Was Oasis the biggest band in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was Oasis the "biggest band in the world" during the Mid 90s? Noel Gallagher often says this in interviews. Someone here pointed out that the band was a support act for U2 outside of the UK, so the claim cannot be true. Oasis also never really made it in the US.

So was Oasis only massive in the UK at the time, or were they a worldwide phenomena who deserved the title 'biggest band in the world' ?

2. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

They were never I repeat never the biggest band in the world. In their heads only.

3. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Maybe for three weeks in 1995.

4. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Nope.

Sean, polchik, kiddo4 and 19 others like this.
  5. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Never were. Never. Not for a minute did they dethrone U2, for starters (as someone already mentioned) ... not even considering bands like Radiohead ... the Stones have been bigger since the 60s.

They weren't even the biggest band in the U.K.!

6. No. They were the biggest band in the Gallaghers heads.

7. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

In their own heads, Never. The Beatles sold more in 94/95 and 2000 than Oasis.

Sean, Hombre, saborlord123 and 16 others like this.
  8. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

No, the U.K. is not the world.

9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

More like three hours.....

saborlord123, dzjc, BigELOFan and 5 others like this.
  10. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

No, no, and no.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  11. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Blur single outsold theirs, he-he. But even without this fact - nnnope.

12. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yeah, for a couple of years they were huge here. Be Here Now took the edge off that and they never really recovered.

13. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

No. I would say during that time U2 probably was. As far as touring, I believe Pink Floyd was one of the highest grossing tours in 94. I could be wrong

theMess and WildHoneyPie9 like this.
  14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Who?

Were'nt they a Beatles copy band??

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Duke Ellington's band had a lot more people in it

16. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

They were never that big in the US and--at the risk of sounding off-putting to some--you can't be the biggest band in the world without being at least one of the biggest bands in the US.
    That said, I liked them in the beginning and they could have been huge if they spent more time and effort on their albums and hadn't been major a**holes. There's nothing wrong with being an a**hole in the music business but when your antics overshadow the music itself before you have earned a major following and lots of goodwill, you have problems.

17. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

In Manchester.

Oasis' hype was incredibly successful. Even more than their records.
    The biggest band in the world turned out to be The Beatles and there was some synergy between the two bands involved in this mid-90's spike.
    As I recall, Oasis started to become a 'who actually are they?' item to the general populus (NME single of week buyers notwithstanding as they were already in) on a poster of Liam and Noel holding the Red and Blue albums which had just come out on CD. I think it was an ad for Select magazine at a time when all of the music monthlies were selling hugely and were flyposting heavily everywhere.
    That established a link between the two bands and I'm reasonably certain every Oasis fan bought into Beatles Anthology as a result.
    In some ways, a temporary Beatles energy was added to their own success but as McCartney has said since, he felt they blew it when they started claiming they were 'bigger than the beatles' (at which point they were also denounced by George Harrison) and after that their journey to becoming 'a defunct manchester band like all the other legends was assured.

I loved their trouncing of Blur though and at that point briefly bought in when they put out a poster answering Blur's 'Oasis Quo' swipe with 'Rockin All Over The World'

Hmmm...don't remember buying their records though.
    I was more of a Kula Shaker man.

:p

18. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I don't know about he world, and I don't care about that. But they were the biggest band in the U.K. for quite a while.

Always a favourite with me.

19. Changingman

Changingman Forum Resident

They were the biggest band in the UK between 1994 and 1997.

20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Not that there's an actual barometer for measuring such things, but every fiber of my being screams "No."
    Even if you use record sales as an indicator, I think you'll find they fall short of the mark.

Vinyl_Blues and WildHoneyPie9 like this.
  21. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Multiple top 10 albums in the US isn't making it?

First album sold over 15 million outside the UK. Second album sold 22 million outside the UK.

22. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Biggest band in the world? Yer `avin` a laugh. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:They weren`t the biggest band in their own bog (toilet for you Colonials). :laughup::edthumbs::laughup:

23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, Oasis sold enough in the US to make the Top Ten more than once. But that still doesn't make them one of the biggest bands in the world. And the '90's were weird. Spin Doctors, Blues Traveller, Hootie and the Blowfish--all sold in the millions.
    And along with Oasis, their CD's all ended up in the mark-down bins with a hole punched in the corner....

24. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Of those bands, if Oasis announced a U.K. stadium tour tomorrow, the tickets would sell out in minutes.

Yes, they are still a big deal.

25. pez

pez Forum Resident

Cocaine may have helped to create this delusional idea. They werent even as big as Blur!

Nirvana.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.