Music Direct / USPS - Anyone Else Experience Delays ?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Myke, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

Okay, I'm frustrated. I've been buying from Music Direct for quite a while now, but have never seen such a delay in shipping before.
    Saturday 7/29 - I ordered 2 albums, one a pre order, both priced great, + 20% off + free shipping (Media Mail).
    Monday 7/31 - I expected the available album would be shipped, as I chose the Ship As Available option. Nothing. That night I sent an e mail asking what the status was.
    Tuesday 8/1 - I received a shipping notice, with a USPS Media Mail tracking number. No movement.
    Wednesday 8/2 - I sent a second e mail to a specific name in customer service. Her response was to say the Chicago USPS was very unreliable, and to give it a few days ?

Now I realize that another member of the forum recently posted that the service of the Chicago arm of the USPS did leave a lot to be desired lately, so I'm curious to see if there are more than just two of us out there ?

Status has been at the Pre Shipment stage, Waiting For Item, since early Tuesday morning.

2. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Over the last week I've noticed a number of packages I have in the hands of USPS (both coming and going) are not getting timely tracking updates. I wouldn't worry about it.

Myke likes this.
  3. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

Same here including one from Music Direct.

Myke likes this.
  4. Myke

Well, I Googled to see if there were more of us, and I found screenshots from 2014, where it jumped from waiting on the physical package, to days later, in the city it was intended to be in.

Also, having the same deal with an Import CDs order that is Priority. :shrug:

5. Myke

Yep, the Priority is here in town now, with no scans in between, inc. being accepted. :wtf: thx for the responses btw.

6. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

My Music Direct order arrived today. Tracking still shows it at "Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item."
    :wtf: indeed!

Myke likes this.
  7. Myke

Really weird :

August 3rd, 6:43pm Accepted in Chicago
    August 3rd, 7:58pm Pittsburgh ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Are you allowed to listen when the tracking is not complete? ;)

My order is near Three Rivers Stadium as well. I saved a bit of cash by selecting the free shipping option so I will wait for my "notice of arrival" email from the mail outlet I use in the USA.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Gene Parmesan likes this.
  9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I've had problems with Media Mail of late. Apparently USPS has been consolidating hubs (i.e. closing some) and has changed some of the nomenclature and terminology on the tracking updates themselves. Up until about July 20 I would receive Media Mail packages almost as quickly as First Class - like maybe 1 or 2 days slower, and in some cases even just as fast. Then all of a sudden it took nearly 2 weeks, with the package going through 3 hubs instead of one, and sitting at one of the hubs for 5 days and another for 3 before finally being delivered.

So I think something has changed recently.

Myke likes this.
  10. Myke

Agreed. I of course noticed the change in terminology, and have wondered why it has to be "sorted" so many times, in so many different parts of the country. Especially frustrating when there are First Class, and Priority purchases made after the Media Mail buys, and arrive a week to 10 days sooner.

You get what you pay for seems more than evident these days.

tmtomh likes this.
  11. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

And not only that, but for just one or two CDs, what you pay for Media Mail is virtually the same as what you pay for First Class. Priority, though, is indeed pricier.

Myke likes this.
  12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Interesting tidbit: Placed an order from Elusive Disc on Friday, and I chose their least-expensive shipping method even though it was USPS Media Mail. I got a shipping notification and tracking number almost right away, and when I checked the tracking, it turned out they'd sent it First Class rather than Media Mail. And I received it today.

Don't order often from them, so I don't know if they've been doing this for a long time, or if it's a recent thing in response, perhaps, to customer complaints about MM shipping delays.

13. Myke

I've experienced the same thing with them over the last two years, or so.

My Music Direct buy is going on 10 days now. It's slowly moving closer, and closer to me.

Mooserfan and tmtomh like this.
  14. Myke

Maybe 11 days ? Tomorrow ? Tracking showed it leaving Memphis, headed for Nashville yesterday morning.
    Today I wake up to showing the same, except 24 hours later ?!?!?!
    Doesn't even make sense when you look at it. As if it doubled back.
    I'm tempted to cancel the other 3 albums, as they are all going to be Media Mail as well. I'd lose my 20% discount, but it may be worth it, to not have to go through this 3 more times.

15. Myke

11 days. Ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.