Ronnie James Dio in Black Sabbath

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Hilarious!
    Considering the state Ozzy was reported to be in there was a lot of room for doubt.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
    BluesOvertookMe and dkmonroe like this.
  2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Well, before Rhoads, reports were that Ozzy would be teaming up with Gary Moore, so I guess I never expected Ozzy to do as you did.

As an aside, Ozzy formed a band circa 1976/1977, and the guitarist was another whiz player (but more jazzy), Baz Dunnery from Necromandus. I didn't know about this until more recent years, but I don't think Ozzy was ever one to think he was going to leave from a band with Tony Iommi and not be ready for school.

Paulette, hi_watt and Efus like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Sorry, I wasn't that tuned-in. All I knew was that Ozzy was booted for being a hopeless waste case, so I wasn't expecting much. I don't think that Ozzy and Gary Moore would have necessarily set the world on fire either - just having a good guitar player isn't a guarantee of success. Things have to come into place, and it's undeniable that things came into place remarkably well.

jay.dee and GodShifter like this.
  4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Well as great as he was, Gary Moore wouldn't really have worked as well either. I personally love his hard rock stuff, but he didn't have the writing ability that Randy had. I mean 'Rockin' Every Night' and 'Nuclear Attack'...awesome as they are they are no 'Crazy Train' or 'Over the Mountain' in the riff department. And then Diary of a Madman..forget it. Moore never would have come up with something like that. Plus let's face it, Gary Moore was not a good looking guy, and Randy Rhoads was.

Efus, jay.dee, Doggiedogma and 2 others like this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Randy Rhoads was the second coming of Mick Ronson, but about x1000 times more talented.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  6. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

We'll never know. Ozzy also stated that Gary Moore was "too good for him" and he wanted to find a different type of player and do something that would get back to basics. Maybe with Rhoads he was able to do that on some level, but Rhoads was a very technical player. Maybe Ozzy just changed his mind...?

I personally doubt that Gary Moore and Ozzy would have come up with as strong of material, but we can't know. Also I think it's interesting to keep in mind that Heaven And Hell got released, and there can be no question that Blizzard Of Ozz was influenced by it. I don't think it was out when Ozzy was working with Gary Moore, but even if it had been I agree that Ozzy and Randy was almost written in the stars. Dio and Iommi the same.

7. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I wasn't even an Ozzy fan, and yet I heard lots of my friends (musicians and non-musicians alike) talking up what an incredible player Rhoads was. There's no doubt that he was a big part of the attraction at that time, both in record sales and in concert attendance. Absolutely no doubt whatsoever. I wouldn't be able to put a percentage on it (not that anybody could, anyway), but Randy was a big part of the interest in Ozzy's solo career in the early going.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I've loved the first two Dio Sabbath albums since High School. It seems I got into both Ozzy-era Sabbath, Dio-era Sabbath and DIO (band) all around the same time. I got into the Dio-era Rainbow albums a bit later.

BluesOvertookMe, Efus and danielbravo like this.
  9. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

A. Ian Gillian
    B. Ian Gilligan
    C. Ian Gollum

PJayBe likes this.
  10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I realize people were enamored with Randy Rhoads'
    guitar style, but sorry... did he do musical arrangements? Scoring? Producing? Play anything but guitar? Then he was no Mick Ronson.

moodyxadi, CBackley and stax o' wax like this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, I'm pretty certain he did do arrangements and was capable of doing scoring. He was a very capable, trained musician, probably a lot more so than a lot of heavy metal guitarists. Dying in a plane crash does sort of limit your options though.

12. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

i was at the cross purposes tour, i think at aragon ballroom, Martin is a great singer. Morbid angel opened???? I think, i was pretty ripped by the end of the opening act, so sabbath could have actually sucked, but from what i remember, the show was amazing and tight.
    Martin is a great vocalist ! respect due.
    sometimes a voice, just don't fit the band. Martins did !

seventh star is Iommi's beast, isn't it?
    either way, like Motorhead, there is not much from Sabbath i don't like.

give em a listen, you may find hidden gems !

I buy off the wall stuff, sometimes i hit pay dirt, sometimes i give em to friends.

either way DIO was an absolute amazing songwriter/lyricist.

Curveboy likes this.
  13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Ronnie also sang over Tony's greatest riff, Voodoo...

BluesOvertookMe and Doggiedogma like this.
  14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Both killer...and both better than Ozzy.

Carserguev likes this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No, as @dkmonroe points out he didn't have the opportunity. I just talking from a purely guitar playing standpoint. I'm sure he could have.

Man, I sound like a huge Rhoads fanboy and I'm really not. He wouldn't even crack my top 20 guitar heroes. Iommi would though. Eddie Van Halen would too.

BluesOvertookMe, jon9091 and dkmonroe like this.
  16. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Randy's guitar playing mos def put Ozzy and these albums over in a big way. Randy was a guitar god even then and people were talking about him as much Ozzy (who was getting press mostly for being crazy). When the news that Randy died hit, fans and the public were shattered (as was Ozzy - he shaved his head bald).

17. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Yeah, the one thing that pisses me of about Ronnie was his annoying way of singing over the guitar solo (coincidental I'm sure).

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yes, I realize he life was cut tragically short. Ronson was one of his influences though, and he often gets overlooked for how much he actually did in his career.

GodShifter and dkmonroe like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

My understanding was that Ozzy was searching for guys after Rhoads died in the plane crash and Gary Moore was one of the guitarists considered. Moore declined. Again, not to sound like a Rhoads fanboy, but Rhoads' talent level was so high Ozzy's management was having trouble finding veteran players that were comparable in terms of ability. I believe he checked in with Michael Schenker but he wanted too much money. He finally settled on Bernie Tormé to finish up the tour dates. I believe Brad Gillis came in after Tormé (I might have the sequence wrong there). I think Mike Varney finally suggested Jakie Lou Williams as a replacement.

dkmonroe likes this.
  20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

No, this was the second time. Ozzy and Gary Moore were going to work together before Rhoads ever came into the picture but it fell through.

I don't know about old school guys but it seems to me there was no shortage of guys who could copy Rhoads as the years progressed and Ozzy had different guys come in. His leads were based to a fairly high degree on patterns, so once you figure out the pattern, you're halfway home.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Oh for sure, the newer wave of guys could handle Rhoads stuff no problem (I'm in the school of thinking Jakie Lou Williams aka Jake E. Lee was an absolutely phenomenal player), but when Ozzy was looking for a veteran to finish up the tour he was running into some difficulties finding someone. I remember reading an interview where he asked one studio head or somebody like that if he knew of a good guitarist and they guy recommended Ray Gomez! Gomez is a very good player, but his style wouldn't fit Ozzy's music in the least. And that was a big problem: finding someone who could fit the bill for what Ozzy was playing. There weren't a lot of guys out there at the time of Randy's death playing the way he did.

jay.dee likes this.
  22. dmiller458

Sabbath w/ Dio; Ozzy w/ Rhoads. It couldn't have happened at a better time for them. 1980 was the breakthrough year for the NWOBHM. Not only were their careers revitalized, but metal and hard rock were too.

Between 80 and 81, those four albums sound like the touchstones for half the power and progressive metal that's come down the pike.

walrus and Curveboy like this.
  23. dmiller458

For those who weren't there, Blizzard did make Randy Rhoads a guitar god overnight. And as I've always said, the quickest way to become a legend is to die.

I've always wondered about different collaborations I'd love to hear; some of them rather oddball. For example, I always wanted to hear Eno produce Motorhead.

Ronnie James DIO and Randy Rhoads, what might have been...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
  24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I see the cliche of "well now we get twice as much music!" when bands splinter into two camps. (lately it's been about both Gallagher brothers putting out solo albums this fall) The Sabbath/Ozzy split is one of the very rare occasions when this resulted in both camps simultaneously releasing music that stood up next to their earlier work.

25. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Good point. I think the same about Van Halen and David Lee Roth after they split. The first two Van Hagar records and two albums Roth made with Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan being great records, although perhaps not quite up to the level of classic Van Halen.

danielbravo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.