Good movies with bad endings.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by metal134, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Did all of you who were confused by the end of 2001 prefer the ending of 2010 where the meaning was literally spelled out? I laughed out loud at that ending, after loving the rest of the movie.

[​IMG]

2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Not many people seem to remember this, but there actually *was* an episode where the Coyote *did* catch the Roadrunner. It doesn't turn out the way he planned, of course, but I believe it was the only time in their history where he actually physically catches his prey.
    Soup or Sonic - Wikipedia

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

In the book, all three guys (Brody, Hooper, Quint) are basically jerks. It actually does make for a bit more drama as all three of them clearly hate each other, and yet they're going after this big-ass shark together. I suspect that it was Dreyfuss' personality that sold Hooper on being the "cool guy" of the bunch. I bet Benchley didn't intend for the trust fund kid to be the most likable guy on the team.

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yeah, the book's ending is probably a lot more realistic, but nowhere near as exciting.
    And and doesn't the shark's death in the book also have something to do with the barrels? I seem to recall that, in addition to its wounds from gunshots and harpoons, it had also been swimming around for a while with several barrels attached to it, exhausting itself.

dkmonroe and Vidiot like this.
  5. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

"Tin Cup." He shoulda won......

6. It is rather on-the-nose, ain't it? Anyway, I just thought that there's be another movie where they would attempt a landing on Europa, with havoc ensuing. I mean, this is almost a provocation. :)

sparkydog likes this.
  7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I sat watching it wondering if Damon Lindelof had built a time machine and gone back there. Terrible plot, laughable.

But it's classed as a classic so I know I'm in a very small minority. :)

8. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I've never been able to stay awake all the way through Topaz.

Dudley Morris and Vidiot like this.
  9. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

The Game with Michael Douglas. i really liked the movie a lot...until the end when he jumps off the building. huge eye roll ending for me. it pisses me off to think about it.

10. The whole movie kind of annoyed me - I mean, it was supposed to take place in the real world and it didn't seem fantastical or metaphorical in a way that would encourage suspension of disbelief, but for the movie to work as it did the designers of The Game would have to be omniscient.

Lightworker likes this.
  11. htom

htom Senior Member

That is how the book ends, though. Unless the dream is visualized I can't see how any other ending would be true to the source material.

Carl LaFong, Nice Marmot and Borgia like this.
  12. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident Thread Starter

A little OT, but since I brought up The Breakfast Club, out of curiosity, I was looking up the bios and noticed that, at the time, Judd Nelson was 27 and Molly Ringwald was 16. Makes them kissing become kinda creepy.

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

There are actually quite a few other differences as well.... nothing that drastically alters the plot, of course, but enough minor details to make the book a very interesting "alternate" take on the story. (I've read it probably half a dozen times, it's one of my favourite books). :)

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Blazing Saddles

15. I haven't read it since I was a kid so you could be right. I also remember that Saturn was the destination in the book but Jupiter replacing it because Doug Trumbull couldn't figure out how to do the rings of Saturn (he did by the time he shot "Silent Running".

Rocker likes this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Deadly Blessing.

Alright, it's arguable if this movie was "good" to begin with, but I like it. But the ending is a total cop-out. It doesn't even make sense.

17. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I.T - TV Movie

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, one of the book's problems is that it treats the shark as an actual animal and not a Hell-sent supernatural monster of murder which can only be stopped by an explosion. :laugh:

19. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

To be fair, there's no way in hell that Steinbeck's ending would have ever passed muster with the Hays Office.

fr in sc likes this.
  20. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

He should have, but seeing how long the movie turned out to be I supposed he couldn't have. Then again, he could've cut the stuff with Joanne Dru out of the movie....never understood what her appeal was----the story as it was with Wayne, Clift and the cowhands was already great; adding her to the movie subtracted from a great film, I always thought.

21. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The Richard Gere-Andy Garcia movie Internal Affairs. Wicked fun for nearly its entire length, until the huge dud of an ending.

fr in sc likes this.
  22. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Just watched 'Caddyshack' this weekend and that one ranks up there for me. Yeah, I know, not a serious cinematic piece, but just the same.

Forget the explosion and even the fact that the putt wouldn't have counted under PGA rules. The thing that gets me is Al Czervik, with Danny Noonan standing over his putt to tie the match and send it to sudden death, or just end it in a draw, bets Judge Smails "double or nothing" that Noonan sinks the putt. Noonan "makes" the putt yet somehow the Judge is out $80,000 with Czervik's goons looking to rough up the Judge for the money. WTF?

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

10 Cloverfield Lane. John Goodman was so good in it, but I thought the ending could have been better.

24. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Most Hitchcock endings don't stand up. They usually end very suddenly, with the villain getting caught or dying and the film ending seconds later. One example that sticks out is North By Northwest, which, despite the cool camera trick in the transition, ends before you get a chance to figure out what just happened. Vertigo ends almost comically, with that last shot of James Stewart looking distressed at the top of the church, then a fade to black. Sometimes the sudden ending works, such as in Rope or Dial M for Murder, but it is usually just jarring. The one Hitchcock film I can think of that has an undeniably great ending is Psycho, which has to be one of the best ending shots of all time. You can't really fault Hitchcock for his lackluster endings, though, because that was Hollywood's way at the time, and the endings only feel awkward in comparison to the buildup.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Do you prefer the alternate ending to Vertigo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.