Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Then there's the NYAUnreleasedS. Or is it the NYASpecialEditionS? Not sure if Hitchhiker is attached to any Archive series?
    Possible titles include:

Early Daze
    Time Fades Away II
    Original Tonight's The Night
    Homegrown
    Dume
    My Old Neighbourhood
    Ranch Romance
    Chrome Dreams
    Odeon/Budokan
    Hitchhiker
    Oceanside/Countryside
    Island In The Sun
    Old Ways I
    Old Ways II
    Meadow Dusk
    Times Square
    Toast

2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Isnt Old Ways 2 the album that was released as Old Ways in the 80s?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Meadow Dusk was probably just planned. My old Neighborhood is probably Dume. I don't know Ranch Romance. There was an acoustic Silver and Gold before the band treatment. There were 3 albums of country songs as well as the released Old Ways.

4. Heart of Gold

According to Neil the released Old Ways is Old Ways II. There was the 1983 Old Ways I. David Briggs had compiled other 2 different albums with 1983-1985 songs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Syscrusher

Old Ways III then, unreleased country stuff from 1985.

6. Syscrusher

s

At this point Neil could decide go back and try to reconstruct any of the albums he's ever mentioned.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I imagine a lot of that was covered with A Treasure. That's from 1985 isn't it? It all gets so confusing. I'd love to hear a studio Grey Riders though. Could be the best unreleased track so far from the Archive releases.

8. Syscrusher

Well two albums both better than the released album COULD have been released. These are just guesses but...

OLD WAYS 1983

Old Ways
    Are There Any More Real Cowboys
    Silver And Gold
    Depression Blues
    Get Back To The Country

Beautiful Bluebird
    Once An Angel
    My Boy
    California Sunset
    Daughters

OLD WAYS 1985

Time Off For Good Behaviour
    Leavin' The Top 40 Behind
    Hillbilly Band
    Misfits
    Fingers

Bound For Glory
    This Old House
    Your Love Again
    Amber Jean
    Where Is The Highway Tonight?

qtrules likes this.
  9. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Interesting. That's the first song on Randy Meisner's first solo record but it was written by Glenn Frey & J.D. Souther. Would have been a great Eagles track.

10. Heart of Gold

One of the David Briggs' compilations had Too Far Gone live and a different version of Bound For Glory, probably recorded in Pasadena with studio overdubs. There was also an unreleased live Farm Aid Ep from the 1985 summer concerts.

11. Heart of Gold

The new Hitchikker if sourced directly from a cassette or a two track tape is probably an original David Briggs project, if instead it's sourced recently from the multitracks, it's" a new" album.

12. connorjake

connorjake Forum Resident

Often wondered about that song, that I didn't know, (only taken 44 years
    to find out but what the hell!). I actually can't remember much about it
    now, I think at the time I thought it might have been an outtake from
    “Desperado”. I imagine now, that it was Meisner who sang it, but I really can’t be sure.

However, I think I am right in saying he only got to sing lead on “Certain Kind Of
    Fool” from that album, he certainly gets the first credit as writer on that
    and also first credit on “Saturday Night”, on which he has the high
    harmony part behind Henley’s lead vocal. There’s some great songs on
    that record and I think those two from Meisner are as good as anything
    else there. I’ve still got Paul Gambaccini’s original “Rolling Stone”
    review in which he states, “only one of the songs, Bitter Creek”, seems
    strained.”

13. polk

polk Forum Resident

I recall reading that Neil recorded a batch of new songs after his breakup with Carrie Snodgrass. Is that what Ranch Romance is?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I thought that was Homegrown but I could be wrong.

15. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i can't find anything about romance online, curious to know what it was supposed to be.

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

....be still, my beating snark.

17. Syscrusher

Ok here is all I know. I included it in my list because of this. It could be nothing of course, but the guy who wrote the book got the name from somewhere. He also includes some pretty accurate recording dates which leads me to believe he had insider access.

From John Robertson's 'The Visual Documentary', from the December 22, 1975 entry and speaking of the Northetn California Bar Tour: "The songs debuted at these December shows were briefly intended for release on an album to be called 'Ranch Romance', which would include both Crazy Horse and and Young compositions."

I'm thinking that this tour WAS recorded, contrary to what someone said earlier in the thread, and that 'Ranch Romance' could be the title of NYAPS Vol. 06.

Zeki and qtrules like this.
  18. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

what? i was being genuine in my comment.

OP (syscrusher - i love your name), if you detected any snark in my comment then i apologise.

19. Syscrusher

I don't understand KevinJ's comment either. But I like your a avatar.

20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I was just messin with ya. I wanted to say something snarky like, "google romance".

21. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Man, I'd love to see Rusted Out Garage released next!

Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and RomanZ like this.
  22. Heart of Gold

Pete Long, author of the detailed Ghosts On The Road based on the audience and the tapes stored in the Neil Young vaults confirmed that that Northern California Tour wasn't recorded. According to Archives Guy, the only tape in the vaults was the audience cassette of a concert provided by a fan.
    Effectively some songs were instead recorded in studio with Crazy Horse in the 1975-1976 timeframe.

23. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i have crazy horse in japan as volume 06 on my wishlist, but in thinking about it, the odeon/budokan release has been mentioned as an unreleased album. that should be separate from a PSA release.

so what could volume 06 be if it's from the 74-76 timeframe.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  24. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

From the website : Superdeluxeedition.com

Neil Young prepares a digital archive

NEWS
    Neil Young prepares a digital archive
    August 9, 2017 by Paul Sinclairtags: bruce springsteen, Neil Young, paul mccartney, The Rolling Stones

[​IMG]

SDE on Neil Young’s initiative + other artists successes & failures
    Neil Young is preparing to put his entire audio archive online so that “every single track or album” he has produced since 1963 will be available to be streamed at up to ‘full resolution’.

He is developing a new NYA (Neil Young Archives) ‘timeline‘ feature on his website that will allow fans to browse the music and zoom in and out of particular eras to see more detail such as dates of recording sessions, album art, and credits. Alternatively, the archive can be accessed using the NYA ‘filing cabinet‘ interface, where the it is presented chronologically; stored on ‘info cards’ with associated credits, memorabilia, films or videos. Information is still being added to the NYA, which Young describes as a ‘living document’.

All released material is available with unreleased album art ‘pencilled in’ on the NYA timeline so fans can see where they will appear “once they are completed”.

NYA will use Xstream Music high resolution streaming by Orastream. Neil makes a point of saying that Xstream Music master recordings always use “pure uncompressed masters”. It’s an intelligent system that adapts to your current bandwidth to deliver the best audio quality possible, up to hi-res 192 (which requires 6000 kbps – kilobits per second). The little analog-style meter on the NYA interface (see image above) informs you what bandwidth and musical audio quality you are getting.

Neil Young confesses that he is “very interested in collecting and organization as well as mechanical things and old school record keeping.” He released a physical box set of volume one of his archives, back in 2009 which spanned the period 1963-1972. That box was available on CD, DVD and Blu-ray. The blu-ray edition featured BD-Live technology, which allowed Neil to add new content after the physical set was released, although only half a dozen or so previously unreleased tracks were ever issued this way and such content stopped in April 2010, less than a year after the Archives box came out.

It’s not clear whether this digital archive project signals the death knell for future physical box sets, although SDE suspects not. The forthcoming release of Hitchhiker on CD and vinyl indicates that Neil hasn’t abandoned physical releases, although he may have done so for hi-res audio. In in his ‘note’ on the Archives homepage Young makes no references to cost or any kind of subscription model for this new digital archive, so are we to assume that this will this be a free service?

More news on Neil Young Archives when we get it. Visit the NYA holding page.

25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

just a regurgitation of what was posted last week. until there is content, this is all just a nice idea to distract us from the coming nuclear war...