The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

:laugh: Yeah, those guys are just faking it. I'm not sure which version you found and know you're favoring vinyl but Elusive Disc has "a few copies left" of the fine Alan Yoshida XRCD and with the current sale it's about $24 and well worth it. Amazon has two new copies listed, one at $200, the other at $225.

WorldB3 likes this.
  2. AxiomAcoustics

3. AxiomAcoustics

Never heard of this label and was going to ask you if the name was due to a particular micing technique. Found out on their site that is it indeed. Intrigued by this, nice lineup of recording and monitoring gear but I'm unfamiliar with the musicians and at $40 per SACD it seems a bit premium priced for a trial. How would you describe the music?

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm not a jazz expert, but it's quite upbeat--lots of swing. Here are some reviews: SA-CD.net - Joe McQueen & friends: Ten at 86

And here is some guy playing a track on his stereo and capturing it with a phone I assume! (At least you can hear the style.)

I paid $14.99--there are some around $18 now on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SRQ2HE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  5. AxiomAcoustics

Stephen Gauci/Kris Davis/Michael Bisio: Three

Stephen Gauci: Tenor Sax
    Kris Davis: Piano
    Michael Bisio: Double Bass

Recorded June 17, 2008 by Marc Urselli, the engineer who is doing all the recording for the (somewhat) new Newvelle vinyl subscription label, and it's nicely rendered and presented. A touch more adventurous than the Giuffre/Bley/Swallow trio of yore but if you dig that kind of thing and are looking for something new this holds plenty to enjoy.

[​IMG]

Marzz and jiffypopinski like this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

Thanks for that, most appreciated. That pricing makes it much more palatable as well. While I like to support labels like this directly this is a good way to check them out. I like their aesthetic.

Bachtoven likes this.
  7. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Yes! Tamaya Honda is a fabulous drummer-he plays with Kei Akagi, in the latter's fabulous trio!

jay.dee and tribby2001 like this.
  8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I got a bunch of those 32 Jazz reissues for $2.99 or $3.99, so I didn't care about the covers. Maybe the cheap look was why they priced them that low.

9. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

William Parker Quartets - Meditation/Resurrection

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Marzz, Ras and 3 others like this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I just picked up a Roy Brooks album Duet In Detroit on Enja that features Roy in duet with Randy Weston, Woody Shaw, Don Pullen and Geri Allen plus a couple of just Roy solo. It's very good imo. The Weston tracks are worth the price of admission alone but it's all good.

12. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Sun Ra - The Magic City

[​IMG]

This is the recent remastered CD on Cosmic Myth. Excellent sound!!! I hope they do a lot more of these. :D

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

My Brother The Wind, Vol. 1 is the next release.

jiffypopinski and jay.dee like this.
  14. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Heatwave hasn't let up, eh? ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    AxiomAcoustics and vanhooserd like this.
  15. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well (1985)
    Abdullah Ibrahim (piano), Carlos Ward (alto flute), Ricky Ford (tenor sax), Charles (baritone sax), Dick Griffin (trombone), David Williams (bass), Ben Riley (drums).
    (Enja Records)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  16. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Abbey Lincoln - You Gotta Pay The Band (1991)
    with Stan Getz (tenor sax), Hank Jones (piano), Charlie Haden (bass), Mark Johnson (drums), Maxine Roach (viola).

Verve/Gitanes (1991)

[​IMG]

17. [​IMG]

1946 Jazz at The Philharmonic concert - Charlie Parker (Verve) CD
    featuring
    Dizzy Gillespie, Lester Young
    & Coleman Hawkins

This CD is included, without the above sleeve, in the poorly packaged and clunky/fat 10 CD box.

[​IMG]

Bird / The Complete Charlie Parker On Verve

18. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

19. Two great late 50's Jazz/Blues/Soul sessions on 2CDs (+ 8 page booklet).

[​IMG]

Soul Brothers/Soul Meeting - Ray Charles & Milt Jackson (Atlantic Jazz) 2CD

Soul Brothers
    with
    Oscar Pettiford, Billy Mitchell, Skeeter Best & Connie Kay
    Recorded 1957

Soul Meeting
    with
    Kenny Burrell, Percy Heath & Art Taylor
    Recorded 1958

Disc 1 includes 2 'bonus' tracks, both recorded in 1957
    The Genius After Hours (5.22)
    &
    Charlesville (4.53)

20. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Barbara CarrollOne Morning In May (Fynsworth Alley)
    — With Jay Leonhart, Randy Sandke, Ken Peplowski, a.o.

[​IMG]

21. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Archie Shepp - Four For Trane (1964)

Original '64 Impulse! mono A-71 (black & orange labels, VAN GELDER stampers)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Discogs purchase just in from Michigan. As I expected, this original LP smokes the '97 Labson-remastered CD. The LP is intimate, cacophonous, focused, blistering, and tonally perfect. I'll say it again, the Impulse catalog could really use some more love from the likes of APO, AF, and MFSL. For Shepp newbies, this album is an excellent place to start, with 4 accessible Coltrane covers taken from Giant Steps and Coltrane Plays The Blues along with one Shepp original. Produced by Bob Thiele (pictured below, signing Shepp in '64) and Coltrane himself. Recorded August 10, '64 at Rudy's.

[​IMG]

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Is the redbook layer on those Impulse AP Hybrid SACDs a marked improvement over the Labsons or other Impulse CDs?

23. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Hell yeah :agree: I was just listening to Art Blakey!!! Jazz Messengers!!! the other day and was amazed at how great it sounded; before I got that I only had the Labson CD, and I didn't think the album sounded as good as I do now. The mastering can change everything. All of these are done by Kevin Gray and I am really enjoying the dozen or so that I have. I just wish APO or another audiophile label would continue.

Bobby Buckshot and J.A.W. like this.
  24. [​IMG]

The Three Faces Of Chico - Chico Hamilton Quintet (Warner Bros.) CD
    with
    Chico Hamilton (drums, vocal), Eric Dolphy (flute, reeds), Nathan Greshman (cello), Dennis Budimer (guitar), Wyatt Ruther (bass)

Recorded 1959

Despite initial doubts this is a very enjoyable album!

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Couldn't agree more. The Labsons are the least successful impulse! remasters in my book. The Analogue Productions hybrid SACDs are excellent, and my preferred early impulse! CD reissues are the 1987 and 1991 Japanese CDs.