Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I went through the Conscientious Objector (CO) pathway myself. It was an interesting set of rules. If you did not check off "CO" on your 18th birthday, the Draft never had to grant you CO status. Then, at any time (any time over the next 4 years, if you had a college deferment), you could receive a package of questions in the mail. These were deeply personal, spiritual or religious questions which required substantial thought and long essay length answers. I believe you had 5 business days to return the essays back to the draft board (or 7 calendar days). If the draft board did not receive it, you could be automatically disqualified. Draft boards could be devious. They knew where you went to college and sent the essay questions out right at the final exam period. You had to choose between studying and writing term papers or devoting yourself full time to this set of complex questions about your spiritual life. I chose to focus on my CO essays and wing my exams. Then you never knew when they would call you to appear before the "tribunal panel" to try to tear apart your answers.

Henry Please and vanhooserd like this.
  2. djost

djost Hyperactive!

A new to me band and music - Snarky Puppy / Culcha Vulcha. Instrumental fusion, jazz, rock, and funk. On my second listen to this record and really starting to get into it.
    [​IMG]

Six String and alamo54us like this.
  3. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    It's been a while since I've listened to this classic, and it's a nice way to end the evening. My version is the RVG reissue CD. This is one I'd bet sounds great in a hi-res
    format.

rxcory, vanhooserd, garrincha and 2 others like this.
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Really like these guys. Along with this album the Family Dinner Volume I & II

djost likes this.
  5. [​IMG]
    Barney Wilen - The Osaka Concert (1999) Trema 710604

This just about completes my Barney Wilen collection (other than Zodiac). Finally got hold of a reasonably priced copy of this French cd release. Recorded in 1994 just a couple of years before his death, he was still at the height of his powers, playing a program of mostly French ballad material along with 'Night In Tunisia' and Duke Jordan's 'No Problem'.
    Very rich and spacious concert recording, doing justice to a prodigious talent. Wilen plays tenor, baritone and soprano horns on this date and moves between them all seamlessly.

Now playing: Gorillaz- Humans. With De La Soul, Grace Jones, Mavis Staples and Carly Simon! Interesting... and in places brilliant.

Soulpope, jay.dee, Six String and 5 others like this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Picked up the Classic Records 24/192 DAD version of this back in the winter. It does sound nice. It's still available on acousticsounds if you have a capable player.

alamo54us likes this.
  7. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

8. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

Starting today getting into a groove with...
    [​IMG]

rxcory, djost, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  9. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

Not always a fan of jazz guitar but just bought the CD reissue of this, which my Dad had on a cassette in the early 70s
    [​IMG]

Stu02 likes this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

They were big with the yuppie crowd back then, along with Kenny G and David Sanborn.

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If I remember correctly, Barney Kessel almost always had a big "show business style" smile for the audience on stage as he played, rarely looking at his guitar as he played but shining that smile. It was so different from all of the other well known guitarists that it was a little disarming,

But when I look at photos on line, I can find many shots of him looking at the guitar. Maybe the photographers were trying to grab that classic "guitarist studying his instrument" shot, or maybe the half dozen times I saw him Barney was glad to be playing in a club that paid him well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This photographer was quick!

[​IMG]

There was no audience in this photographer's studio so Barney was a little off balance, or maybe the photographer's motor drive was shooting 10 shots per second. Then again, serious photographers rarely want their subject smiling.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They say Spock was a huge Barney Kessel fan, but that his alien DNA did not allow him to smile

[​IMG]

Ellsworth, Spin Doctor, Aura and 3 others like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bye Bye Barney!

[​IMG]

dzhason likes this.
  15. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    NP.

Six String likes this.
  16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have those plus a few others. The sound is good. You won't confuse them with a MoFi or Music Matters reissue but they are solid. My sets were defect free also.

NP Jessica Williams - Some Ballads Some Blue
    Spinning this cd again this morning, something I rarely do (playing the same disc two mornings in a row. It's a great early morning album and I didn't feel like looking for something else.

Stu02 likes this.
  17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Miles Davis - Get Up With It (BSCD2)

[​IMG]

Speaking a few days ago of collecting multiple versions of Miles, I felt like I had to have the BSCD2 of this album even though I already had most, if not all, of the tracks covered between the complete Jack and Corner boxes.

rxcory likes this.
  18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra – Treasury Broadcast No.18 [Aug 11, '45][on Vol. 10 of The Treasury Shows] (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)

[​IMG]

Personnel:
    Shelton Hemphill, Rex Stewart, Taft Jordan, Cat Anderson(t); Ray Nance(t,vn,v); Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, Claude Jones(tb); Jimmy Hamilton(cl,ts); Otto Hardwicke(cl,as); Johnny Hodges(as); Al Sears(ts); Harry Carney(cl,as,bar); Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn(p); Fred Guy(g); Junior Raglin(sb); Sonny Greer(d,ch); Joya Sherrill, Kay Davis(v).

Titles include: What Am I Here For?, Harlem Air Shaft, Midriff, Everything But You, Ring Dem Bells, Mood To Be Wooed, Ring Dem Bells, Emancipation Celebration.

Live broadcast from Radio City Studio 6B, NYC.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    rxcory and Lonson like this.
  19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Ok that killed me. You had me laughing so hard I sounded like a barking dog. Not good for the office.

20. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

John SurmanFlashpoint: NDR Jazz Workshop – April '69 (Cuneiform Records)

[​IMG]

Personnel:
    John Surman: soprano and baritone saxophones; Alan Skidmore: tenor saxophone, flute; Ronnie Scott: tenor saxophone; Mike Osborne: alto saxophone; Malcolm Griffiths: trombone; Erich Kleinschuster: trombone; Kenny Wheeler: trumpet, flugelhorn; Fritz Pauer: piano; Harry Miller: bass; Alan Jackson: drums.

johnnypaddock and jay.dee like this.
  21. snowwhat

snowwhat Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I've been playing discs 9-11 of this Mosaic set over the last week or so. I didn't think I would enjoy this as I've barely listened to any jazz from the 40s, much less the 30s, but it's pretty great. It's a new sonic world for me. Sounds especially good late at night. :thumbsup:

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

23. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Listened to this on the way to and from my Dad's in Avon.

[​IMG]

Just finished:
    The SHM-CD
    [​IMG]

Just started:
    The Beat Goes Public edition:
    [​IMG]

Trying out some new tubes in my amp and preamp: Lorenz PCC189, NOS, got five for less than 10 dollars each including postage. Sound very nice. . .smooth.

rxcory, alankin1 and Six String like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is good news for you.

I have encountered many jazz listeners who have a difficult time listening to, or even trying classic pre-war jazz. I have encouraged them, and many have told me that with some "acclimation", or just continued listening, it all opens up to them. This was particularly true for jazz from the 1920's or early 30's.

Maybe it had as much to do with the sonics of the records as the musical styles.

I say, if you haven't adjusted to something like Louis Armstrong's Hot Five records, or Fletcher Henderson's band with Coleman Hawkins, just put it on for an hour or two. At some point, that music will explode and you will hear it as if you were right there. Same with the Duke.

Like your Mom said to you at the dinner table, "Try it! You'll like it!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]