Was Oasis the biggest band in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

In the 70s, Knebworth featured The Allman Brothers, The Doobie Brothers, SAHB, Captain Beefheart, Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zeppelin.
    A couple decades later and an act like Robin Williams packed it out.:rolleyes::faint:

2. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

I remember them from the first they played in Berlin, must've been 1994. They played at the venue I was working for at the time. The club held 600 people. It was filled well, but plenty of tickets were available at the box office.

In the 15 years the club existed at the time, Oasis was the first act to demand a stage pit. Nobody had ever even asked for this before. They were apparently afraid of teenage fans storming the stage. At the time, their first album was out, and they were already quite popular in the UK. In Berlin, they were not anywhere near being a teen-craze, so that demand was absolutely ridiculous. Yet, they refused to play unless they would get a pit. It was a nasty discussion, and I actually don't remember how it ended. I was so fed up with these guys, I left before they even started to play. Eventually they did get up on stage, though.

All band members toted leather shoulder bags (in the style of 1970s zippered flight bags) with little engreaved metal plates on them that said 'Oasis'. I remember thinking: If I ever hit it big in show biz, I'll take the first money I make and get one of those stupid looking bags with my band name on it for myself.

BadJack likes this.
  3. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

No they were not

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Yes, whereas Robbie didn't have the drop off after the third album.

"The Spice Girls have sold 85 million records worldwide" - Wiki

"As of 2009 Oasis have sold over 70 million records worldwide"

That's combined singles and albums for both artists.

Ah yes, probably not quite 15 million as that's as of 2009, but it's very likely still more, and it's still more impressive, being as The Spice Girls weren't together as long as Oasis.

"Their debut album Spice sold more than 31 million copies worldwide", whereas Oasis debut album sold 15 million, which shows how much bigger the Spice Girls debut was.

Why does it have to be labelled as "moving the goalposts"? It's just talking about acts that were bigger. I don't see as it's hurting anyone this far into the thread.

Oasis did two days. Robbie Williams did three, with 125,000 more people. And that's not just management or their record label or whatever saying that he could've done another day. He actually did another day.

Well, let's be realistic here. Oasis aren't even on the highest grossing tours list. Pink Floyd are, and I am sure Led Zeppelin could've been if they were touring at that point.
    List of highest-grossing concert tours - Wikipedia

And overall, Oasis don't even make the best selling artists worldwide list...
    List of best-selling music artists - Wikipedia

Those bands truly whipped Oasis.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Vinyl Addict likes this.
  5. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Who'd have thought someone would have so much info on The Spice Girls and Robbie?

Oh well, it takes all sorts.

6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

That's a strange argument. You could say the same about Oasis. Why would it be a surprise that someone's put information in on those artists too?

Jarleboy and JoeRockhead like this.
  7. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

thats impossible. As nobody cares about Oasis in the states, and she barely would have been born for those 5 minutes they were relevant

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wwright, Aftermath, e.s. and 3 others like this.
  8. Joao Carlos

Joao Carlos Forum Resident

In the 90's? I think so

9. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Me too.

schnitzerphilip and Favre508 like this.
  10. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

I second that!

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  11. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

12. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Before you throw stones... Boyz II Men and Mariah Carey?!? o_O

Most weeks at number one in the U.S

16 weeks
    Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men – "One Sweet Day" (1995–96)
    14 weeks

Whitney Houston – "I Will Always Love You" (1992–93)
    Boyz II Men – "I'll Make Love to You" (1994)
    Los del Río – "Macarena" (Bayside Boys mix) (1996)
    Elton John – "Candle in the Wind 1997" / "Something About the Way You Look Tonight" (1997–98)
    Mariah Carey – "We Belong Together" (2005)
    The Black Eyed Peas – "I Gotta Feeling" (2009)
    Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars – "Uptown Funk" (2015)
    13 weeks
    Boyz II Men – "End of the Road" (1992)

13. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Did Oasis ever do an arena tour in the US? I recall a Radio City Music Hall show that was a pretty big deal but can't recall if they did play the big rooms here.

14. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

The tour of late 1996 was

Rosemont Horizon - Rosemont IL
    Palace - Auburn Hills MI
    Molson Park - Toronto
    Corestates Center - Philadelphia PA
    The Centrum - Worcester MA
    Jones Beach Theatre - Long Island NY
    Jones Beach Theatre - Long Island NY
    Nissan Pavilion - Bristow VA
    (not performed after Noel quit the tour)
    Independence Arena, Charlotte, NC
    The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    West Palm Beach Auditorium, West Palm Beach, FL
    USF Arena, Orlando
    USF Special Events Centre, Tampa

15. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

i cant remember if these dates are the ones where Liam arrived Stateside, then flew back to the UK immediately to buy a house, leaving Noel to be the frontman. Then Noel quit, I recall the news footage of him walking through the airport surrounded by the media frenzy, not saying a word

16. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

Liam didn't fly to the States, he did a runner in the departure lounge at Heathrow, then you had the spectacle of Jeremy Vine on behalf of Newsnight ringing on his doorbell to try and obtain an answer upon when he would fly.

17. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Not sure about any of the others, but the Worcester Centrum is definitely not a stadium size venue. Not even close.

They couldn't finish the tour because Liam had to buy a house? What a crock of ****. Talk about total disrespect for the people that got him to where he was at that point. As pompous and self-centered as he was, that's just terrible.
    :tsk:

18. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Haha, no. I got through the 90s not even listening to them. OK Computer was much bigger than anything they've done, in 97. And time has not been kind to the rip-off artists who never finished what the La's started

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Would be a good thread topic. :D

(Though I personally wouldn't include Oasis in that category. Based on news stories of a large group of grief stricken people spontaneously singing their song, after a horrific tragedy, I can't agree.)

20. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

900 posts make this the biggest band (formed after 1990) in this forum. Man, I didn't realize just cause of a Beatle connection that so many people here would automatically love them more than anyone else, but I guess I was naive. But then again, Radiohead gets a ton of posts here too. So maybe they're not the biggest formed-1990-and-after band here. Hmm...:unhunh::idea::uhhuh:

21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Which has never been the point of the thread...so it seems 900 posts aren't enough!

(Look at my avatar. It just so happens that Trace, a masterpiece, was released in 1995, the exact blip in the rock timeline that is under discussion. I can, and do, think Trace is where it's at....but hardly any one else does. But my infatuation with an entirely different genre doesn't detract from recognition that for a couple of months, on or about that time period, Oasis was huge.)

22. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey Forum Resident

Nope. Biggest plagiarists - yep.

23. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I have that album Zeki. That's a mighty fine one-so many good ones in 1995. Wilco eventually got really big but alt fans know that Uncle Tupelo was the rare band to separate into two critically acclaimed, commercially successful bands.

Zeki likes this.
  24. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

I don't particularly like them. There are far, far better bands such as Blur who competed with them or bands like Grandaddy who were formed after 1990. They were not even the best band formed in Manchester in the 90's as I'd say that honor goes to the Doves. What they were was very, very successful. Had Noel called it quits after Morning Glory he'd have gone down in history as one of the greats.

It is not like the two are mutually exclusive. My Sweet Lord was perhaps the biggest solo Beatle hit of the early 70's.

25. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

Noel fronted the band for some shows, (cant remember how many) as 2 fingers to Liam for abandoning them at a critical time. So amid the hype people were going to see this new band with no Liam. Then Noel flew home himself with a handful of gigs left uncompleted. They really didn't help themselves cracking America at that time

Vinyl Addict and BadJack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.