Share your Nintendo NES memories!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Baba Oh Really, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Either these kids are actors helping to further the ridiculous idea that Contra is "one of the hardest NES games ever", or they're all just morons.... none of them can even get past the first level!

2. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

That's pretty bad, even though that game is hard. And I consider (or considered) myself an above average 8 bit gamer!

3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

They do a little better with the original Doom:

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Getting my butt handed to me by Glass Joe when I played Mike Tyson's Punch-Out for the first time in 1987.

Oh the shame... :)

Also, finally getting R.O.B set up and playing Gyromote and being bored out of my mind with it.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

We bought all the NEW Nintendo's, replacing them as a new one came out, starting with NES. Of course our son sold off the older one when he received the new ones. Now the old ones are the rage again and are going for big $$$$.

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Super Nintendo games in particular have skyrocket in value over the last decade or so.

PhantomStranger and Bingo Bongo like this.
  7. Grunge Master

I still have my ROB in the basement. He looked a lot cooler than he was. I mean, the idea of a robot was sweet; it just didn't translate well, when you had to hit a button to signal him on the TV, then move him over, pick up the gyro, put it in the spinner, wait for it to spin, pick it back up, put it on the thing that hit the buttons-it's hard just typing it out!

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I love the scene where James (The Angry Video Game Nerd) gets fed up and makes fun of R.O.B by impersonating him. heh.

Grunge Master likes this.
  9. Grunge Master

I used to just actually push the buttons down on the second controller with my feet.

10. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

Ah, Christmas 1986 (12 years old) - the NES was my Red Rider BB Gun. I never thought my mom would be able to afford it, but when I unwrapped that present and saw the box (which came with Super Mario Bros) staring back at me, I just about lost it. I even got VS Baseball as well. I was in heaven. I eventually got my own little tv that I had to slap the top of every 10 minutes or so for the color to come back from black&white.

Greatest gaming moment involved that NES as well when I finally beat Mike Tyson in Punchout for the first time...I felt like I had beaten the actual Mike Tyson.
    I still have some issues of the original NES magazine (pre-Nintendo Power) boxed away somewhere...I think it was called Nintendo Fun Club or something?

11. Grunge Master

Nintendo Fun Club. It was free, and there were only like 6 issues of it before it became the powerhouse Nintendo Power!

JWew likes this.
  12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It's a lot more effective! :)

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Hey, Doc is a member so it has to be great. :)

[​IMG]

"Yeah, thanks Doc... That's really going to help me not get my butt kicked out there...".

Grunge Master and JWew like this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

15. Grunge Master

I remember a tip was, you were only supposed to hit 'select' when Doc was talking. You're energy would go up higher. I found this worked about half of the time.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh that's right! It only worked if your energy level was down to a certain level I *think*.

17. Pampered Menial

Pampered Menial Forum Resident

Shadowgate and Uninvited still give me the creeps. Quite serious. Also, the Shadowgate soundtrack is how I first properly "discovered" Erik Satie (what can I say? I am an uncultured hillbilly), as portions of Hiroyuki Masuno's score for the game "borrowed" heavily from his compositions.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Tracklist:
    0:00 Title Screen
    1:07 Entryway
    2:03 Subterranean Cavern
    3:34 Hall of Mirrors
    4:26 Dragon's Den
    5:05 Danger
    5:42 Game Over
    6:55 Courtyard
    8:14 Banquet Hall
    8:44 Twilight
    9:47 Battle to the Death
    10:22 Hero of Stormhaven
    11:45 Goblin Room (Unused)

:)

Pampered Menial likes this.
  19. Grunge Master

I remember renting Uninvited from the video store, and I couldn't get very far. I loved Shadowgate and Deja Vu-Deja Vu's main theme still gets stuck in my head

Pampered Menial likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

So many!

I led a childhood almost completely sheltered from home consoles with the exception of a Vic 20 my dad bought. I didn't know what a NES was until I was 9 and went to a friend's home after school. We played Ring Kings. Still remember the title. It was surprising how involving the game was in spite of it being far from a classic. It had an immediacy that the Vic 20 games I played sorely lacked. Everything felt sluggish or turn-based on the Vic 20 so instant action was a new thing for me.

Finally managed to get my parents to buy one for all 3 kids but I fully knew I'd be the one playing it the most, bar none. I was 13 when I got it and I still remember the day as my best friend (at the time) came over to play it too. It came with Super Mario Bros. Back then, carts were about 80$/game and the exchange rate was atrocious so much much higher than what Americans were paying. Consequently, I didn't get many games for it but had a blast regardless by renting most of the games.

At one point, Nintendo Power had a promotion where they gave away free Dragon Warrior games to subscribers. I went for it and waited for at least a couple of months for my cart to show up.

Traded away the first TMNT game to an acquaintance for a copy of Final Fantasy. I think I won that trade.

For some reason, my movie/game rental place had Japanese games. Since the titles were in Japanese, we took chances (my friend and I) by renting them all. Some were great while others stunk. One was another Mario title which looked graphically identical to SMB but it was all different levels. Later on, this was released in North-America under the title "The Lost Levels" in the Super Mario All-Stars compilation on SNES.

Most people don't know this but there inexplicably was a 1.5-year gap between the release dates in Japan and North-America of Super Mario 3. Once again, my rental place had it when it was released. The game was *quite* rare as it was rented for days on end. My friend and I tried to rent it for weeks and couldn't. Finally, I decided I was going to spend the entire day over there until it turned up. Luckily, the guy who had rented it didn't keep it an extra day! We didn't get it until it was mid-afternoon so we probably ended up spending about 5h over there waiting for it! It was worth it.

My buddy ended up buying SM3 on the first day of release which I still remember costing him 113$ CDN, taxes in, in 1990 money. That's 166$ in today's money which translates into $131 US. Yes, he wanted it that badly and yes, they cost that much back then.

We would rent RPGs and try to finish them in 24h marathon sessions, complete with pizza & Coke. We would each take turns, playing for hours. The goal was to be able to beat the return clock. We were successful more times than not.

My buddy managed to find a cheap cart he bought. It was Master Blaster. What a great game! Very underrated. Graphically beautiful and the sound was fantastic as well. The last boss was utterly impossible. With a Game Genie, I was able to have unlimited energy and enabled auto-turbo firing and it still took about 7 min of constant firing to kill it. I did it more as a curiosity. Having experienced this, I don't regret giving up trying to beat the game without the GG. Probably the only time I ever used one.

Got the Zelda game for Christmas. I had heard the other kids raving about it so I thought I'd love it. Since I was at a family gathering when I got it, all I could do was to be mesmerized by the gold cart and build up my expectations. Boy, was I crushed when I played this thing. It's considered a classic and it's almost a sin to state one disliked the game but I hated it. It did not appeal to me at all in any way. That was the last time I took any suggestions from my peers. I tried to experience the game before suggesting it as a gift idea to my parents.

By far my favorite game series is Dragon Warrior (or Dragon Quest in Japan). There was a *4* year delay in releasing this game in the US. My buddy at the time had a lot of Japanese friends including one who was an exchange student. As it happens, he had DQ3 so we borrowed it and tried to play the game which was entirely in Japanese. It was hard to remember which spells/items/armor/sword/shield and all that was what so we'd take notes. It was extremely difficult but the game was nevertheless a whole lot of fun. The greatest bit was how, after defeating Baramos, you were left thinking you had beaten the game only to discover you had done about half. Genius!

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I remember being stumped at some point and had no other way to progress than to call the Nintendo helpline. The agent wasn't very helpful so I ended up wasting about 10$ for nothing. I later found out the item in question wasn't something which could be used but rather it would be automatically used if I walked in one specific spot.

Now, I have an arcade* and I have the entire NES Japanese and North-America libraries along with a slew of other consoles'. But the simplicity and immediacy of the games from back then are still fascinating to me. My nephew who had never experienced simple games like the ones of yesteryear (having regularly played a PS4) surprised me by instantly connecting with Mrs Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. Good games are good games regardless of how ancient the graphics might be.

* You can read about my arcade here ; Take a look at my arcade! (lots of pics)

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Can I borrow your copy of Color A Dinosaur? :)

22. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

One of my favorite cartridges is my rare black case Tetris (spelled with backwards R) by Tengen.
    It was quickly went OOP, and was replaced by Nintendos own version.

Tengen made some great carts, Klax, Toobin', to name a few.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Not exactly.

I strongly recommend watching this fascinating video about those games. Even my wife thought it was interesting.

24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

25. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

I remember beating Battletoads when I was a kid.
    It was/is notoriously difficult, and I can't believe I was that good once!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.