Marillion - Post-Fish

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Putnam39, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Putnam39

Putnam39 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I love Fish-era Marillion but not familiar with post-Fish era. What's everyone's opinion in comparing the two and what are the worthwhile albums?

Svetonio likes this.
  2. Bebstrel

Bebstrel Old-Timey Member

There are people that favor Fish-era and people that favor Hogarth-era, much like Genesis with Gabriel vs. lead vocal Collins. I favor Hogarth-era, but that's likely because I came to the band in the early nineties with Holidays in Eden. If you are a Fish fan, you would probably enjoy Season's End, Brave and Afraid of Sunlight. Those would be the albums to start your exploration, and if you like what you hear, the next steps are probably This Strange Engine and Marbles. YMMV!

altaeria, carlwm and Northwind like this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Afraid Of Sunlight, Seasons End, Brave, and Marbles are all brilliant records.

Everyone points to Brave as the high point of the Hogarth era...it really is a great album, but I'd start with Seasons and Afraid Of Sunlight first just to get your feet wet before tackling the huge concept album.

4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I prefer Fish era but its kinda difficult when they made 4 masterpieces compared to the maybe 4 the Hogarth era has provided.

Hogarth era is still pretty fertile though. Lots of great music has been made since 1989.

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Im not big on Brave or Marbles to be honest. I prefer song orientated albums like Seasons, Sunlight and especially Anoraknophobia. I also think Somewhere Else is a fantastic album.

danielbravo and Rufus McDufus like this.
  6. walrus

I like those too, except for Somewhere Else, which still sounds like an album of outtakes to me. I definitely suggest the OP start with a song-oriented H-era record. I like Anoraknophobia, but it's towards the bottom of the list of things I'd recommend to an 80's Marillion fan. (Although definitely check out "Between You And Me," which totally rocks in a way they don't anymore)

danielbravo and Who'sTommy like this.
  7. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Funny I should see this post because I was listening to Holidays in Eden today and thought to myself:

1: This is undoubtedly my favorite Marillion album; and
    2: This is one of my favorite albums period.

So...try Holidays in Eden!

sound chaser and Instant Dharma like this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Nice. Yeah its middling but its not bad. Certainly not as bad as marillion.com or half of Radiation. And dont even get me started on Happiness is...

sound chaser likes this.
  9. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Marbles!

danielbravo and willy like this.
  10. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

My Top 5 Hogarth-Marillion favorites (chronologically) are Seasons End, This Strange Engine, Radiation, Marbles and FEAR.

danielbravo likes this.
  11. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I'm a total freak for both eras.

If you want song-orientated H stuff...
    Seasons End, Holidays In Eden, Afraid Of Sunlight, Anoraknophobia, Somewhere Else...

If you want harder-edged... Radiation

If you want Prog masterpieces...
    Brave, Marbles, FEAR...

I love every album. Every damn one.

12. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Save for Brave, about half of Afraid of Sunlight and Less Is More I'm right there with you.

13. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Marillion died when Fish left.

14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

This is my general position. However I'm seeing Marillion next weekend, so want to give them a chance- it seems unfair to dismiss a band that's continued to make loads of albums and has not changed line up for decades other than changing Fish for Hogarth.

To be on the safe side though, do they still perform Fish-era songs in their live sets these days?

ifihadafish and OptimisticGoat like this.
  15. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

I have most of the Hogarth-era CDs so I did give them a chance. They just don't do it for me. One favorite though : Sympathy. You can't go wrong with such a great song.
    Yes, they still include Fish-era songs in their live show but only a very small minority.

Svetonio likes this.
  16. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I've tried all most of the post-Fish albums, but don't enjoy any of them. They sound great, but it's not for me I'm afraid.

Svetonio and ifihadafish like this.
  17. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I am going to see Marillion for the first time in October, but I prefer the Fish-era. I bought "Seasons End", "Afraid of Sunlight", "Holidays in Eden", "Brave" and "Marbles", which are all great albums. I tried some of the other albums, but I didn't like them. Apart from the song "Between you and me", which is one of my favourites of the H era.

jmpatrick likes this.
  18. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I've always had the opinion that neither Fish or Marillion should be playing Fish-era Marillion songs but after seeing Marillion do Sugar Mice on the FEAR tour and Fish doing a few rearranged tracks on his Movable Feast live set I maybe mellowing a bit on that. I still would prefer not to hear them but they aren't the cringe inducing experiences they once were.

19. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Not sure if they still do this but a couple of years ago I got a free CD comp of post-Fish stuff from their website. It got lost for awhile but I recently found it and gave it a listen. It was a struggle getting through it.

The Fish era material is great. I'm very glad I got to see them on the Fugazi tour.

20. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Personally I would rather listen to any of the H-era albums than Script or Fugazi.

But in general I am a "Misplaced Childhood to Marbles" era fan. Sure, there were a couple of slight dips but I find all those albums to be generally of good quality. They've lost me a bit since then, sadly...

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

This.

willy likes this.
  22. walrus

Glad I'm not the only person who isn't really into the first two albums. "Misplaced to Marbles" describes exactly my fandom as well.

akmonday and LivingForever like this.
  23. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Having now seen Marillion live, I feel qualified to have an opinion on the post-Fish band.

Unfortunately the politeness filter on this board prevents me from adequately expressing how absolutely dire I think the band is.

24. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Brave
    Brave

albertop likes this.
  25. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Did I mention Brave?

Riccardo2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.