Huge plot holes in movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Two that come to mind immediately:

Do The Right Thing - after the rioters destroy the pizza parlor, they try to soften it by saying the insurance will pay for it. Well, in ****ty neighborhoods like that, businesses were unable to get insurance at any price. So, no, the insurance won't cover it.

Broadcast News - The key plot point at the end where Holly Hunter discovers William Hurt shot his cutaways after the interview and she is stunned to learn this, is ridiculous. That's how all interviews are shot in televsion. Why would this be a surprise to her?

Jrr, Vidiot and stewedandkeefed like this.
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

There's a huge one in De Palma's Blow Out that exists just so John Travolta can place Nancy Allen in danger. A reporter has asked Allen to meet alone with him, and a suspicious Travolta can't call him for verification because his (Travolta's) phone doesn't work. So, rather than calling the reporter on an outside line, Travolta sends Allen off to meet a killer masquerading as the reporter.

The whole thing just about ruins the movie for me.

3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I still want to know how the Joker got all of those barrels of gasoline into a hospital basement or onto those ferry boats without anyone noticing.

Every scene of The Dark Knight Rises.

4. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

It's been a while since I saw it, so I might be hazy here, but I thought she was upset about the way that he faked his crying reaction, the way he was sitting there and manufacturing it for effect.

tmtomh, Mr. E. Tramp, Rich C and 6 others like this.
  5. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I'm still trying to figure out why nobody can see that[Superman&Clark Kent]are the same person.

6. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

*gestures broadly in the direction of Prometheus*

7. chodad

chodad Hodad

Lots of empty roads and streets with no witnesses in movies. That's rarely the case in real life.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Yeah....and the School Buses lined up just perfect....

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    blind_melon1 likes this.
  9. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Not quite. The big shock for Hunter's character is that the footage had been shot with only one camera (necessitating an after-the-fact reaction shot from Hurt's character) — despite the fact that this was a standard technique in news shows.

10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Huge, unfilled time-gap in The Godfather: in one scene Michael is proposing to Kay and five minutes' later they have what looks to be a three year old son.

11. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

That's not a plot hole, just a jump in time.

12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It's asking us to believe that the story basically hangs fire for three years.

13. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Time jumps are used all the time in movies.

a plot hole or plot error is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot.
    Such inconsistencies include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.

Strat-Mangler and Ginger Ale like this.
  14. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

No, it was the realization that he faked the tear, the way she figured it out because it was only one camera.

somnar and Farmer Mike like this.
  15. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The way she figured it out was seeing the unedited footage. But how could she not have been at least dubious to start with, when as a TV news producer she had every reason to know the reaction footage had been filmed after the interview?

16. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

In Jurassic Park- The Lost World it makes no sense that the captain of the ship (the one bringing the TRex to the US) is dead because the TRex is still in the hold.

17. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

The glasses, silly. Throws people off

Pinknik likes this.
  18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I thought, at first glance, that this thread was about Pittsburgh and huge potholes.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A bigger plot hole is that shotgun mics (not even a Sennheiser MKH816) does not work the way Travolta uses the microphone in the film: it's not like a laser beam.

showtaper likes this.
  20. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

If you say so. But I know nothing about that so I didn't even notice it. :)

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's a plot hole whether you notice it or not.

22. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Vertigo- Let's go for a drive (That Jimmy Stewart's character suggests) and they get to the Mission.
    But it was the husband that planned the killing.....and he's waiting up at the tower and hoping that Jimmy Stewart's character doesn't run after Kim Novak because he has Vertigo.
    ONe of my favorite movies and yet that whole sequence is totally implausible......oh yeah, forgot to mention, why does the husband involve Jimmy Stewart in the plot to kill his wife?

23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

How do those meddling kids in "Scooby Doo" subsist? Solving mysteries ain't putting no gas in the Mystery Machine, or buying no Scooby Snacks. And don't tell me that Shagg and Scoob are selling herb, because there's just no way Freddie would stand for that.

24. Because he had read about his vertigo. I don't think he planned for him to run after her but just observe her body plunge to the ground. As far as the drive to the. He chose Scotty because of his weakness after reading about his experience in the newspaper. He wins either way--if Scotty can't save her because he can't mount the stairs or make it up, he observes the "suicide", if he does, he still observes it.

25. It's all the pot that Shaggy sells.

Zoot Marimba, razerx and Solaris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.