Sirius XM - what are you paying? (and for what channels?)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by head_unit, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

The last years, I've renewed annually for about $100 which is about what the service is worth to me. This time they said that annual thing was not available, but there was a music plan for like $11 a month. I figured "OK, I don't care too much about Howard Stern or talk" and said OK.

Turns out a lot of music channels are missing as well, basically the only "name" channel left is Ozzy's Boneyard. No Elvis, no Bruce, No Code er I mean no Pearl Jam, no No Shoes Radio, and no Volume either which I did like as a talk channel on occasion. I don't listen to each individual channel often, but given the low sound quality causing me to use this for default background listening I don't feel it's worth $11 a month to me.

So I'm wondering what others are paying now? Is there really no annual rate, or is that just their gambit to get me to pay more? Someone told me they pay like $6/month which I found hard to believe unless it's a limited time thing.

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

They gave me a promotional rate again for the Sirius Select package. I think it was like $135/year.

3. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

I pay $30 for myXM car radio. I listen to Deep Tracks, Willie's Place, Classic Vinyl, soccer, politics, & NHL. I dont get Stern or the NFL, and I don't care about that.

4. Jack

Jack Senior Member

About $18/month, for Deep Tracks, Beatles channel, Tom Petty channel, Classic Vinyl, The Loft, Outlaw Country, 60s on 6.

5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I renew on the 5 Months for $25 plan, every 5 months. With taxes it's $30.25, or $6.05 per month.

6. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I dropped it from my car as it's got bluetooth, a hard drive, two SD cards plus a DVD player.

My wife likes it in her car and we paid about $90 for a 12 month (music plan) subscription.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Sirius came with my new car. I get 3 months free. I like using it on occasion, but once the 3 months expire, no way I'd pay more than $100/year. And even at $100/year I'd have to think long and hard whether it adds enough value on top of Bluetooth, FM, USB, iHeartRadio, Google Music, etc.

8. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

I goofed, it's $30 for 6 months.

9. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

My mom signed up for Sirius to get the Beatles channel. It was by some promotion we got in the mail. I drove her car and rode passenger with her and I showed her 60's on 6 which I guess is the default station for her now. I also flipped between that channel and the Beatles channel when a song I don't enjoy much came on 60's on 6 or just to see what they were playing.

10. head_unit

How long ago was that? That package looks like what I had before.

11. head_unit

so do you keep calling in and threatening to cancel? Because that rate is supposed to renew at "then current rates"...

12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Absolutely. I call about 3-4 days before my subscription expires. I've had 100% success rate in getting the 5-month-for-$25 rate for over 5 years straight now. I don't mind spending 5-10 minutes threatening to not renew my service, instead of being renewed at $15-20/month or whatever ridiculous rate they try to get people to pay. They do try to offer various plans that are more expensive per month, and I say no, until they finally agree to let me have the 5/25 plan.

If they'll offer that rate for brand new subscribers (and they continually do), why shouldn't they honor it for long term members? They gamble that most people will just accept the higher rates and continue service with them. And it seems clear that's what's happening, so they continue with that model.

I just wish they'd give me a plan that is $5/month for 12 months instead, but they won't do that. So I play the game, and get the rate I want. The rate that I think is fair for their service. In return they get my continued business (for 2 cars/drivers, both at that rate).

13. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Just signed up for 12 months for $60. Select Subscription with the channels I like. Beatles, Underground Garage, Elvis, Deep Tracks, Petty, Sinatra, BB King Blues, Willie's Roadhouse, Jimmy Buffett, and loads more. Well worth $5 a month.

Here's the 12 month / $60 special
    12 months for $60 - SiriusXM Radio

14. BluRayVen

BluRayVen Well-Known Member

I got a promo rate of $30 for 6 months. the only channels I listen to are 66 Watercolors contemporary jazz, 71 Siriulsy Sinatra, and 73 40's Junction

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.