Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

It was mentioned among the 4 unreleased albums soon to be released in 2010. After a fan remark, Archive Guy precised that the live 1976 belongs to the performance series. In my opinion, Budokan-Hammersmith falls in the same category of Massey Hall 71 (original mix) and Blue Note Cafe Recordings (although for the chronological order and the new mixes, it's probably a new concept )

DmitriKaramazov and qtrules like this.
  2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Bold words!

3. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i think you are right.

4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I have a hard time getting excited about this simply because Neil has repeatedly pulled the "Lucy with the football" gag with his actual releases. I get where people think it's just cool to Neil bash because he promises things that aren't delivered. Ok, whatever - he's a bit of a flake and tends to think out loud in interviews. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about Pono vanishing without much fanfare. I'm talking about people who shelled out for the Blu-ray PRODUCT of Archives, Vol. 1 with the promise that it would be perpetually updated and you can't even get access to the tracks that were actually trickled out for it anymore.

He's got a bad record of taking money for stuff and then not delivering on the promise in full. Thanks, but I'll trust to what's on physical discs if I'm going to pay for anything here.

And no, I'm not bothered by the idea of buying a box and having additional content come out and see separate release down the road. That's par for the course. Paying for something that can disappear at someone else's whim and without warning is a no-go for me.

5. Heart of Gold

Rhi
    This time the website could last forever or at least during the Neil lifetime, if the costs of maintenance won't be prohibitive. I see it as an Archive.Org. thing and nothing more.

6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'd agree with that and, were this anybody else, I'd probably be willing to embrace it. Unfortunately, Neil has this weird habit of putting something out, throwing a lot of money and work behind it, and then getting bored and pulling the plug.

babyblue and rockclassics like this.
  7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I also wonder where his record label stands on this website. Are they involved in the development / maintenance of it? Are they funding any / all of it? Will they demand physical releases for some of his albums? Is this Neil going off and doing something on his own with his own people?

Answers to the above might give some indication how reliable this archive website would be as a long term venture.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

i was just looking through Ghosts On The Road and I couldn't find this statement anywhere. Can you share where exactly that information comes from?

9. Syscrusher

I would like to see a '74 CSNY tour comp of Neil tunes. Same for Stills/Young '76.

footlooseman and Echoes71 like this.
  10. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Very easy to make a killer comp of Neil tunes from the CSNY 74 set that came out a couple years back. I made one, using the Neil songs pretty much in the order they appear on the release, adding on the version of "Human Highway" from the Rock and Roll Cowboy boot as a "bonus track", and it is pretty much my favorite live Neil CD!

11. Heart of Gold

All the set lists in the book come from the audience tapes and the soundboards in the Neil's vaults. The results were supervised by Joel Bernstein, Neil Young 's Archivist. I know personally Pete Long. He rarely is wrong.

12. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

with the release of CSNY 1974, i can't see another dedicated PSA release for neil. maybe a few stray tracks on the archives like in vol. 1?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Syscrusher

Ya I figure that we might get a few stray tracks as well, just like Tell Me Why and Only Love from Volume 1.

It's just there are a bunch of tunes that really only get played on that tour and I would love to hear them in pristine live recordings. The Old Homestead, Homefires, Star Of Bethlehem etc.

qtrules and footlooseman like this.
  14. Syscrusher

So does he say that they told him they didn't record it, or he just didn't see it?
    The books amazing but I still hold hope for the shows that aren't in it.

15. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

Can someone direct me to the thread that is discussing the individual CD boxset releases? I can't seem to find it via search.

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

beasandpeans likes this.
  17. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Check out the note from Neil:

Neil Young Archives

He's added some links to show what the Timeline, Info Card and Filling Cabinet will look like.

18. I just knew it would be too much to ask that the links would show us something that we didn't have already in Volume 1.
    Free The Archives.

Defrance and Heart of Gold like this.
  19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

ok Neil.. not funny anymore

20. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul Thread Starter

He and Kevin Shields are both frustrating to be fans of.

21. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

Oh Please, Neil has put 500 albums out in the last 30 years Kevin has put out 3. Not even in the same league. As a massive fan of Stone Roses, MBV and Talk Talk, I'd say Neil fans have things pretty good.

22. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Agreed. We get a new Neil release about every year. Try being a fan of Guns N Roses---now that's a drag.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul Thread Starter

LOL, true. The Archives, though, are in Shields territory. The only one of his new releases I've listened to this decade is Psychedelic Pill. I have little interest in the rest of it.

24. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

That's cruel.

It looks great, but so cruel to just post a screenshot.

Just get on with it, Neil!

25. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Good to see that the good will induced by the release of "Hitchhiker" lasted about 15 minutes.