How would you rate "Tonight" (1984) by David Bowie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boy that post made absolutely no sense. In English (and on my iPad where it is a bit easier to read)
    The only reason I came to buy the CD are for the bonus tracks. Disliked the album then, dislike it now.

I actually like Let's Dance although I would have thrown the other Cat People (both versions) on this reissue.

Bowieboy likes this.
  2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Avoid! I don't even think Let's Dance has aged very well. This one is just two OK cuts. Could have been a single and a B side.

3. peteham

peteham Senior Member

The album that got me in to Bowie. Go figure. I am the sole 'classic' vote, as that record is never from my turntable even as I am revelling in 'Hunky Dory' or 'Pin Ups' or 'Low'.

antonkk, drasil and davers like this.
  4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Terrible record. "Blue Jean" is the only track I genuinely liked. "Loving the Alien" at least sounds like there was some effort.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

You've listened to it more recently than I. Thought about trying to sit through it last week, but decided not to tamper with my foggy memory.

wayneklein likes this.
  6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Perhaps too much effort.

D.D.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  7. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I wonder how different Tonight would've turned out if Let's Dance had not been the biggest hit of Bowie's career. Bowie was the first to admit that Tonight was safe since EMI wanted another Let's Dance. Had Let's Dance performed closer to Scary Monsters numbers (which was alright for Bowie's standards but not a stadium-filling hit-laden smash), would he have treaded so lightly with the followup or would Tonight have had more effort behind it not being the followup to one of the biggest albums of the previous year?

e.s. likes this.
  8. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

For me it's a great dance-rock album (9/10). Critics hated it because it doesn't have the experimental edge of the Bowie from the 1970s. Example: instead of new electronic/krautrock from the likes of "Blackout" he delivers dance-rock anthems like "Tumble And Twirl"). That and the horns. Ah, and the reggae songs like the title track (which is not that bad; it's actually very relaxing).

It has a nice dose of melody. Sure, songs like "Neighborhood Threat" can sound like ordinary arena-rock, but this song, for example, has an awesome prominent beat, the melody is mysterious and there is great interplay with the other chorus voices.

"Tumble And Twirl" has great verses; just listen to those long verses while the funk guitar fills the space in the background (and that slap bass!). I also love those "borneo" chorus voices and the instrumental break with the horns.

"Dancing with the Big Boys" is actually a very complex melodic disco exercise. And has an interesting dark and "perverted" vibe (the lyrics are great). Like any Bowie electronic disco would sound.

"Don't Look Down" is a great relaxing reggae song, "I keep forgetting" is good rock 'n' roll and has a great baritone tone from Bowie, and so on...

I also love the epic and lyric Loving the Alien (that marimba riff and main harmonic ensemble).

Don't be afraid of Bowie doing pop-rock :righton:

9. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Blue Jean felt like the old Bowie magic, but the rest just doesn't cut it for me. This album marks where the real slide begins, imo.

e.s. and Haristar like this.
  10. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I voted so-so but I think it's got one of the best covers (1. Hunky Dory. 2. LOW then this one).

11. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I much prefer Tonight and Never Let Me Down over Earthling and Hours. :hide:

davers and antonkk like this.
  12. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Where else does Bowie play bongos!?

[​IMG]

13. This sounds nothing like Low! ;)

Haristar likes this.
  14. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

.....with a mustache.....and Tina.

[​IMG]

davers and PaperbackBroadstreet like this.
  15. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

16. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

17. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Haristar likes this.
  18. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

It IS a 12" single then, with bonus tracks. See? Simple!

nedison and Pennywise like this.
  19. Klassik

Ah yes..Victory...the album that Thriller could have been. *sighs*

20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

"Damnit, I just know these 80s fashions will come back to haunt me!"

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Michael's Be Not Always was the real knee to the groin of that album. I'm still convinced he gave the worst song he could find for the Victory LP...

Klassik likes this.
  22. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Oh man...The "Blue Jean" long video would have a couple of friends and I laughing for HOURS. We'd loop a certain scene on the DVD player and just die laughing. :)

23. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

We'll talk about 2000 and 2010s fashion in years to come :eek: I see people wear awful stuff!

24. Klassik

You do realise that somewhere there are not only people for whom Victory is the greatest album ever made but people for whom Be Not Always is the greatest song ever written. Perhaps someday one of them will build a publishing empire and eventually everyone will realise courtesy of being told over and over again, that THEY'RE RIGHT!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. Klassik

I'm quite prepared to talk TODAY of the 2010s as being 'the decade of don't even go there' :p

oldturkey and Dodoz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.