Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

It'd be cool for everything to be released online but the most important releases - on CD. I would love a Trans that was before he let go Crazy Horse, before it got all electric. There are multiple versions of Tonight's the night, like 3-4 counting with the one we all know.

warewolf95, Matthew Tate and qtrules like this.
  2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

So, I guess, based on this alarmingly thorough rebuttal, that there’s not much chance of you and me finding common ground! The infrastructure and economics of music-distribution has remained stagnant since June 2009 and Neil Young is a big fickle dope?

I’m gonna have to think about that.

:laugh:

Meanwhile, my affection for Neil Young, in all his self-contradictory, faithless, bumbling zig-zagging splendor, remains unchanged.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'd take a ditch trilogy box set w/Time Fades Away, On The Beach, Tonight's The Night; and Time Fades Away II, outtakes from On The Beach (Traces, Tonight's The Night re-make, Greensleeves, etc.), original Briggs version of Tonight's The Night
    1973 Roxy
    10974 Bottom Line...if a board pro-sourced recording exists
    1975 Coastal Bars tour rehearsals
    1976 Budokan
    1977 Santa Cruz w/The Ducks
    1982 Berlin...full show
    1984 Catalyst club Santa Cruz

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

About $4.95 a year.

5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Typical skinflint New Mexican!

:wave:

6. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Hard to know what something like this would cost, I don't think any legacy artist has done anything like this,have they?

Would it be a subscripton service, you know one payment and you have access to everything or something else?

Jos79 likes this.
  7. nekronaut77

nekronaut77 Well-Known Member

Anyone else has a feeling that in a year or so it's still gonna say coming soon on the archives website. I think I am gonna have a heart atack if homegrown suddenly is available to stream tru that site in the near future!

Matthew Tate and GregK like this.
  8. Further

Further Forum Resident

At the very least, he should do a limited run on Blu-Ray for those that want it. I know my Volume 1 set would like a friend. All I need is Volume 2 and I'll be done with the series, anyway.

9. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Hopefully he will be taking a leaf out of Aphex Twin's new venture- the electronic equivalent of Neil Young in terms of prodigous output.

This would be a great way to combine some streaming and downloads for his entire catalogue.

Syscrusher and Defrance like this.
  10. For people who think streaming alone would be OK remember BD Live(not to mention Pono).Glad to see signs of life on this but even if we are not going to get the whole Volume 1 box set experience I would hope that there will be CD and possibly vinyl release of the music.
    Free The Archives!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I haven't been following Neil Young's public crusades as closely as others here, but it seems to me that they've never been about defending physical media as such, but about promoting decent sound quality. And it seems, judging by his note, that he feels streaming meets his criteria, while making the work more widely available than yet another giant box set.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  12. Jos79

Jos79 Forum Resident

This is Neil's Spotify version?

13. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

He could call it Rustify

14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Why does't Neil wait until this stuff is ready to go before he makes these announcements? What purpose does it serve to stir up wishful speculation and anticipation that more often than not remains unfullfilled, or delayed....

15. Jos79

Jos79 Forum Resident

Maybe he reads this forum and gets a lot of fun with our speculations

Matthew Tate and krlpuretone like this.
  16. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

13 Nov is available in pretty good quality, love to hear the birthday show tho'

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  17. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

More importantly is this the death of Pono? Or did he already kill Pono and I missed it?

Jos79 likes this.
  18. Further

Further Forum Resident

As I've said before, I don't think people should have to have a stable high speed connection to be able to enjoy this. For those that don't, they have to settle for a lower quality stream, which I don't think is right. Certainly not if you are paying for access to that stream.

I'm not opposed to Neil setting this Online Archive up. I'm sure it will be cool to browse through no matter what the quality of streaming is. My problem with it is if this is the ONLY option people have of accessing the Archives. It would be ridiculous to refuse to put out any physical product for those that desire it. Also, releasing it on Blu-Ray not only meets his sound quality standards but also gives those without super duper high speed a chance to hear it in all it's glory right at home, not to mention he has previously endorsed it and knows that a limited run will sell well.

There's just something about paying for online access to things that I can never own that just doesn't feel right to me. I say give the people a choice and let the people choose.

Runicen, highway, Quincy and 2 others like this.
  19. purple-lazy

purple-lazy Forum Resident

Maybe it will be a free streaming service supported by paid hi res downloads and physical media.

Jos79 likes this.
  20. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I think the Hitchhiker release bodes well on at least some of the stuff coming out on CD and vinyl. It just may take some time and he'll have us double dip when the physical media comes out. But if vinyl is on the menu, I will gladly double dip!

I was kind of hoping though for another large obnoxious box set from Neil.

21. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

With Neil's history with assorted formats and lack of long term commitment, I'd not put any of my $ into something I can't hold in my hand....Shakey=flakey, been down his road too many times and pretty much fed up with it.

22. Jos79

Jos79 Forum Resident

Yeah. I double dip too.

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Archival Neil Young material streaming 24/7, for free.

What a concept!

Rust Radio

Music=Life, Percy Song, Zeki and 4 others like this.
  24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Dead. Abandoned by Neil.

25. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

well... the investors suddenly dropping out didn't help ether.

rstamberg likes this.