Their Satanic Majesties Request Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Jayce I'm a big fan of Between the Buttons but to my ears "Dandelion is more overtly psych than anything on Buttons , that's why it fits better musically on Satanic. As far as it being too shimmery, and happy, there isn't anything dark about "Sing This All Together ", "She's a Rainbow", or "On With the Show, either .

Your thoughts on lyrics are .. well...well thought out. :D

I must apologize here because I am totally a music/ sound guy so I don't need songs to fit lyrically theme- wise but can understand if it's important to you and others here.

I need "We Love You", "Child of the Moon" and "Dandelion"on Satanic because it's an album I play often and I love these songs and don't want them to be orphans, without a loving home. :D

In other words, they might not be a perfect placement on Satanic but otherwise they have nowhere specific to go . I don't want to relegate them to an occasional rarities listening night .:p

GetRhythm, I don't supplant anything, I enhance by adding .:laugh:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like that term "shambling ethno-jamboree", which strikes me as being very accurate! However I like the song too.

Like many others I think (See What Happens) is the weakest track on the LP, and I generally skip it. As for putting Dandelion and We Love You in its place, I tend to take things at face value and not worry about whether songs "fit". Dandelion is high up in my top 10 Stones. I used to like We Love You when it was current but it lost something over the years. Nothing wrong with having a go at authority when necessary, but that doesn't make a great song; if I wanted to play just one I'd probably go with something like The Headmaster Ritual by the Smiths ...

3. Glenn Christense

Ah, I could care less about the "We Love " anti authority stance at this point . I love the off the hook arrangement, the Beatles assisted backing harmonies, Charlie's wild drumming, the insistent piano part, the out of control Mellotron by Brian and ... everything else about it . :D

"We Love You" and "Have You Seen Your Mother,Baby, Standing in the Shadow " win the much coveted Glenn Lifetime Achievement awards for the two Stones tracks that sound the most out of control, unapologetic, nuts, threatening to fall off the rails tracks in their catalog... and I totally respect that.:laugh:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing in the Shadows is also high up in my top 10 Stones, and it's the one that has grown on me the most over the past couple of years ...

Glenn Christense likes this.
  5. Glenn Christense

I'm sorry I hadn't completed my post when you responded .
    I post from my phone and accidentally press "Post Reply" too soon sometimes. :D

I'm glad you appreciate "Mother" now though!

John54 likes this.
  6. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Love the Stones Love.

7. sami

sami Mono still rules

Excellent post - completely agree.

Maybe it's only me, but I don't get all the "re-imagining" of classic records. I just don't. Are many of them flawed in some way? Sure they are, but even that is a subjective matter, with one person's 'flaw' being the other person's favorite song on the record. And part of the beauty of record collecting are the classic singles, and finding those B-side gems.

"Child of the Moon" and "We Love You", to me, are perfect right where they are, the same way as "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" and "Jiving Sister Fanny". Sticking them in the middle of albums and making them ordinary album tracks takes away some of their magic, IMO. I hate to bring the Beatles up, but I feel the same way about sticking "Paperback Writer" and "Rain" on Revolver.

That's what comps are for. Let classic records be what they are, flaws and all, and leave those glorious 'hidden' gems alone! Okay, rant over. :)

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Why were cdrs and burners created then?:uhhuh::D

9. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

yes, and in the case of We Love You it was created as a singular statement and thank god for that, it would have had less impact as just another album track, it is what it is, and what it is ...is a beautiful single..both a and b side.

ParloFax and sami like this.
  10. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

Agreed, "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)" is essentially that, let's see what happens. It's a meandering 7+ minutes, although it somehow comes together nicely at the end. Even so, I wouldn't think of removing it. For better or worse it's part of the experience. I've found that if I start removing songs I don't like (e.g., the White Album), the overall album-ness evaporates.

Whenever I hear the lead-off "Sing This All Together," it reminds me of "All Around You (Intro)" off Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request by The Brian Jonestown Massacre. Clearly intentional, and pretty much perfect. (Sorry if this was mentioned previously.)

Shawn likes this.
  11. sami

sami Mono still rules

Like I said, that's what comps are for. But everyone wants to revise history, to change something that was created, for better or worse, under the circumstances of the time.

It is pretty much universally accepted that TSMR is in many ways a rambling mess, made by a band that was without direction for the first tune, not to mention 'chemically enhanced'. The fact that it was even produced is a minor miracle, and to me is part of what makes it so special. I wouldn't change a note, or a snore. :D

12. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

There is this invention called the CD. Never again will you have to get up and flip a record over. The next song just starts automatically. You should try it sometime.

Purple Jim likes this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The CD still has one or two seconds of silence till the second half is coming though.

Aftermath and Rne like this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

You could provide your own snoring during the silence. :D

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

And you can program pause tracks to make the silence last longer (see track 17):
    [​IMG]

16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

She's A Rainbow:

And now we begin Side Two with easily the most famous song in this record, She's a Rainbow.
    The album version starts with a man at a station calling a time or something to that effect before a whistle is blown at :22 and Nicky's fantastic piano starts the song off at :24, accompanied by strings arranged by... holy s*** it's John Paul Jones. Wait, Mr. No Quarter himself? Indeed it is. At :36 there's maracas and then Brian's Mellotron comes in at :40, and I gotta say I love Charlie's drumming on this song, along with Mick's vocals and colorful lyrics, ooh let's talk about Nicky's piano, so beautiful, light as a feather, keeps the upbeat quality of this track, does such a fantastic job with the melody and really lifting this track to another level. And I really enjoy the way Brian uses the Mellotron to play the horn line of sorts on this track.
    This is such a fantastic song, a great structure, standout performances from Brian, Charlie, and especially Nicky mothaf***in' Hopkins, a man so awesome I am required to pronounce his name Sam Jackson style. On a scale of one to ten, I give it Nicky mothaf***in' Hopkins on the mothaf***in' piano.

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

"She's A Rainbow" was the first song from the album that I heard (through the London Years box set, the old big one, a looooong time ago), and I immediately fell in love with it. How not to love that beautiful piano by the always amazing Hopkins? How not to love the delicate string arrangements by John Paul Jones? How not to love Brian's Mellotron? How not to love that chaotic ending (which segues in the most perfec way into the song we're going to talk about tomorrow)? etc. etc. This track a true gem from the beginning to the end, and proves (and not for the first time in the album) that in spite of the circumstances in which the record was made, the band was absolutely focused.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Kinda cheesy for Stones fans who prefer the more bluesy and straight forward rock sound of Mick and the boys. Guess that reminds me a bit on 'Ruby Tuesday' which is also unique in its arrangements.
    But it's a beautiful track, espeecially thanks to Nicky Hopkins' piano skills. First time I heard 'Rainbow' was on Forty Licks.
    At that point I didn't know they made a full length psychedelic album, soundwise this made more sense to me when I found out.^^

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

A MASTERPIECE

20. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Speaking of flipping the record over, that carnival barker guy is way too loud for me. They could have toned him down somewhat.

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

A perfect celebration of the influx of color from Morocco and India during the summer of love!

[​IMG]

22. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I agree John. I also made myself a cdr of Satanic which includes Dandelion, Child Of The Moon and We Love You. Makes for a fun listen for me. I'm not suggesting it replace the official release. Just for personal enjoyment.

23. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I first heard "She's a Rainbow" on a radio show where people would call and request songs. I was blown away!
    Great song, great melody, great arrangement. 65 to 68 is really my favourite era.
    This song has become super popular now because it has been used in commercials, but it was still quite obscure when I first heard it.

There's a flaw on the tape on some CD versions (on the first "she comes in colours eVERYwhere"). Funnily enough, it's the source they have used in a commercial that used the song.

Johnny Echols said the Stones came to see Love play and might have borrowed some ideas...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Speaking of Dandelion; here's Keith's demo:

Aftermath and RayS like this.
  25. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

And the studio recording; sorry purists, I like the stereo versions.

Can you hear Beatle Paul singing at the end? Beatle John is supposedly singing too, but Paul's voice is very clear to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.