ZZ Top Cinco: The First Five LPs (5LP 180 Gram Vinyl) June 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masterbucket, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I only have one of them ("Piper") and I really dig it. Certainly worth the money considering the cost of finding an original for anything close to that price point, haha.

Myke likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

So, for those who have good originals and have heard the new box versions of First Album and Tejas, what are the differences/ improvements of the new CB remasters?

I have originals of all of them that I'm pretty happy with so I'm just seeing if I need this new box.

0476pearljam, Ryan_Pretzel and Myke like this.
  4. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

This just in: The Hoffman Tres Hombres kicks some serious woofers! Here it is tickling my bronze!

[​IMG]

DTK, 808_state, harmonica98 and 2 others like this.
  5. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

An emphatic YES to that Hoffman/Gray master of Tres Hombres! It rattles the windows and shakes the walls at my house.

Yet I'm still so curious about the First and Tejas in this set. Are they that much better than an original pressing?

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  6. Bananas&blow

Wish i could tell you. I finally just bought this set because I kept running into these albums in terrible condition over and over in the used bins. If I had originals in NM condition I would have not bought this set. I can tell you that you will not be disappointed in the sound quality on this set. It's as good as it gets for me. 5 great albums in Mint condition for about $98 delivered for me. No complaints!

sonofjim, DoF and webmatador like this.
  7. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Hi how does Cinco's Tejas fare compared to first London pressing ZZ Top - Tejas ?

Thanks

8. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Which pressing is better US or EU or they're equal? Thanks

9. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

The US pressing is way better!! It is RTI.

DoF likes this.
  10. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Yeah... I did the A/B thing against my London copy and the Hoffman has better bass, more presence and a tighter focus... The Hoffman sounds true to the original, but better in almost all ways. Not in an overblown way, though.

I played Fandango the other day and for me, I'm not that crazy about the songs, and the presentation seemed way too bright. Those are the only two I've check out so far.

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It doesn't get any better than Rio Grande Mud, Tres Hombres and Fandango.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  12. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thanks - have you done any comparisons?

13. Bananas&blow

Interesting. The Fandango is also the Kevin Gray/Hoffman cut and it sounds terrific to my ears. Not overly bright by any means and I have 3 components in my chain that have been called bright before. Yamaha A-s801, Ortofon Bronze and B&W CDM 1NT.

But hey, I'm also crazy about the songs. Silly question probably, but you did listen to the studio side correct? Not sure how you could be a ZZ Top fan and not like side 2 of Fandango.

boboquisp and DTK like this.
  14. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

No....but i have talked to two different buyers of the EU version and they both had problems with the pressings!
    They both had 1 or 2 unlistenable LPs and all of them were noisy.They are not pressed at RTI.
    So i took a chance on the US version and they are all spotless perfect pressings and sound incredible!

DoF likes this.
  15. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thanks.

Metalrob likes this.
  16. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Ordered one from EU retailer yesterday, will see

17. Spin Doctor

Over the years, I've mostly only played the first three ZZ albums which I own already, but I was not familiar with Fandango and didn't know there was a studio side. I only had time to listen to the first side. I'll give it a flip.

I do dig ZZ Top, but I'm not really that much of a fan boy. I have a couple of sealed copies of Eliminator and Afterburner that I've never played along with some unsealed copies that I've never listened to. I think all my Top records were part of a mass rock collection purchase I did way back when.

What do you think of the concert tracks?

DoF likes this.
  18. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Every album in the box was cut from its original flat analog master tape.

Fractured, Ryan_Pretzel and DoF like this.
  19. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

To bad I found this thread after I bought the their first 7 albums :(. That said, I wish this set included the first 6 albums not just the first 5 as I truly believe "Degüello" is one of the best most kick a** releases e-v-e-r. I own that release on vinyl. CD, MP3 and 8 track (lol). Epic album from a solid group of guys :)

DoF likes this.
  20. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Where did you get it ?

Ryan_Pretzel, ODShowtime and DoF like this.
  21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The studio side of Fandango! is the best side of music they ever did, I think it is just wonderful in every way, I wish there was a whole album of studio tracks that sounded like this. About the sound, it is more open and less dark and bassy than the sound of Tres Hombres or the preceding albums, I think that is just how it was recorded and mixed (for example the bass guitar is lower in the mix).

I am not the poster you asked, but I rate the two first tracks highly, especially "Thunderbird", the medley I'm not so sure about. This album was one of the very first I got when I started buying albums, so I was a clean slate and took it at face value, so I can never re-hear that live side using the music experience I have had since, it is what it is, but I guess if I had heard it for the first time now maybe I would have thought the medley was a bit weird...? Great energy though (Frank keeps an amazing drum beat going through it all).

I am so glad that they did a release that concentrates just on the London years for once, Degüello is a totally awesome record, one of the best ever any catgory, but it does not belong together with these in any way, they had changed to a different band by then.

22. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Great point! Never thought of it from that angle. Given that, the recording selection makes perfect sense for this box. Thanks :)

23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Afterburner and Recycler aren't favorites of mine but I'd probably still be inclined to buy a nicely done box of the next five albums. That would include Deguello of which Rhino already has a great reissue that's OOP.

24. Spin Doctor

It generally takes awhile to warm up to a record on first hearing and I did think the medley was a little different, but I liked it way better than first couple of tracks, which was pretty much just more of the same ole re-tread stuff to me. I don't really care about Elvis covers, no matter who does them. I just want to hear their stories...

I think I'm the guy who prefers the "different band" since I also wish they had included Degüello.

DoF likes this.
  25. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Maybe they'll do a similar five LP Warner years box down the line, that would kind of make sense too (even if it wouldn't be as interesting perhaps). What would they call such a set I wonder? Has to be something that ends with -or/-er. :)

Edit: I see sonofjim beat me to that idea with a few seconds.

It's not so much about liking the one or the other (I like both) but what fits together. These go nicely together and are beautifully packaged with that Nudie suit cover (which signals '76/'77 World Wide Texas Tour). Degüello is kind of it's own thing, but goes better together with the later albums i.m.o.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Rockin' Robby, DoF and GroovyGuy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.