How did Shields and Yarnell ever get a show?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

They were Really Talented. Use to see them perform all the time in Union Square in SF.

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  3. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

The same way "Pink Lady and Jeff" did!

carrick doone likes this.
  4. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Me, too, as I mentioned earlier. Remember when someone would walk across the square, minding his own business, and Shields would walk behind, mimicking him big-time? That used to kill me, but it's hard to translate that to a TV show.

chacha likes this.
  5. DaleClark

Gumboo likes this.
  6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I vaguely remember them from TV in the 70s.

Robert Shields lives in Sedona AZ and owned some galleries, shops, and I think a restaurant at one point. I used to see him around town when I went out there to visit.

7. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I always thought that Shields and Yarnell had a bad case of the cutes.

8. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Yeah, it seemed that anybody with any sort of name recognition was given a variety show back in the 70's...The Hudson Brothers, Jim Stafford, Captain & Tennille, Tony Orlando & Dawn, Manhattan Transfer, Donny & Marie, The Brady Bunch, etc.

I suppose Shields & Yarnell were unique enough that they stood out. I remember them appearing on other TV shows prior to their own, so they did have a certain degree of acclaim and notice. I remember watching their show at the time. They were good, but also a bit limited by the format.

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

"Produced and Directed by Steve Binder"
    Seriously, is there a cheeseball 70s variety show he wasn't involved in??!! Amazingly, he directed one of the best examples of that genre (Elvis' '68 comeback special) and very worst as well (Star Wars Holiday Special).

I hadn't thought of Shields and Yarnell in ages before this thread. Decades maybe. I distinctly remember seeing them when I was little, but it couldn't been on any number of TV appearances. I do remember watching an awful lot of these cruddy stupid variety shows and specials while growing up, however. This is the kind of programming I instantly think of when people start lamenting about how much better TV was back in the day. :laugh: Riiiiiiiight....

dan c

10. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

:sigh:
    The Hudson Brothers also had a Saturday morning show. Their big catchphrase was "No thanks, we're trying to cut down!" I guess you had to be there... :sigh:

MarkTheShark and Gumboo like this.
  11. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

It's funnier with the finger snap/hand slap gesture. :D

MarkTheShark and GLENN like this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Okay now we got a name...everybody got your bayonets on? OK, after me,boys - C-H-A-A-A-R-R-R-G-G-E...!!!

This thread has dredged up my reflux symptoms from 40 years ago! I even had a dream night before last, turning on the teevee in the middle of Summer, and landing on some battle-of-the-network-superstars-ish show pitting Pink Lady, Starland Vocal Band, Shields & Yarnell, The Hudson Brothers, and everybody behind those Carpenters specials who weren't actual Carpenters*, all against one another. I think Paul Williams was the host, although it might have been Rodney Alan Rippie. Managed to wake up in the middle of a Swiffer commercial...

*I'm betting the craft services table scared her off the set.

Gumboo likes this.
  13. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I thought the same way about Joanie Loves Chachi.

14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I wonder why there was never a Loggins and Messina variety show.

GLENN likes this.
  15. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

That would probably be a hit on YouTube these days. Maybe they were ahead of their time.

Alan G. likes this.
  16. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Agreed. I think one of the reasons I used to like the show so much was seeing those form hugging body leotards worn by Yarnell (RIP).

17. DaleClark

I know it wasn't a variety show......but how did the Hager Brothers get a Made for TV detective movie? Networks were really desperate

18. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Is he the mime shown doing this in the Francis Ford Coppola film "The Conversation" ?

19. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

“The premiere last week broke the scoop that even the Captain and Tennille can be out-cutesie-wootsie’d.”
    Tom Shales - The Washington Post

20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think what was happening is they were trying things in the summer just to see what would work. For every summer replacement show that worked, there were likely a dozen that didn't. With a TV movie, the investment probably isn't that much and it might work. A number of TV movies did became series, including: The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Salvage, and Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

The hook with the Hager Brothers movie was that one of them was thought to be dead so they both would act as the same person, allowing him to appear to be in two places at the same time. To me it was a pretty tame hook but it could have been interesting although I don't know if it could have maintained a regular series.

An example of a summer replacement series that worked is Three's Company, which was popular enough to return. But there was also a show called A Year At The Top about two musicians (if I remember correctly it was Greg Evigan and Paul Shaffer) who make a deal with The Devil for 1 year of fame in return for their souls (I remember one scene where a woman who had already made the deal desperately tried to warn them but her contract with The Devil caused her to only be able to speak nonsense to them).

21. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I remember seeing a film clip where Shields was doing his mime bit in Union Square and walking next to some guy copying his every move in exaggerated fashion (as mimes do). Well the guy didn't take too kindly to that and decked Shields on the spot; he went down for the count!

22. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Yes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.