My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Looked at a new Jeep Renegade this weekend---no CD player available. We're likely getting a loaded Mazda CX-5 and I don't believe that has one either. In fact we would have to go with the highest trim level possible just to get Sirius/XM.

2. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

Seems to be the trend these days. I can say though, that I have not used the CD player in any of my last 5 cars so I won't miss it at all.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

What I think is amusing about the Renegade is folks buying them because they are Merican!

The Renegade is built alongside the Fiat 500X in Italy- its the same vehicle. Jokes on them.

The Fiat 500 and Abarth are assembled in Mexico with a US built Italian designed engine and an Italian built transmission- unless we are talking automatic then it's Japanese.

And the new 128 Spyder is built by Mazda but with an Italian engine.

It really is a global marketplace.

nightstand68 likes this.
  4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

You think you have it bad - my brand new Pioneer CD Changer (glove box) doesn't mate with my brand new Pioneer head unit.

5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Not to digress but the CX-5 is a very nice vehicle. The guy I car pool with just bought one and I'm impressed with the value. His doesn't have a CD player either but it does have the Bose premium sound system. :)

HiFi Guy likes this.
  6. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

So you knew it had no player and you bought it anyway so wats da beef?

7. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

New Car... no CD player.

That's the least of your problems.

(I wouldn't buy a new car w/o a CD player.)

8. You probably won' ever own a new car then unless you purchase one really soon.

SamS likes this.
  9. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

Which one is against the law? That one.

10. Methodical

My Toyota Sequoia has it all, too, plus a navigator and bluray player in dash and screen in rear. I get the best of all worlds, wooohooo. I use most of them, but have not done anything with USB, nor do I use my phone for music. I use my iPod Classic,CD, satellite radio and old school radio, just depends. Controls on steering wheel. Some manufacturers just know how to do it.

Great to have options and not be limited.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    SuntoryTime, ibanez_ax and darkmass like this.
  11. Methodical

One word. Crutchfield

Cockroach likes this.
  12. Methodical

Now, that's a car I would not purchase for sure.

13. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

What is Crutchfield going to do about it ? Most of what they sell are standard sized head units that can not fit where proprietary touch screen units fit and they have no way of dealing with the vehicle functions that are routed through the factory head units.

14. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I will say some of those new pioneer head units look really nice. I'm tempted to retrofit my 2010 Accord. I'm looking to get an end of year 2017 Accord though and I was considering even putting a new head unit in that straight away, considering that there's really no info on what it even does regarding music. But if it can't even be installed in the new cars… then I REALLY don't know what my options are :sigh:

I guess there's always duct taping a boom box to the dashboard

15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Must admit not used the CD in my car once and had it over three years now.

Mine takes up to 32GB USB sticks so filled one of those small micro USB sticks as full of my fave albums at 320K MP3 and all is good.

Many years ago I would replace the standard size head unit and also the front speakers for something more up market but I really just cant be bothered now. The standard Hyundai headunit works perfectly adequate.

I must say the best investment was replacing the standard tyres with Goodyear ones with the lowest noise rating. Was able to turn the volume down 5 points after having them fitted.

Well worth looking into low noise tyres.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  16. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Car CD players are probably the most dangerous playback device for discs - I never let my wife put any of my collection in them except the known-cheap stuff in the sell pile. And I'm it very keen on that even so. I'm sure the discs will cook in there through engine heat and the sun, the changer mechanism is probably compromised by the space, the cases float around the car until they are lost or dropped on the garage floor, the discs sit uncased while fumbling around for a substitute, and you take your life in your hands navigating disc and track selection on the move. I'm sure there are some people here who can tell about the sound treatments they've made to their vehicle but I don't think music will ever sound very good there, so give me Bluetooth and voice control every time.

17. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

My retort would have been "Guess who just lost a sale ..." :winkgrin:

Blank Frank likes this.
  18. Methodical

I just listened to some CDs I purchased from Goodwill on my way back to North Myrtle Beach from Murrells Inlet while on vacation.:goodie:

Love my Toyota:goodie:

19. Methodical

All of these features and touch screen to boot, in addition to controls on the steering wheel.

After seeing all of this about newer vehicles, just make me really, really appreciate what Toyota has done with this vehicle.

20. Methodical

I've left a CD in my vehicle player for over 6 months and no melting of any kind - plays like new. I've done no scientific testing, other than leaving mine in for more than 6 months, but I don't think disc cooking in a player is a concern.

21. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I don't want another new 'plastic' Junk car.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  22. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

my car has a CD player but no internal combustion engine. but it's a 2013 model.

23. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

this is a great idea. We swapped out the stereo on my wife's car and it's a big quality of life improvement.

24. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

^ This
    I use my FiiO X5 in my 2012 Civic - lack of aux jack would be a deal breaker. My X5 iii has blue tooth but I'd rather not use it if I don't have to.

25. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Finally looked at the 2017 accords - according to the documentation, USB file playback is only capable with MP3 or wma format... what year is it again? How does this thing not support FLAC? Other car manufacturers do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.