FLAC support in iOS 11 - FINALLY

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MrRom92, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I say if Apple sells hi rez, it will be Apple lossless format. I think the flac thing is just to make the player more versatile.

2. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Very true, it would yes. As of now, there the public beta of HS does not have a new iTunes. I don't think Apple mentioned a new version of it at the WWDC in May. Although there most likely will be a new version with the new OS.

Fingers crossed that a new iTunes will yield what we all want.

MrRom92 likes this.
  3. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

I use the Onkyo app on my iPhone and iPad when traveling. FLAC files play just fine...

4. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I rely too much on iTunes smart playlists, ratings, last played, play counts, etc. to use a 3rd party app. FLAC integration to iTunes/Music app would be a welcome addition if just to avoid having to convert things to ALAC. The biggest win for me would be if multichannel flac gets supported by the AppleTV. I can listen to lossless (although downconverted to 16/48) music through the AppleTV with some contortions (using xACT to convert to multichannel ALAC and changing the extension to mp4), native multichannel flac support would be great.

jasn, Jason Manley and wbhendrix like this.
  5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel Thread Starter

Having your files sandboxed into one particular 3rd party app rather than natively integrated into the phone's music library is not an attractive option. This is why native support is such a big deal.

6. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Yep, several apps will play FLAC. The only thing new is the Files app that now supports it, but I still find it to be a strange thing to add this late in the game. Maybe they want the HomePod to support FLAC since it is being touted for SQ ?

7. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Well, for one thing, FLAC uses a different tagging system than MP3 and AAC. Will Apple go to the trouble of writing a FLAC tag conversion routine for iTunes?

8. Steve Martin

Probably something an intern could do over a weekend. Why do you think that would be difficult for Apple?

9. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Why in the wide wide world of sports would you rip to hi-res content and then settle for listening to it in 256?

10. Steve Martin

It is called "casual listening" (although I do it at 320kbps AAC). Plenty for the car, etc.

SBurke and sallymae_hogsby like this.
  11. Madness

I'd call it settling for an inferior product, but that's just me.

12. Steve Martin

Well, I could use my Pono in the car, but I have my iPhone there anyway for Navigation. I can't hear the difference with road noise, etc. anyway and like that it tracks play counts, etc. Plus at my age my hearing is getting pretty bad (almost gone in one ear) so telling the difference is really a moot point). Convenience wins.

SBurke, Madness and Ricardo Cosinaro like this.
  13. MrRom92

I don't know how much truth there is to is but I hear that FLAC support is now REMOVED in ios 11 beta 3 and up - can anyone confirm this? Sad if true.

14. Steve Martin

I just opened a FLAC in the Files app on my iPad that is running iOS 11b3 and it did not have any option to play it. I never tried with earlier versions, but I'm pretty sure that is where the ability was, right?

MrRom92 likes this.
  15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Maybe they moved it to iTunes!?!?

16. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

lossless - flac......same????? no???

larger better sounding lossless formats.

why the fuss?

17. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

To save space?

SBurke likes this.
  18. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

FLAC has been computationally more intensive to decode than ALAC - this is the primary reason Apple haven't previously supported it and went with their own format. But CPUs for recent mobile devices are considerably more powerful, battery management has improved, and I wouldn't be surprised if people have improved implementations of the FLAC decoding algorithm.

19. Madness

Storage space shouldn't be a consideration these days, but space on a DAP might be. Still, if one is going to pay for a decent DAP that supports hi-res content, stick with hi-res content...your ears will thank you :)

Rolltide likes this.
  20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

For me personally, there aren't many times I'm using a DAP where I'm in much of a position to critically listen for differences between lossless and say 320K. But I still agree there really isn't any reason to bother with lossy compression. It creates a sort of tedious process by which you have your "main library" and your lossy files. I know lossy might still be attractive for people who are looking to put their entire music library on a DAP and can't do this with lossless, but IMO streaming services check that particular box these days.

21. MrRom92

I think so. It was definitely in the Files app but haven't tried any of the betas this time around so I can't say for sure what the exact procedure was. This is a worrying turn of events though :sigh:

22. Eyewire

Eyewire Forum Resident

If you use an iPhone or iPod, there's no need to keep separate lossless and lossy versions of the same songs in your iTunes library. iTunes will automatically create lossy files on-the-fly when syncing to an iDevice. The lossless files in your computer's iTunes library will be untouched throughout this whole process.

Rolltide likes this.
  23. Steve Martin

My music library on my MacBook Pro (@320kbps) is about 1 Tb. Space is a consideration on laptops. I have a lossless version of the library on a server with a 10Tb hard drive.

24. Steve Martin

Probably some intern working on the Files app put it in there and when management found out, they nixed it since Apple doesn't support flac on any of their devices.

Not worrisome, just status quo. The rumors that iTunes was going to support flac, etc. were unfounded.

MrRom92 and Rolltide like this.
  25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, that is a nice feature I've taken advantage of over the years. Probably the most compelling reason to use software to sync a DAP vs. copying at the file system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.