Better Call Saul - Season Three Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stereoptic, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I compare this show to a show like House, another favorite from days gone by. They did something like 24 shows per year, but all they needed was a script and a few sets. BCS seems to have more location shooting, post-production, including music and special effects, make-up, extras, etc. In short, 14 fewer shows and 2x or 3x the work (or more).

George P likes this.
  2. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

its gotta be an amc thing, Preacher, Halt and Catch and a few others all stop at 10 at least go 13, there just isnt enough character development and then they like to do throwaway episodes then rush everything for the last 2 epsiodes

3. misterjones

I first noticed it with British TV shows like Doc Martin.

4. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Not sure House is a show I'd want to draw too many comparison too, as that was a case of a good show that went completely off the rails in its final two seasons, and in the end became an embarrasment (imho) to itself.

Hopfully, BCS will rebound, as, has some others have posted, I found much of what happened in the last half of the season to have been a major letdown.

rburly likes this.
  5. misterjones

Only with respect to the things I mentioned. I used it merely as an example of a 24-show season. I could have used any hour long show with that many shows per season, I suppose, but I have watched very few such shows over the course of several years. I didn't say anything about the entertainment value of either.

6. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Was watching the last couple of episodes of Breaking Bad on AMC yesterday and noticed something. Before Saul makes the comment about working at a Cinnabon in Omaha to Walt, he asks the guy producing his fake ID, "What's in Nebraska?" This (along with his delivery of working at a Cinnabon in Omaha) makes me believe that him actually ending up at a Cinnabon in Omaha is a coincidence...which seems far-fetched to me. Is this a mistake on the writer's part, a funny, intentional coincidence thrown in, or did he already know he was being set up at a Cinnabon by the time he spoke to Walt?

EddieMann likes this.
  7. misterjones

I think you can over-think some of this stuff, but as I've at least suggested in other posts, we aren't privy to a lot of conversation the fictional characters had or may have had. Maybe the guy who placed Saul responded to a similar joke to him by saying "actually that could be arranged if you want" and Saul responded by saying "yeah, sure, why not . . . I doubt things get any better than that out there in . . . what . . . Kansas City you said?"

Tim S likes this.
  8. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Usually it's small things that get over-analyzed and while this is hardly important, it wasn't small. Saul made the comment in BB and ended up there in Saul. I'm not ascribing any significance to it but I wonder what the thought was. Personally, if I had to guess, it was written into the BB episode as a throwaway line and someone at BCS picked up on it and figured "Why not?"

misterdecibel, Tim S and misterjones like this.
  9. misterjones

That too. I don't think the writers are beyond stretching believability a bit for a good joke. Had I watched BCS right after seeing BB and had a good memory, I probably would have gotten a good laugh at seeing Saul mixin' up the ol' Cinebon dough!

Hot Ptah and RK2249 like this.
  10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Lord knows I did.

Hot Ptah, RK2249 and Jim Pattison like this.
  11. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

On a side note, my loving and tolerant wife and I were at a trust lawyer's office today. The lawyer was explaining how she and her partner shared office space but had two separate practices. I turned to my better half and said, "Hey. Just like McGill and Wexler! It went right over the lawyer's head lol.

Boo Rad, RK2249 and halfjapanese like this.
  12. misterjones

Sometimes I think lawyers just watch doctor shows and doctors just watch lawyer shows.

RK2249 and EddieMann like this.
  13. Lonson

I don't know . . . both of my brothers (younger than I) are lawyers and both watch BCS.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  14. misterjones

If there's an exception, it is BCS. It is for me, as well (but only BCS). Every other lawyer show I've watched give me a headache with all of the eye-rolling I end up doing.

So maybe there's another reason. Maybe some lawyers don't want to admit (especially to their clients) that they watch BCS.

15. Lonson

Well, a DVD set of the season is out. . . but no Blu-ray. . . yet (I hope it's "yet").

16. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The official release on DVD and Blu-ray for Season 3 hasn't happened yet. (I don't think even a date has been announced).

There's a shady-looking DVD set from third-party sellers on Amazon; I don't think that's an official release and the few reviews are also indicating it's shady and missing stated bonus features, etc.

The official release should see DVD and Blu-ray released on the same date.

Season 1 and 2 were released on home video in the US in November each time, so the best guess would be November of this year for Season 3 as well.

17. Lonson

Thanks Balzac.

18. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

A bluray set would allow me to free up a bunch of space on my tivo box

This show was a great contrast to Breaking Bad. Kind of a palate cleanser. All the morbid death in BB really turned me off. I can deal with bad characters catching a slug (or being dissolved in chemicals), but when innocent people are murdered or tortured I remember why I prefer comedy.

19. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

We have discussed this point before. It seems like a throwaway line when Saul says it in Breaking Bad, not like a real option for his relocation. To me, it is the sense of humor of the creative forces behind Better Call Saul that Saul actually ends up at a Cinnabon in Omaha.

I did not remember that Saul says to the relocation man, "what's in Nebraska?" Now that could be very interesting. For example, if Kim Wexler leaves Albuquerque and goes home to the Kansas-Nebraska line by the end of the Better Call Saul series, then Saul at the end of Breaking Bad, years later, may want to be relocated to Nebraska to try to reunite with her.

But did the Breaking Bad writers/creators already have all of the Better Call Saul series plotline mapped out at the time that this line was written for Saul to say at the end of Breaking Bad?

Lonson likes this.
  20. Hot Ptah

I am an attorney and I often have fun discussing the show with other attorneys. Many attorneys watch it and love it. I have never met one who did not want to admit watching it.

Lonson likes this.
  21. Hot Ptah

After seeing Saul at the Cinnabon in the first episode of Better Call Saul, I went back and rewatched the episode of Breaking Bad in which Saul's relocation is discussed. To me, Saul in Breaking Bad clearly did not think he was really going to a Cinnabon in Omaha.

Then I laughed and marveled at the sense of humor at work in Better Call Saul.

RK2249 and Lonson like this.
  22. Hot Ptah

We have discussed this extensively on this thread. Many of us, me included, think that all of this past season of Better Call Saul was great and brilliant. I think that the last half of the season was one of the greatest achievements in entertainment history. I have no idea why someone would think that the season was a let down in any way, or that it needs to rebound. How can you rebound from greatness?

We don't have to agree on this. I am just pointing out that there are differences of opinion.

Lonson likes this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

See you in SEPT 2018!!!

Emmys: HBO’s ‘Veep’ Likely To Skip Race Next Year; AMC’s ‘Better Call Saul’ Also Won’t Debut In Time For 2018 Eligibility

Veep isn’t the only one of this year’s major series nominees that we aren’t likely to hear from on the next Emmy show. AMC’s Better Call Saul also will not air a new cycle of episodes in time for the eligibility cutoff informed sources told me this weekend. The plan at this point for the series is not to debut again for its fourth season until September, 2018. Although it was blanked at last night’s ceremony it was nominated for eight Emmys including Outstanding Drama Series and Lead Actor for Bob Odenkirk, and has been in those same categories for each of its first three seasons.

[​IMG]

Tord likes this.
  24. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

25. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

September? That is so disappointing. It's also, frankly, ridiculous.

Tord, ralphb and Craig like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.