Huge plot holes in movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham

Graham Senior Member

That is not a plot hole. It's dialogue from characters who wouldn't know the intricacies of insurance policies.

2. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Why didnt Gandalf just ask the birds to fly Frodo to Mordor instead of spending months walking there.

3. I thought she edited the footage.

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Vertigo (1958) • r/TrueFilm
    That website address other plot holes in Vertigo, but I stand by what I wrote....the whole murder plot is implausible.

razerx likes this.
  5. jojopuppyfish

Oh you mean this:

6. jojopuppyfish

Which also reminds me of Apocalypse Now.....why didn't he ask the USA government to drop him off closer to Marlon Brando was?

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the new "kong" movie.....

where did they get the gas for the boat?

PhilBorder likes this.
  8. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I don't know what you mean. Availability of the letters was what drew Ilsa and Victor Laszlo to Casablanca. Else there wouldn't have been a movie.

9. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Andrew Davis' "The Package" was a series of plot holes. Ebert liked the film, but I think because the 2nd half took place in Chicago.

10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Kind of like the new promo for Spectrum Cable. The Cable installer awakens before dawn for a lenthy sojourn which affords the narrator time to intone how much Spectrum cares about his customers (and gives me time to ruminate on how badly they screw over their customers). If their cable installers actually reside 50 miles away from their job I imagine its another reason why cable bills keep spiraling upwards.

It also suggested to me that Spectrum has a hard time finding competent people, so they have to hire farther and farther away from their service territory.

11. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Call it what you want but it was a way for Spike Lee to molify the segment of the audience who wouldn't think that burning a family's business to the ground was such a charming thing to do.

12. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone of us who work in the business knows that the crying shots were cutaways, shot after the interview. To have Hunter but shocked and surprised at this discovery is bogus.

13. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Even though I will always love the movie, in the Shawshank Redemption, it seems like an insurmountable stretch in credibility that even someone as brilliant as Andy Dufresne could actually make a person up (Randall Stephens) who has a birth certificate, a social security card, and a driver's license...and that they were all obtained by mail with Andy's only return address being a well known state prison !

Just how does someone actually manage to do that in real life ? How can you take a driving test or obtain a social security card without actually being there ?

I realize that Stephen King was the one who wrote it first and obviously the screenplay had to follow that particular plot development as it's a major one that is essential to the larger story, but still, Andy's response to Red that "It's amazing what you can accomplish by mail..." is far too pat an answer for me and requires far too much immediate acceptance without scrutiny by the movie viewer.

But again...as I said ...I absolutely love that movie so I am posting this criticism with much love as well....:)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    fr in sc and Pete Puma like this.
  14. The letters of transit would've been useless. Do you think the Nazis and their collaborators would've honoured such letters, when being held by one of the most wanted men in their sphere of influence, and when they're know to have been stolen?

Dr. Funk likes this.
  15. Works for me. Most murder plots are, largely, implausible as are scenes like Cary Grant in the field of corn with the killer crop duster. In the case of Vertigo, it seemed pretty logical now there's no way he knew Scotty wouldn't go up but that's also why he hid. Either way he got a witness.

Of course, Hitch used to say that ice box scenes were great because, by the time you realize something might not make sense, it didn't matter because you had their money and entertained them.

16. I kept waiting for a funny scene of someone playing football there and running into it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Encuentro likes this.
  17. It need because the photo would never be taken. It was a clever way to create suspense and to show the audience something that they might not "get" just like his hand beginning to become transparent and his inability to play guitar.

Matthew Tate and Vidiot like this.
  18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

A college professor and document expert provides historical background about the letters of transit in a podcast:

http://faculty.washington.edu/jwj/doc/transit.mp3

Apart from pointing out that there is no such thing as letters of transit, he mentions that Peter Lorre went off-script when he said they were signed by de Gaulle (who was, of course, exiled at the time of the story). Not an authority that German officers were likely to respect. If they had been signed by a Vichy or German official, one assumes they would have been invalidated when they were stolen (in fact, possessing them would probably lead to one's arrest, not one's free travel).

It's one of my favorite movies of all time, but I'll stand firmly in the "plot hole" camp.

Pete Puma and Dudley Morris like this.
  19. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

How about Jeff Goldblum hacking a super advanced alien computer with a PowerBook?

20. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

And how does the Millennium Falcon get to Bespin if the hyperdrive isn't working!?!

21. Graham

Graham Senior Member

If you say so. That never crossed my mind, and I doubt anybody else's.

22. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

They addressed this when they rebooted Superman in the comics in 1986. It is more than just the glasses, but also the way he carries himself, and the way he speaks (they showed the two side by side and Clark Kent looks shorter and less built). The glasses are important because they do change the way his face appears (when someone wears glasses all the time, their face does look different when they remove them*). Also, when he senses he is being observed, Superman vibrates his face slightly so that you can't get a clear image (The Flash [Jay Garrick] did the same thing). Most important is that Superman doesn't let on that he has a secret identity. To the world at large, he is Superman 24/7.

In fact, one of the early issues after the reboot had Lex Luthor researching Superman and discovering a connection to Smallville. After all of the data was compiled, the computer stated that Superman is Clark Kent. Luthor completely rejected that conclusion because he could not believe that someone with the power of Superman would live as an ordinary man. Luthor deleted the data and fired everyone involved.

He also has others who can assist him by taking on the guise of Clark Kent/Superman so the two can appear side-by-side. After "The Death of Superman" storyline (when Superman returned from the dead), he publicly rescued Clark Kent who had been reported to have been trapped underground. "Clark Kent" turned out to be Supergirl (Matrix**) who had shape shifting powers and took on the appearance of Clark Kent.

* Drew Carey uses this to go out in public by not wearing his regular glasses. People don't immediately recognize him, and by the time they do he is gone.

** It's a very long story.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Doctor Goldfoot And The Bikini Machine

Craig Gamble goes to Doctor Goldfoot's headquarters, yet there is no explanation for how he found it or how he knew who Goldfoot was. He just shows up there.

24. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Exactly! Always bothered me, from the very first viewing. Also, Urgate gives up those letters of transit very easily to Rick. It's obvious that Rick doesn't think very highly of Urgate, so why would he trust him. Rick's hiding place for the letters is also a little comical, it seems everyone in the joint would see him put them in the piano.

25. What do you mean? If you want to become invisible, or at least almost unrecognizable, all you need are a pair of these...Everyone knows that.
    [​IMG]

Chris from Chicago likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.