Amazon using cheapy shipping bags for cds..

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by mooseman, Aug 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident Thread Starter

It seems that Amazon is using very thin bubble shipping bags for cds. The last few packages that I received were damaged, these are for the cardboard covers. I don't buy many cds anymore, I'm more into vinyl. I remember when amazon used to mail the cds in a small cd boxes, it was much better protection. This picture is of deluxe cd set I just got, I was lucky with this one. [​IMG][​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

They've been using packages like these for several years in my experiences. Quite a few mangled cases.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

At least 9 years here.

4. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I can't remember the last time I got an Amazon delivery of a single CD that wasn't packacged in one of those crappy bubble mailers. It gets even better when the envelope is ripped and empty... :pineapple:

Not that it matters, but you can't even leave "packaging feedback" on pre-orders so in most cases I can't even go through "the system" to report how chitty this is.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Galley, MikaelaArsenault and mooseman like this.
  5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Most of mine come that way.

I can remember when Amazon would send a spare jewel case for the already damaged jewel case of the cd I had bought.

MikaelaArsenault and mooseman like this.
  6. mooseman

It makes no sense, why would amazon keep sending these out with so many returns for damaged cases.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Because most normal people wouldn't send something back for a crack in a case. They'd either live with it or spend .50 cents on a new one. It's only people like us that freak out about that sort of thing.

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

My CDs from Amazon come that way but the CDs and the shipping bags are always fine. I have Prime though and things are shipped in 1-2 days. 2 or more CDs come in a box. When I didn't have Prime the delivery service they'd use would deliver it to another city.

9. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Been getting cd s sent in those for a decade. Very few issues after hundreds of deliveries...

SJP, Grant, MikaelaArsenault and 3 others like this.
  10. mooseman

I'm not just talking about the plastic case, I'm talking about deluxe cardboard cases that get bent up, read my original post.

11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Interesting how many people seem to have problems with the way Amazon ships CDs, but based on the way posts are worded it seems they keep coming back for more?

ScramMan2 likes this.
  12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

How are you getting the delivered? Prime or regular shipping?

13. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I get cds in the bubble wrap envelope but they've been in good shape. I have Prime now but only started it a couple of months ago, I didn't have any problems with the free delivery option (orders over $35) either. If I rec'd a mangled case I wouldn't hesitate to return it.

14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Amazon packaging, my favorite subject.

I'm OK with bubble mailers (jiffy bags) for CDs, BR-DVDs, and the like. Definitely not for books.

Anything purchased as new but received in a condition that can't immediately be listed as "new" on Amazon marketplace ought to be returned.

15. mooseman

I have Prime,

16. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I lucked out back in 2014 (or maybe it was even 2013) when I found a super-rare CD sold by Amazon for $16... it came in this weird cardboard contraption which was its own backing board, it kind of looked like a spaceship, with a window where the shipping information went. I can't describe it. I saved it, so I'll try to get a picture. That CD has shot up to $100 recently, if you can even find a copy at all. I'm so glad they didn't cheap out on the packaging.

Everything else I've bought from Amazon has been in the flimsy bubble mailers, including a 6-CD order once (several cracked cases there, but luckily nothing worse, and no digipaks). They're making enough money that they don't have to care, and they take that as an impetus to not care. Shame. Luckily, they've been shooting themselves in the foot all year, so it won't break my heart to stop buying from them and their marketplace in the future.

17. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Life is too short to get worked up by a cracked CD case, which when even undamaged is fragile. Yeah, it's a little disconcerting but as to freaking out, well, I'll let others do that.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Jiffy bags must be the gold service standard of shipping. I bought from one online place (can't remember which) and the cd came in a cardboard envelope. No damage but still...

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

So how many of you have seen the dreaded gray plastic bag, when used for shipping ? MovieMars was my first experience, via Deep Discount, around 2008 or so.
    An actual lightweight gray plastic bag !?!?!? with a mailing sticker barely attached to it.
    Made me stop using DD for many years.
    Then Blowitoutahere began using them, again, I quit.
    All that's left after that, is when they slap an address label to the outside of a CD, or album, and send it out ( see achives ).

mooseman likes this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

That's surprising. The condition of that shipping bad you posted is brutal, especially the bottom right corner. With my prime orders the shipping bags still look brand new. If a deluxe digi pack was damaged I wouldn't hesitate getting Amazon to resend another one.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

received a CD today from amazon.

in a jewel case.

in an envelope that was 18" x 14".......?????

the jewel case was cracked to hell, why would they ship this in an envelope that was 5 times the size needed with absolutely no bubble wrap or newspaper to keep it form moving around?

just does not make any sense.

23. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

You're in Ohio. It gets cold there.

24. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

There are others that use the grey bag. I just replace the jewel case if it bothers me.

How about the guys that send out a CD with no jewel case using $.48 FCM postage with no tracking in an envelope? They are out there too. Do they know a #10 envelope gets routed through machines? (it may not be a #10 as a CD is slightly wider, but they do use regular envelopes.) Parcels don't go through them.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The Jiffy Mailers (padded envelopes) are fine. And Amazon has been using them for many years. Occasionally, you'll get a mangled one and you may have to deal with a return. But by-and-large they arrive unscathed.

The gray plastic bags are assuredly a no-go. No padding whatsoever.

Any seller shipping the CD+inserts in a regular envelope without noting that fact before purchase is a con and an idiot. I'd send it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.