstomping rhythm on the ten songs. As Peter Doggett said in his analysis of the tape back in June: “The plot couldn’t be described as finely-tuned … Ernie’s staging a suicide party, at which Tiny Tim is one of the guests; Ernie remembers his passing loves from the previous year; he has a racist conversation with a tramp; sings a song to himself in the mirror; rushes off to Carnaby Street to buy a tie for the big occasion of his suicide and there the song and stage directions come to an end.”
    The ten songs included are as follows: “Tiny Tim” (camp lyrics sung over a variant of the Searchers’ “Sweets For My Sweet”); “Where’s The Loo” (comic, proto-“Queen Bitch”); “Season Folk” (Jimmy Webb-influenced); “Just One Moment Sir” (conversation piece between the tramp and Ernie); and a suite of songs under the collective title of “Various Times Of Day”, marked by some distinctive, multi-layered vocals. These include “Early Morning”, “Noon-Lunchtime” and “Evening”. “Ernie Boy” (monologue), “This Is My Day” and an untitled song which features the strangest music on the tape, bring “Ernie Johnson” to a close. It’s very much Bowie’s lost rock opera, and it would be wonderful if extremely unlikely if it could enjoy a wider audience. As the tape went unsold at the auction, there is little hope that it will be made available, officially or otherwise, in the foreseeable future.

‘You didn’t hear them from me’ (Part 1)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Does anyone have a link to a 70's interview in which he tells the interviewer he has at least four finished albums ready to go.

14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Ziggy movie Blu-ray(shown theatrically in HD)

DB/NIN tour video.

Storytellers Blu-ray from the FILM NEGATIVE including unseen bits.

All the music ideos shot on film on Blu-ray.

Colinjpush likes this.
  15. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

That's a tour that has grown in significance. It may not have been appreciated at the time, but now it is damn near historic.

The sad quote from the editor who revealed the unfinished tour film footage is lost forever first appeared here:
    40 minute rough cut pro footage from NIN/Bowie concert surfaces - published at the Nine Inch Nails Hotline
    "This shoot was when Virgin Records was going under and did not have the money to finish. The footage is lost forever. I was the editor of record for this project. This concert was probably never paid for to the production company due to the snafu with the label."--David Williams

I can't believe it would have happened like that. Someone had to have saved the recordings. Even a company going bankrupt would have understood that the footage was an asset. Plus that statement was very unclear about whether the rushes were in the hands of Virgin, or in the hands of whatever production company Williams was working for that was making the rough cut. And he didn't explicitly say how the footage was "lost" - thrown away? Misplaced? Transferred from Virgin to whoever bought Virgin? I mean for heaven's sakes, it is several cubic feet of video cassettes (of every angle), how could something that large be lost??

Worst case scenario, the rough cut that Williams has, that was shared and still floats around, could somehow be cleaned up. His copy may have only been a VHS or maybe an SVHS, and incomplete, but it is better than not having it at all.

16. nick jones

yes, the track will be released only cd format, direct from Drexel university,by a very famous japanese bootleg label

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    oldturkey likes this.
  17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

hehe. this sounds execrable.

18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

And just for those who continue to doubt Tony Viscontini's contribution to the Bowie mythology, here's the classic – The Recording of Warszawa – cartoon from Adam Buxton.

Chrome_Head and bobdylansbarber like this.
  19. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Anything to do with Outside / The Leon Suites.

20. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

It's also "Lady Sadie" by Hotlegs

DTK likes this.
  21. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

A totally unreasonable dream, but I'd like to see all the bonus/non-album tracks that have ever appeared on CD (Ryko, the more recent expanded editions, and maybe even the Recall compilations, etc etc) re-compiled as stand-alone CD/LPs, each one themed to match the album they correspond with... the alternate Space Oddity, MWSTW, Ziggy etc. And bolstered, of course, with sufficient surprises that we're not just buying the same stuff again.

Like I said, totally unreasonable - but they've got to do something with all that stuff sometime. Haven't they?

Runicen and Pim like this.
  22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Amazing. The Neil Young influence has been cited on Hunky, but I never knew this. Could it even lead to a lawsuit if re-released?

DTK likes this.
  23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Oh. This was meant for the boxset thread!

24. nick jones

ernie johnson tape first and ziggy outtakes too

25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

My guess, reading the descriptions of those songs, is that Ernie Johnson will never come out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.