Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

There are elements of the trailer that look great -- particularly the way the gunslinger shoots his gun (and even the way he loads it) -- but Peter Travers of Rolling Stone gave the film a pretty deadly-bad review. I'm a nut and will go see it anyway, even if I just wince and boo for 2 solid hours. (Typical for me.)

2. Mr. Fernando

Mr. Fernando Forum Resident

Don't know if this has been posted but:

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Best return on investment so far in 2017 is "Get Out". Worldwide gross of $252 million on a production budget of only $4.5 million and $30 million for marketing.

'Get Out' is the Most Profitable Film of 2017

Jordan Peele’s racism-horror masterpiece “Get Out” has had the best return on investment of any film of 2017 — a spectacular 630 percent.

Deep into summer, only one other film this year has come close to that kind of return — and it’s from Blumhouse, the same production company that delivered “Get Out.” M. Night Shyamalan‘s “Split” had a 610 percent ROI.

TheWrap calculated an estimate for the combined production budget and marketing costs for the top 25 grossing films this year so far, and Blumhouse founder and CEO Jason Blum’s strategy of taking creative risks within tight budgets is paying off.

Peele was given a $4.5 million budget to work with on “Get Out,” while M. Night Shyamalan had $9 million to make “Split.” Combined with an estimated $30 million marketing budget, that gives “Get Out” an ROI percentage of 630 percent with its worldwide gross of $252 million, and “Split” an ROI of 610 percent on a global haul of $277 million.

Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” remake, which remains the highest grossing film of the year so far with $1.26 billion worldwide, had a lower ROI than “Get Out” or “Split” because of its $160 million budget and much more extensive global marketing campaign. Its ROI is well over 400 percent, but doesn’t approach that of the two Blumhouse films.

Vidiot and RayS like this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

True enough, but which would you prefer - nearly a billion in profit or 200 million, in absolute terms? That's why tentpole productions are favored, they hold the promise of making very big bucks even if ROI might be less than economically budgeted productions.

Personally, my preference lies with imaginative, lower budget productions like Get Out.

turnersmemo, dewey02 and Deuce66 like this.
  5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

True enough!
    We see this a lot in advertising that can be both truthful and misleading at the same time.
    "XX service is the fastest growing in the country!"
    Truth - yes it is the fastest growing percentage-wise because it just started last year, so it went from zero subscribers to 10.
    Misleading - it doesn't hold a candle to services that have 90 million subscribers and added a million more last year.

Deesky and neo123 like this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

If it encourages more startup companies like Blumhouse who are willing to break the formulas I'm all for it. Obviously they can't play in the same sandbox as the Disney's/Marvel/Sony/Fox/Warner etc....when it comes to producing big $$ productions, they do have more creative license (I think).

7. There's smart money in Hollywood and there is dumb money in Hollywood. An outfit like Blumhouse needs to make very smart decisions on their properties. The big studios are a mess where most movie decisions are made by committees.

8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Wow. So I was on YouTube yesterday, and there's a lot of negative videos all about The Emoji Movie. The movie just looks really bad and am glad it didn't do well and decided to flop.

I do like the animation though.

9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Emoji" has already made almost $50m US, and by the time it's done, it'll almost certainly turn a small profit.

It's not a hit, but it's definitely not a flop...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

Did the movie place Top 3?

12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Boy do I hope Peele gets a piece of this.

Deuce66 likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

"Emoji Movie" was #2 in its first week - ha! - and #3 in its 2nd week.

Again, it's not what I'd call a hit, but it's not a flop, either...

14. Oatsdad

Even if he doesn't, he'll enjoy a big paycheck on his next film, one assumes...

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

He was Director/Screenwriter/Producer I have to assume he's making decent a $ out its success.

16. MikaelaArsenault

I'm surprised, because I thought the movie would bomb.

17. Oatsdad

Yes, we know! ;)

I'm not surprised - "Emoji" is a kids movie released by a major studio in summertime. That's a license to print money - it's hard not to sell tickets in that circumstance, honestly...

18. MikaelaArsenault

:)

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Get Out was one of the good ones's this year, so far.

20. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I think I smell a bomb.

21. alexpop

Inhumans poster looked promising.

22. MikaelaArsenault

:righton:

23. alexpop

Dunno looks alright for a DVD purchase.

24. alexpop

What about Security ?
    B Movie budget.
    Die Hard in a supermarket.

25. Oatsdad

That's not a movie, though - it's a TV series.

If I read correctly, they're combining episodes 1 and 2 and running them on IMAX screens for one night only (September 1)...

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.