Ronnie James Dio in Black Sabbath

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I've said this in VH threads, but I really do think DLR's Van Halen had creatively run its course after 1984. Eddie was definitely moving in a more melodic direction, away from the straight riff-based structure of the earlier VH records, and I don't think Dave would've been up to the task vocally. Other factors caused the split, but musically I think it was inevitable, no matter how much people wish they could've just gone on making 1984 or Fair Warning clones forever.

Eat Em & Smile and 5150 are both amazing records, but the follow-ups by both were pretty underwhelming. (Although Van Hagar got back on track with their later albums, IMO)

John Bliss, bruce2 and Holy Diver like this.
  2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Absolutely. I would also add Heaven And Hell's The Devil You Know.

Clanceman likes this.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I agree, except I do like Skyscraper for Steve Vai's guitar playing.

Synthfreek, walrus and bruce2 like this.
  4. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I think Dehumanizer is a solid album. I like the way Dio got away from the fantasy lyrics and delved into more modern topics. It was the right kind of album they could have done for the time.

5. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I agree. And I believe that Dio and Geezer worked on "Computer God" together. I seem to remember that was a concept Geezer was working on.

If you read those lyrics and consider that they are from 1992, and then consider where things are today with Artificial Intelligence and such, it's kind of mind blowing.

6. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Involuntary coffee/keyboard interface scenario.

Although I do empathise with Curvey since it's a little bit of a smelter, whatever Sabbatic bandwaggonista may suggest.

Curveboy and jon9091 like this.
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well said! The tour came through my town, and the band played a 2,400 seat theater...sold out! Gawd, that show was loud...but clear and not a bad seat in the house. Yeah, I was there :)

8. zen

zen Senior Member

Agreed.

CBackley and Clanceman like this.
  9. Pampered Menial

Pampered Menial Forum Resident

Fantastically well-rated by anyone who has a clue. I am an equal opportunity Sabboteur (that is to say, I appreciate some aspect of every era and incarnation of the band), but the Dio era is one of my favorites. Dehumanizer is a really under-represented album in their discography. It has all of the riffing prowess of Iommi coupled with the aggression/heaviness of post-Sabbath Dio (He never got really heavy until Holy Diver, which is, for me, one of his greatest musical achievements).

10. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

My all time favorite YouTube vid

jon9091 and zphage like this.
  11. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Dio, Martin, Gillan, etc, etc....all great. The 4 (counting H&H) w Dio were killer.

But you are.....dead nuts on!

BluesOvertookMe and jon9091 like this.
  12. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Just before or during the Heaven and Hell tour, I remember Eddie Trunk on the radio saying Iommi should play the Ozzy era material too, since fans may never hear Warpigs etc again. I think after 40 years of playing Warpigs etc, touring just the Mk II material was a welcomed departure for Iommi and just as deserving. To this Ozzy era Sabbath fan, I'm glad it happened.

13. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I agree. I think the whole band was happy to actually be free of the Sabbath name and just concentrate on the Dio material. It was probably such a breath of fresh air for them at the time and I certainly didn't miss hearing any Ozzy era material. I don't understand why Eddie would say that, I certainly disagreed with him.

14. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Call it what you will, but the Dio/Sabbath/Heaven & Hell albums comprise a string of excellence in metal. The production on Dehumanizer is a little too dry but the songs are fantastic.

My biggest regret is not seeing Heaven & Hell in Sunrise, FL in 2007. I lived 5 minutes from the arena. I could have just gone down the street, bought a ticket, and gone in. But we had just moved to Sunrise and I was "tired" that night so I figured I'd catch them the next time around...

:(

15. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

It's really odd, since Ozzy himself has compared their sound on that album, TE (era) to Queen (meant in a bad way)!

16. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Yeah that's about right, but maybe I'm a little kinder, but more in a way of, like, 'At least it isn't as bad as Bruce Dickinson singing Di'Anno era Maiden the last 20 years or so'. Dude puts zero effort in now. Wasn't always like that. In any case, Dio at least gave it effort.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    GodShifter likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Randy Rhoads was a legend BEFORE he died. I was there.

18. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Reading is fundamental.

19. dkmonroe

Selective editing is fundamental. Taken together, the two sentences of your post are essentially a non-sequitur, but that's your problem, not mine.

20. Timeaisis

Timeaisis Forum Resident

He's no Ozzy. Don't get me wrong, I love Heaven and Hell...and Mob Rules is ok. But they don't stand up to their first four albums in any way. Of course, they beat out the later Ozzy ones (besting Technical Ecstasy is not that hard to do). Sabbath was kind of lost in their sound at that point, anyway. Dio definitely gave them something fresh when he joined. But they did sound different.

I definitely prefer Ozzy's solo work to Dio Sabbath.

21. dmiller458

Did I say that the only way to become a legend is to die or did I say it was the quickest way? Once again, reading is fundamental. When he was alive, he was one of many guitar gods. By dying young, he's frozen in time.

If he were still alive, he'd be in his early 60s. No one knows how many masterpieces he could have recorded during the last 30+ years. And no one knows how many clunkers he might have released...

22. dkmonroe

Meh. I think you just can't try to make a point without attempting to tread on someone's toes, so you had to follow "Randy was a guitar god" with "everybody thinks he's a legend because he's dead." And anyway, you're hardly the first person to trace the death-to-legend trajectory, it's actually quite cliche.

And the, "we don't know, maybe he'd have done a buncha clunkers if he'd have lived" is actually a worthless observation as it rests on pure speculation. A person's legacy is their legacy, hypotheticals neither add nor subtract from it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Stormrider77 likes this.
  23. dmiller458

Except that it's not what I said. There are other ways to become a legend, but the quickest way is to die. I'm not saying that everyone thinks he's a legend because of his early death. I'm saying that he is a legend because of his early death.

It's not pure speculation. I'm not saying that he might have recorded a bunch of clunkers. I'm saying that he would have recorded at least one.

Rhoads' legacy is based on two things: his recordings and his early death.

24. dkmonroe

Whatever. Your observations are trite and uninteresting.

It is speculation that his having recorded one or even more clunkers would have any effect on his legacy. Everybody records some clunkers in somebody's opinion, it doesn't mean that their legacy is negatively impacted.

25. dmiller458

Then why do you keep replying?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.