Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Obviously Five Guys are Believers.

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Has it been remarked that "Just Like A Woman" on the Newcastle set was introduced as "Hamlet Revisited" (I assume yes) ? I don't think it's hugely significant, but it is a fun little quirky moment. I'm not completely against interpreting the song under the prism of Hamlet.

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are only two female characters in the play and Hamlet gives them both a fervent tongue-lashing, as well he should. Assuming that the singer is Hamlet, which one is he singing to, his mother the Queen, or young Ophelia in love with him? before or after she goes mad?

4. Richard--W

Regarding Masonic Temple, S. F. -- When you say the harp solos rival Sheffield, do you mean Sheffield '65 or Sheffield '66 ? Me thinks you mean '66 but I just want to be sure.

What a shame he dropped Long Distance Operator and Positively 4th Street from the set-list. There is no line recording in excellent quality of either song as performed live.

RandPink likes this.
  5. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

I see the concert was at 8.30. I'm happy to know that he arrived in good time.

goer, notesfrom and NumberEight like this.
  6. Richard--W

Bob Dylan is always on time even when his time is out of mind.

7. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

Even a broken Bob Dylan keeps the right time twice a day.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  8. Richard--W

9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

"Searching For A Gem" home page

!!!

10. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Just got this last week from Amazon for $75. Haven't opened it yet.

Headfone likes this.
  11. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Sorry if this question has been answered -- so "Berkeley" is actually San Jose. Is the circulating full-band set a dub from Ginsberg's tape (or a dub of a dub of a dub, etc.), or is it a different source altogether? There might not be a way to easily tell, I suppose. :)

12. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

It's not a different source altogether.

13. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

I meant '66. There was a fair bit of emotion listening to SF just out of the blue like that, so I may have been a little excited when writing that...definitely a great last harp solo on SF Tam Man but I don't think anything can really, actually rival Sheffield '66.

14. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

15. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Random note-

I stumbled on a May 14, 1966 Ornette Coleman recording from Manchester Free Trade Hall. 3 days before the Dylan "Judas" show. The OC show was apparantly some sort of FM broadcast. I sampled it, and I believe I can hear the same acoustics as the Dylan show. Pretty cool. I'm sure there are other notable recordings from the same venues/same week as this tour - but I've never noticed.

16. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

So presumably, back in 1970/71 we could have worked out that the bootleg wasn't really recorded at the Albert Hall...

asdf35 likes this.
  17. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Maybe, if the Coleman recording was well known - perhaps someone could've pleaded the case that the sound of music bouncing off wood sounds similar....kind of a stretch, yet totally appropriate in the Dylan mythos.

18. Tom Schreck

For those following the saga of the Ginsberg tapes, rumor has it that they're circulating online as of a few hours ago. I can neither confirm nor deny. Also, I'm assuming that I'm not breaking any rules by bringing this up -- if I am, I apologize and this can be taken down.

revolution_vanderbilt and subtr like this.
  19. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Great couple of days for us Dylan fans - @kuddukan started this thread recently. Not an amazing performance, but one that I hope turns up in a more complete form and will be of interest to just about everyone on this thread:

Bob Dylan "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts" 1976 Live Audio Clip?

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. Tom Schreck

Integrating the newly-circulating 1965 material into my Dylan iTunes playlist and figured I should tighten up a few other things. Can anyone tell me what got mislabeled in the Live 1966 box and what I should swap, label-wise? I tried looking earlier in this thread but got confused!

21. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

From memory it's Like A Rolling Stone from Newcastle and Cardiff that need to be swapped over - someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I think that's the only change to make.

I have a huge collection of all the bits circulating that were missed out, and a few better audience sources too, if anyone knows where I can find 4GB of hosting space or so.

22. Feat21

Feat21 Forum Resident

That "swapping out this song or that song" nonsense is not canon. The '66 box set is the source. I think they know the dates.

23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Did you see the posts that originally made this argument? Very persuasive (at least to me) evidence was presented. I'd link to it, but this thread is incredible long and I don't have the links handy right now. Anyone?

In short, it wasn't just some guy saying "my ears tell me this is wrong!"

Electric Sydney likes this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Frankly, based on the tape boxes we've seen, I'm surprised there hasn't seemed to have been more mix-ups.

asdf35 likes this.
  25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That's a steal.