Sgt. Pepper 2014 mono LP back on Music Direct

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Grateful Ed, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Of course, right after I fork out $50 for a copy from Newbury Comics via Amazon it pops back up on Music Direct for $22.99.

Great chance to get a copy for anyone that's still looking! It certainly wasn't easy to find a reasonably priced copy during the last few weeks..

tmtomh and bluemooze like this.
  2. Grateful Ed

And they're gone again! Hope some folks here managed to get a copy.

3. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Online stores are taking the mono off their sites so that the 50th anniversary edition sells. That would be a pretty good assumption. Patience, the mono copies will be back. The vinyl mono box set is still widely available and is great.

Grateful Ed and Dave like this.
  4. Grateful Ed

I've noticed many of the mono titles dissapearing from online stores though - not just Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour. Music Direct and Soundstage Direct both said they do not know of any repressing plans.

5. Grateful Ed

The box is just such a commitment to buy. I much preferred being able to slowly collect the individual titles even though it means missing out on the book that comes in the box. I was able to get all the individual titles for around $275 (would have been under $250 if I didn't get antsy and pay $50 for a copy of mono Pepper)..

6. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

It is a great sounding record. Sgt. Pepper is my personal favorite of all the mono reissues.

johnny q and Grateful Ed like this.
  7. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

It might be a commitment to buy but if you love records, these are as close to perfect records as you can get. I bought all of the individual titles in a local shop days before the release (it was a surprise to see them and I couldn't resist) AND still accepted the pre-ordered box from Amazon. Worth every penny. If only the stereo mixes had been released on record with this much care...

If you are o.k. spending the money on these, know that it won't be wasted. That might not be what you want to hear, but someone had to say it :)

8. Grateful Ed

They are some truly amazing records. If I were unable to find all of the mono titles individually, I certainly would have sprung for the box at some point. Fortunately, I now have all 11 mono titles :)

The Beatles mono remasters along with the Dylan mono box is 90% of the reason I bought a turntable and am collecting records again. I'm still waiting on the repress of the Dylan box, but I'm preparing myself to fork out the cash for that one when it's available again.

I'm thrilled that two of my favorite artists of all time have had their catalogs treated so well in recent years. Now if we could only get a more comprehensive, all-analog reissue of The Dead's catalog. I'm not holding my breath though...

9. Grateful Ed

The first time I bought a used copy of the mono Sgt. Pepper, I placed it on the turntable and about 15 seconds in I thought, "this doesn't sound quite right." I got up to looked at the LP, and it said stereo on it! Once I actually got the mono edition and put it on I thought, "that's more like it."

Prophetzong likes this.
  10. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Don't feel too bad Grateful Ed. I bought an original Parlophone mono pressing for north of $80 just weeks before they announced the 2014 releases. I got a new mono pressing just in case. BTW they both sound spectacular with a nod toward the original.

Grateful Ed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.