Beatles Please Please Me Album Stereo Mix- MFSL Version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoguy, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

You may not have the best one, though.

2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

Be careful admitting that, the anti MFSL squad is gonna come down on you. I know.

Dan The Man1 and leeroy jenkins like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Stereo mix sure sounds beautiful on the Horzu. I did do something a bit akin to using EQ as I turned my subwoofer up from about 2.5/10 (used for listening to more modern things) to about 3/10. Not that I ever used anything other than my ears to determine what subwoofer level corresponds to a flat frequency response.

4. stereoguy

For me I do. I do not dig the mono Beatles.

5. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

The first time I heard PPM on Mofi (in 1999) was an epiphany. It was nothing like the 70's stereo Pathé Marconi pressing I'd heard all my life. The separation! It certainly sounds strange with nothing in the center, but it's really full. The intro of Roll Over Beethoven is also a favorite of mine on Mofi.

john lennonist likes this.
  6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Fair enough. Chacun son gout.

7. DEC

DEC New Member

I am new here and I just want say Hi,, and that this is a great picture,,,when I was a kid I use to like Lennon's electric guitar, it looked the best to me..

forthlin likes this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm listening to the MoFi individual pressing of Sgt.Pepper mastered by Jack Hunt. Stan Ricker cut the box set version. The JH cut is actually listenable and isn't an ear bleeder. I prefer it to the box set version. It has decent tonality. I still don't think it betters a stock Parlophone copy.

I can't believe the prices that the MoFi's command online. Way overinflated.

9. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

As far as vinyl quality is concerned, Mofi is the way to go. Alas, bad EQ can't be undone by good vinyl.

mpayan likes this.
  10. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I'd consider myself moderate with the MFSL releases and here's why:

I've lusted after a full MFSL set since I discovered them (and Doctor Ebbetts, RIP) because they just sounded so much better than the '87 CDs. Obviously; they were stereo!

So I started to buy one offs as my stereo system improved. And the more it improved, the less I liked the MFSLs. Too harsh; too bright. Maybe it's my current setup (I love the cold clinical Japanese audio sound anyway). Maybe I'm just hearing more.

Love the vinyl the MFSLs were pressed on, though!

AnalogJ likes this.
  11. Are you talking the stereo "Money"? "Money" a sonic mess? I love the sound of it.

A well respected man likes this.
  12. stereoguy

Yes, the stereo "Money". I'm happy you like it, I like it as a song, but it *is* a sonic mess. I have heard some Beatlemaniacs say that they used two twin track recorders and "hand synced" them to make that recording . They did that on the stereo "Please Please Me", to add the harmonica from the mono single version, so its certainly possible.

13. slane

slane Forum Resident

Not true - Money is a twin-track recording of instruments (panned left) and vocals (panned centre), with a live piano overdub during the mix (panned right).

The piano overdub on the mono version is different.

14. stereoguy

slane: I didnt say I agreed with that theory, only that its out there. I think its just as you described.

15. Sorry but I disagree. To each their own. The guitars on the stereo version and mix create a great rock recording. If you want purity and clean sound...well to me that would undermine the song.

16. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I'm very surprised that so many people love the stereo mix of PPM and WTB. I find it unsettling that big hole in the middle. I would say it feels uncooked.
    George Martin himself recognized he arranged the twin track recordings for the mono mixing, so what you hear is basically a previous step for mono mixing, not a proper stereo image. Martin didn't want those two first records to come out in stereo when the catalog was standardized for CD.

And WTB is even worse; at least in PPM there are some instruments on the vocal side. In WTB the separation is more radical (except for Money, which for some reason has a proper stereo mix).

john lennonist and Tommyboy like this.
  17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Wouldn't the 2009 stereo CDs have the same sound effects?

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I agree, but as long as I'm sitting in my sweet spot, it sounds just fine.

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I prefer PPM in stereo. I'm so used to it. WTB is another story. I agree with you about the unsettling nature of the stereo mix. Not A Second Time and Till There Was You have those big holes in the middle, plus the levels are futzed around with on Roll Over Beethoven and Devil In Her Heart. It's easier on my brain to listen to the mono mix!

20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I do, too. Sometimes you trade solidity for clarity, and in my case clarity wins on PPM.

I have a MFSL box at home as well as a full set of still sealed single individual LPs. Did I understand you to write the mastering is different between the two sets and that the singles are better?

Tommyboy likes this.
  21. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I love the MFSL PPM LP....Much better than any of the remastered versions. I also like the AHDT from MFSL.

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Just with Pepper, which was mastered by Jack Hunt, while the box set LP was cut by Stan Ricker. All others Singles were cut by Ricker. Same as the box set.

AlienRendel likes this.
  23. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Thanks. Kind of pointless for me though. I bought all of those 20 years ago when I went through a Beatles obsession phase, but I have EMI one box UK copies as well as an early UK blue box and those will probably sound the best, outside of the UK Beatles Again and German HorZu PPM and MMT. Lotta redundancies there while looking for the best sound. I guess I'd better get on selling those before everyone dies off that's still interested in The Beatles. Wonder how much time I have left?

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Hopefully, you have a long time left.

DEC and goat65cars like this.
  25. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

This has been discussed for 15 years now on this forum, and I am still confused:
    What exactly is the difference between the German HörZu "Die Beatles" LP and "regular" stereo LPs? Does the former use the twin track tape (or a flat copy of it) and the latter a mixed master tape sourced from twin track? Or is the difference merely due to mastering moves?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.