EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't think the lyrics suggest he abused her in any way.

I always thought of his wife dying of some kind of terminal illness like cancer or something. Even so, I still think the lyrics were corny, and I can't stand the vocal delivery.

sunspot42 and Dawg In Control like this.
  2. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did, too! I never thought of suicide, but now I see where that leap could be made with the line "Caught her crying needlessly, in the middle of the day", was she crying from depression, or because she just found out she was dying?

sunspot42 and Grant like this.
  3. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

That's what I always thought, too. The suicide angle never occured to me and I always had the impression she found out she was dying.

4. Grant

The depression angle works too. Like "Seasons In The Sun" (which we will get to in a couple of years), there is no mention of exactly what the deal is.

5. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I gotta join with those that think "Honey" is, well, hard to listen to these days. I was 9 when this was popular, and I don't remember hating it then, but it's a stinker to me now.

"Watching Scotty Grow" is sappy as well, but I appreciated it when my parents named the baby they had in 1972 'Scott.' And I thought of it fondly when my son, born in 1997, was growing up. It's the anti-"Cat's In The Cradle."

JcS

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Grant

It's better than "W.O.L.D."! :D

7. alphanguy

Honey just never moved me... but even to this day, "Butterfly for Bucky" always makes me sob.

8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Blindness seems to be a theme here.

Besides this and Molly, did Goldsboro do any more songs referencing blindness or the blind?

If we must focus on blindness, I've always liked this one from 1967:

9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Is that the one that goes "W-O-L-D-D-D-D" or something? Radio station call letters with an echo? Seems like I remember something like that...

10. John54

John54 Senior Member

Almost certainly you have the right one.

11. John54

John54 Senior Member

Booooooo!!

That's worse than Honey!

Hey Vinyl Man and Manapua like this.
  12. alphanguy

I thought so, too..... but it isn't, really. But you'll find out why when we get to it.

13. alphanguy

Next, we have "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell and the Drells, #1 from May 18 - May 31, 1968

sunspot42, Grant and Damiano54 like this.
  14. John54

John54 Senior Member

Tighten Up is something of a return to form for the number ones ... pretty good song.

15. Grant

What I find bizarre are the young people dancing and swaying to the song.

Many of us may not like Bobby Goldsboro (and Mac Davis) brand of songs, but I guess there has to be something for people who like white-bread, safe as milk and cookies music.:shrug:

16. Grant

Ah yeah! Tighten it up for now drummer! Wooo! Tighten it up for me! Now, let that bass fall in! Let that guitar fall in. Tighten it up, now!

I definately remember this classic!

The mono single mix, again, is the only real way to hear this.

Archie Bell & the Drells recorded this song right before Archie got sent overseas. He was delighted to find that their record went to #1. When he got back, they picked right back up where they left off and released a string of fine R&B hits through the late 70s.

17. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I always thought she was crying as a result of the car accident.

I never cared much for "Tighten Up," but there's no denying it's got a good beat and you can dance to it.

18. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I like it. And this other recipe song, by King Curtis - Memphis Soul Stew. It's looser.

King Curtis - Memphis Soul Stew

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Dock of the Bay

One of the truly iconic songs of the sixties, I can never listen to it without being struck by the tragedy that Otis worked on it so soon before his untimely death in a plane crash. The song is haunting not just because the song itself is a wistful self-examination of his life, inspired by a lazy day in San Francisco, but also because it seemed to signal a promising change in the entire direction of his career. We'll never know if he would have just gone back to doing the kind of soul scorchers for which he was known, or if he was about to expand his formidable talents in exciting new ways. What a loss to the music world!

The song itself is lovely and heartfelt, but it suffers from being one of the ten most overplayed oldies in history. I have literally heard it all or in part close to a thousand times, and find it difficult to react to it the way I once did.

Still, I'm a big fan of this potential new Otis, just as I'm a big fan of Otis as he was before that. His old stuff was always a bit less well known to the general public (he was a huge star in the black world), so when I need a Redding fix, I will most likely choose a slow burner like I've Been Loving You Too Long, or a wonderful cover like Try a Little Tenderness, or a blistering scorcher like Can't Turn You Loose.

A song of his I love that I think is a precursor in a way to Dock is the oddly titled Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa (Sad Song). Man, could Otis move you in a million different ways. I love the way he carries on a conversation with the horn players in this number: 'your turn!' I only wish I could find the great video for this; it seems to have disappeared from YouTube. RIP, Otis!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    sunspot42, John22 and Paulwalrus like this.
  20. AppleBonker

Heartbreaking. December 9, 1967: Otis performs on a local Cleveland television show with Mitch Ryder. The next day he would be dead. This was his last performance.

21. AppleBonker

I normally try to listen to all the songs that get posted here, but all of these Bobby Goldsboro songs have challenged my resolve. I think after the Japanese one I just kind of threw in the towel... :cool:

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. AppleBonker

Yup. I recall the lyrics as...

I am the morning DJ
    on W-O-L-D- (d-d-d-d-d-d)
    Playing all the hits for you
    Wherever you may be...

I guess the point is he's old and a DJ.

And this was from memory, so feel free to do the google search I didn't do to prove me wrong. :)

23. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Tighten Up is fantastic, a great single and a breath of fresh air after a month of Honey. It's fun and ridiculous and of course, was skewered by others (although lovingly, I assume).

sunspot42 and Manapua like this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Here's his best single

alphanguy likes this.
  25. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

Hard to say a single that lasts just over 3 minutes is a minute too long, but this one is. Sounds like a filler track for an album, not a number one hit single.

It reminds me of "Dance To The Music" by Sly And The Family Stone, but I much prefer Sly's song, released a few months earlier.

JcS

SomeCallMeTim likes this.